Your Top Movies & Recommendations

Started by dsanchez, July 11, 2007, 00:34:22

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

Quote from: ROGUE on November 23, 2007, 19:42:29
Re: Harry Potter books [...]
I like them also that it gets kids reading, but i couldnt find the urge to read any more of the same/similar format myself. I mean god why couldnt the Harry potter kids go on a camp or something? always the same old, same old.. in some ways it was charming, but too much is just too much.

i agree it's good if it gets kids reading but sometimes i have a feeling it only teaches some of them to be very selective readers (i.e. only reading the same old potter books again and again and when picking up a new book only choosing similar stuff to it) then it's really not worth much. there's so much to read, so many books out there... so why restrict yourself into one genre?
it's always a shame if (young) people start picking up things of interest because of the surface/genre only: they read one fantasy book and they like it and then they think "i liked this book > this was a fantasy book = fantasy books are great!". it's the same as if: "squirrel has a pair of ears > my friend joe has a pair of ears = my friend joe is a squirrel!!"  :roll:

(heh yes all those potter nerds, they should go and join the boy/girl scouts or something :P).
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

ROGUE

Yeh hehehe thats it, get those little germ-o-phobics into the natural bush setting, play with mud, have campfires,
but dont forget your ventilator, mobile phone, ipod, sunscreen, hats, protective wear.....ahhhh fluck it, aint the same as the
old days.... thats for sure, Its all too soft these days...  :smth075  -well some are...   :smth100 not all.

When i was young girls werent aloud in Scouts  :cry: only girl-guides and i just thought that was pox, i wanted to play in mud,
and climb trees, not learn how to be a house wife !!  Do kids do this anymore, play outside ?   Yes I feel old.  :roll:  but wanted to get that out.
:smth017

Anyway i agree !! So many great books out there, I really love sci-fi mostly, but not the 'bug eye monster' books. Love the old
sci-fi, have a collection from the 70's - really cool.

~*CherryRed*~

Chatting about books is slightly leaning off topic - well not slightly, it is off topic! BUT - I wondered if anyone has read The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy books? I've been trying to get a hold of a 1st edition print for ages. As all the ones I find have cover-art that has been taken from the 2005 movie. I remember watching the TV series when I was a youngster, and when the movie came out I went along to see it... didn't think much of it, but bought the DVD anyway (as you do in this consumer-ist life we lead) and now I'm a huge fan and watch the film quite alot! In recent months I've been surfing/google-ing HHGTTG and it is really amazing just how much stuff is out there! Who knew hey?!? Anyway, what do you out there think of the film as oppossed to say the books/TV series?.

(I really love the pig like animal in the TV series that encourages you to eat it!)
"prone to flights of whimsy"

scatcat

~CherryRed~   I have Douglas Adams' The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The Trilogy of Four. It is a Picador publication. Having a look , it was first published in 1979 by Pan Books.(that was the first book), the next ones were published in 1980,1982 and 1984, respectively, all by Pan. A good site that I often use to get rare books, and hard to get editions is www.abebooks.com
I hope this helps you.  :smth023  happy reading!

~edit~.. just checked abebooks for the edition you were looking for, there are quite e few that have the 1st edition. just type in author, title.. then scroll down to the 1979 Pan editions... !
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Carnage Visor

I agree, we are shifting too-far off-topic, why don't we go back to talking about movies and start a book thread?  :smth023

That sounds like a fab idea to me... :D

*I'd start it myself, but I'm admittingly not as good as some of you at that whole thing!  :)

There's this really good movie, has anyone seen it? It's called "ED WOOD" and it's a Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp in the lead role, a very great combo if you ask me.

The film is a satirical look on 1950s sci-fi director Edward Wood, who made some of the most awful movies and thought the world of them. It's a great inspirational, yet hilarious film, and Ed's outlook on life is always optomistic in the film, no matter what happens.

You gotta love a Tim Burton film!  :rocker

P.S. sorry about the annoying colors, I'm experimenting a bit... ;)

Janko

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on November 28, 2007, 04:01:31
I wondered if anyone has read The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy books?

IT'S ONLY ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS EVER WRITTEN...
HIGHLY RECOMENDED!

:smth023 :smth023
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

ROGUE

C V ~ havent heard of "Edward Wood", must have look, love T.Burton films indeed.    :smth045 reminds me of the name Edward Wood Wood., . .
        Like the sounds of it.-the film that is.

