The Virginia Tech massacre

Started by Janko, April 17, 2007, 04:18:02

Previous topic - Next topic

rjl

Quote from: Steve on April 18, 2007, 16:50:49
Is the mayor really offering a $200 gift voucher gun amnesty?  :shock:

Well, he was. Silly, as I imagine that even if a gun can be purchased cheaper than $200 that on the street (prob. not, but I've never really researched that market!), it's probably worth more than that in the commission of most illicit activities requiring one...

...and these guns pass hands oftentimes. I would not want to be the guy who returned one that traces back to an unsolved murder/assault. Not worth $200!

Again, if someone is capable of stepping the unimaginable boundary of taking a life, the registered/unregistered status of his firearms is pretty much meaningless.

It's sad how the headlines seem to be focusing more and more on the gunman, and not as much on the victims. I guess that it makes for more "interesting" reading, and news outlets are for-profit businesses... But something tells me that the coverage is playing off of typical human morbid fascination than it is in analyzing the causes and reasons for such insanity.

Janko

AND THE WORST THING IS THAT :

PEOPLE WILL GRADUALY HABITUATE AND IN A COUPLE OF YEARS THE SCHOOL SHOOTINGS WONT BE SO UNUSUAL AND ALARMING...

PEOPLE GET USED TO PLENTY OF WEIRD STUFF!

FOR EXAMPLE IF THE NEIGHBOURHOOD BECOMES DANGEROUS BECAUSE OF CRIMINALS, THE PEOPLE MOVE OUT INSTEAD FOR ASKING FOR POLICE TO CLEAR THE AREA...

:smth011
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Draped

So.. when will nuclear missiles become legal.. I need one to defend myself!

Janko

NUCLEAR BOMBS?!
WELL, IN AMERICA PEOPLE HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE ASSAULT RIFLES... SO THE BOMBS ARE ON THE WAY...

:smth023

rjl

You might find it odd, but even though I come down on the "pro-gun" side (well, let me re-phrase that... the not-anti-gun stance), I believe that nuclear weapons are the absolute worst invention ever. When I was a child I was pretty much in awe of them. I mean, man had harnessed the most unrivaled destructive force on the planet. It was pretty mind-blowing.

Years later, as an adult, I don't like the idea of that much power being available to anyone. It may not happen in our lifetimes, but it's pretty much a given that at some point some of them must be used (well, used again), especially if, say Iran, ends up building them.

And they'll never go away... It's hard to disarm when your enemies and friends-for-the-moment can crush you with the press of a button.

Bloodflower

I think you can gauge the ranking of Most Dangerous to the World by how many nuclear weapons countries have. Guess who ranks at number one on that list....
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

Janko

IT'S JUST THE MATTER OF TIME ...

SOON, EVERY COUNTRY WILL HAVE SOME SORT OF NUCLEAR WEAPON AND THEN WE'RE F'D UP FOR GOOD!

BUT THEN AGAIN, THERE WONT BE SO MUCH UNILATERALISM AS THERE IS NOWADAYS...

:-D

PS

AND IN ABOUT A 100 YEARS, EVERY NERD GANG WITH NUCLEAR WEAPON WILL BE ABLE TO KICK SOME BULLY ASS IN EVERY SCHOOL!

:-D :-D :-D

strange_day

I was sad to hear about this, but in no way surprised, like tof said, as long as there are guns there will always be this kind of thing happening.
If George Bush was so deeply devastated by what had happened why didnt he do something about it? hmm, well i think we all know why.......
Its interesting to think that if they banned guns it would have no effect, but it would mean not every american had one, which is how it seems at the moment. Guns only have a limited amount of household uses so whats the reason to buy one? If the sole intention is to have it to protect yourself, what does that say about the climate of fear that surrounds america, coming from the media and government?

What shocked me the most was that the killer had posted the details of what hed done and made a video tape, to send into a news channel.
And what did they do? They showed it for days and days after, it was on the front page of every newspaper and on every news channel, even over here in the UK. They gave him exactly what he wanted, his place in history along with all the other world famous murderers. They did pretty much as he instructed, Why?

I understand that bringing in gun laws may have no effect, but if its legal for you to go out and buy a gun, legal to use one, then where does it end?

Janko

Quote from: strange_day on May 13, 2007, 14:55:12
I was sad to hear about this, but in no way surprised, like tof said, as long as there are guns there will always be this kind of thing happening.
I understand that bringing in gun laws may have no effect, but if its legal for you to go out and buy a gun, legal to use one, then where does it end?

WELL, HERE'S A GREAT GUN CONTROL LAW:

EVERYBODY HAS A RIGHT TO HAVE A GUN BUT ONLY AT HOME (IN THE HOUSE) AND NOT OUTSIDE.

IT'S OK TO HAVE A GUN TO PROTECT YOUR HOME AND FAMILY...

AND, HOW DID TEH KOREAN KID BUY GUNS IF HE WASN'T A FULL AMERICAN CITIZEN?! IT'S INSANE!

:smth011