Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

rjl

Currently my Ash/Bravery masters from 2005. Never got around to splitting them up, and trying my hand at EQ-ing them. Mixed sucess so far. Trying to translate my WinAmp EQ settings to Audacity/Rezound (Linux WAV editors), as I can get them to sound quite nice on my desktop. Just trying for the best sound for my car / home stereo now.

If I can get them tightened/brightened up enough, I foresee a DIME seed, as I've been sitting on them for a bit after not really finding any other tapers for that tour.

Steve

Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

japanesebaby

MAGENTA SKYCODE - probably the best music from finland at the moment.
some tracks from their first album can be listened here:

http://www.myspace.com/magentaskycode

check out 'red eyes' or the video link for 'people', for instance.

"finnish quintet magenta skycode sound like the cure re-imagined by phil spector, making the sort of anthemic goth-pop that the bravery might be able to pull off if they weren't such a bunch of irrepressible fools" (said by the great escape t-mobile guide)

from their official website:

Raving reviews in Finnish media and abroad have paralleled Magenta Skycode with the likes of Air, David Sylvian, The Cure, Kings of Convenience, The Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Cocteau Twins etc. A more accurate comparison also would be early/present electronic movement. The songs of MS have an affectionate connection with songs of their peers. Indeed, "IIIII" is a masterpiece of its own â€" described well in Drowned in Sound as "a debut marked out by subtle, warm songwriting and hopeful spirit."

people:
jori sjöroos: voice, guitar, accordion, computer
tomi mäkilä: organ, synhesizer
niko kivikangas: drums, percussion
henry ojala: guitar
kalle taivainen: bass

ok not sure about the cure reference there hehe but i don't care, i just really like how their sound.

i'll be going to see them tomorrow night on a club gig - really looking forward to that! :smth023

http://www.magentaskycode.com/
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

rjl

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 29, 2007, 22:29:51
ok not sure about the cure reference there hehe but i don't care, i just really like how their sound. check out 'red eyes' or the video link for 'people', for instance.

Wow... I hope they come to the states (not likely, huh?). Neat stuff! I just checked out 'Red Eyes' and will have to check out the rest once I get home from work.

Not sure if I will be able to find the album around here, but luckily a friend from school was from Finland, and moved back there shortly after graduation. I'll have to drop him a line soon...

japanesebaby

glad you like them! i've been really been thrilled about this group lately, and i'm really interested in seeing them live. they haven't played so many live shows around here so far either, i think.

Quote from: rjl on August 29, 2007, 22:39:10
Not sure if I will be able to find the album around here, but luckily a friend from school was from Finland, and moved back there shortly after graduation. I'll have to drop him a line soon...

i can always help you with that too, if you want. just let me know.

(+i think there's a couple of links to some online stores on their myspace website too. maybe some can post overseas?)

Steve

ooooh. I Like Red Eyes :-D......... a lot
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 29, 2007, 22:29:51check out 'red eyes'

You know, the beginning of this song sounds almost like Livin' On A Prayer by your other favorite band...

:lol:

japanesebaby

jeez, anything i post in this thread you seem to hate/find ridiculous... :?

j

Quote from: lostflower4 on August 30, 2007, 06:17:19
Quote from: japanesebaby on August 29, 2007, 22:29:51check out 'red eyes'

You know, the beginning of this song sounds almost like Livin' On A Prayer by your other favorite band...

:lol:

Reminds me of my Hoff pic on frappr....

j

rjl

That picture of JBJ is the last thing I needed on my monitor this morning. Thankfully, no one was walking past my desk!  ;)

So gross...

Janko

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Carnage Visor

MAGAZINE - Motorcade!!!

And I love the album artwork...it's so me!

Cris

Tea Party - Release

Love this song.  :D

japanesebaby