I love "THHGTo The Planet" great book, havent seen movie, another one on the list, and a t.v. series, cool.  :D

edit~ yes!   :smth050  thats what its called Sweeny Todd~ cant wait to see that one.  :smth023  luv the preview to it, (another thred)

WOW Alice In Wonderland, thats perfect  :shock:

Hero

Carnage Visor ~ I have Ed Wood! Its really fantastic, I love Tim Burton/Johnny Depp films too. I think Sleepy Hollow is the best one followed by Edward Scissorhands.
Sweeney Todd looks like its gonna be great and i just heard Tim Burtons making Alice in Wonderland!!!!!! :-D

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: scatcat on November 28, 2007, 05:45:54
~CherryRed~   I have Douglas Adams' The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The Trilogy of Four. It is a Picador publication. Having a look , it was first published in 1979 by Pan Books.(that was the first book), the next ones were published in 1980,1982 and 1984, respectively, all by Pan. A good site that I often use to get rare books, and hard to get editions is www.abebooks.com
I hope this helps you.  :smth023  happy reading!

~edit~.. just checked abebooks for the edition you were looking for, there are quite e few that have the 1st edition. just type in author, title.. then scroll down to the 1979 Pan editions... !

A-ha! Brilliant, Cheers very much... there goes the credit card again! hehehehe

~*CherryRed*~

TIM BURTON doing Alice In Wonderland *skips around the room* I can't wait to see that! LOL, I wonder what role Mr Depp will take?!

I have a huge soft spot for Edward Scissorhands, Mr Depp really tugs at something inside.

Has he won an oscar yet? And if not, why the hell not!!

Has anyone watched the BEE movie that Jerry Seinfeld is apart of? I'm not sure if I should bother spending the cash at the cinema, or wait for it to circulate through the not so legal channels - (Oh, come on, you all do it ;)!)

robiola

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on November 30, 2007, 07:58:51

I have a huge soft spot for Edward Scissorhands, Mr Depp really tugs at something inside.

Has he won an oscar yet? And if not, why the hell not!!

He would certainly get my vote... Maybe he's a little too unconventional (is that a word or did I make it up? I'm forgetting my English).
Did you ever see "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" with Johnny and a very young DiCaprio?

scatcat

oh yes... What's Eating Gilbert Grape!! great film.. AND I HAVE yet to comment on Edward Scissorhands.. Tim Burton films .....
I love JohnnyDepp!! Secret Window I love.. (I may have mentioned that one before??) :smth060 :smth049 :smth049 :smth049

not a DiCaprio fan, although  he was ok in The Man With The Iron Mask, and the later one.. Blood Diamonds.. I think he pulled the Africaaner(?) accent off perfectly!

This is a tough subject.. It would be great if we could have the top 7 movies in different categories, like comedy, drama, etc.. but still too hard to finalise the list...  :smth011
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

robiola

Quote from: scatcat on November 30, 2007, 16:17:34
not a DiCaprio fan, although  he was ok in The Man With The Iron Mask, and the later one.. Blood Diamonds.. I think he pulled the Africaaner(?) accent off perfectly!

I'm not much of a DiCaprio fan either, but I think he was just great in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape". During one of his scenes I remember I just started sobbing in the movie theatre. I don't understand the fuss about him being a sex-symbol -- he just doesn't do it for me -- but I think he's talented.
Now Johnny --  that's quite another story.... He's talented and impossibly sexy. :smth007

I can't come up with a favorite movie list either -- too many to choose from!

ROGUE

Quote from: robiola on November 30, 2007, 17:32:43
I'm not much of a DiCaprio fan either, but I think he was just great in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape". During one of his scenes I remember I just started sobbing in the movie theatre. I don't understand the fuss about him being a sex-symbol -- he just doesn't do it for me -- but I think he's talented.
Now Johnny --  that's quite another story.... He's talented and impossibly sexy. :smth007

I know DiCaprio, eww only if you like them skinny, small and feminine. Maybe if he was female, joking, sort of.   :smth017
But love Johnny, even if he still speaks with that pirate slurr, love him  :smth060

Hero

Quote from: scatcat on November 30, 2007, 16:17:34
I love JohnnyDepp!! Secret Window I love.. (I may have mentioned that one before??) :smth060 :smth049 :smth049 :smth049

Wow i love Secret Window too! "you stole my story!!"
I love the bit with the screwdriver..its a bit sick but i really love it.
I love Johnny Depp but not as much as i used to, i love Noel Fielding now :smth049