Doc Martens Boots

Started by ~*CherryRed*~, August 24, 2007, 02:43:24

Previous topic - Next topic

~*CherryRed*~

Oi!
I was recently asked about my Doc Martens in here by a fellow poster, and thought that the iconic boot deserved a space in here somewhere all of it's own! Cure fans do tend to wear the black varity a fair bit! Even our lovely Simon wears 'em! For the record I own a pair of cherryred 14 hole (or eyelet) steelcap boots, plus a pair of black 20 hole steelcap boots. And I keep them polished! I generally berate people that don't keep their boots polished, as it's 'just not cricket' as my saying goes!!

I wondered how many other cure-ies owned a pair and what they had. I have to say that I am very much a trad. in this issue, and can't be doing with the new fangled varieties that the Company is spitting out these days!

"prone to flights of whimsy"

Sussex

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on August 24, 2007, 02:43:24

Oi!
For the record I own a pair of cherryred 14 hole (or eyelet) steelcap

"CherryRed"....Ooooh..thats why.. :-D

Love Doc Mart..i think it is one of the miracle in the world..

I have the one with 10 eye right now..and im looking for the 20 eye steel cap..( the one that ~*CherryRed*~ have..) Lol!
"Thick As Shit"

~*CherryRed*~

LOL... yep you've got the Doc fever pretty bad Sussex!! I suggest you look on the net for the 20 holes. Get them from the States. Try ebay even. Good Luck.

Steve

I used to be a regular in 10 hole black docs, but the steel toe capped ones I never really liked.
Didn't see the point unless you were working somewhere where you could drop a load of stuff on your foot.
They were comfy, not showy & warm in the winter.
The new styles out now are utter pants though.
Far too "emo' imho.
As I got more into goff, I gradually switched to buckle & cowboy boots.
Haven't had docs for yonks now, but if I see a pair in a shop window, I always stop & consider them.
@CherryRed
No excuse for not having polished boots.
As you say "it's just not cricket".
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

strange_day

I own a pair of black 8 hole DMs, theyre the only shoe i have worn in the past 2 years! that pretty much says it all.

japanesebaby

i'm in dire need of a new pair. my current boots aren't doc and i don't like then as much and they are also starting to fall apart soon.
i was actually in a local shoe store today, to see what they have. anyway, i'd need to find a good online store because a pair of docs here costs some 160-200 euros... :roll:
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

by the way, a scan from a doc martens ad from 1999:

The Cure formed back in 1978, and although several of the key band members did not wear DM's - many preferred pointed suede shoes or in Robert Smith's case, oversized tongues on white basketball boots - Simon Gallup frequently wore knee-high Docs.

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 24, 2007, 19:18:23
i'd need to find a good online store because a pair of docs here costs some 160-200 euros... :roll:

That's almost 33% of my monthly salary :shock:
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on August 24, 2007, 20:03:18
Quote from: japanesebaby on August 24, 2007, 19:18:23
i'd need to find a good online store because a pair of docs here costs some 160-200 euros... :roll:

That's almost 33% of my monthly salary :shock:

it's a lot of money for me too. living in finland means getting ripped off all the time. :(

rjl

I've gone through a couple of pairs, one lasting me 7+ years of daily wear and tear. They started out black, and ended up almost greyish-green by the end...

However, I'm not buying another pair until they bring back the oxblood ones. Those were awesome, and I am kicking myself for never picking up a pair. I've read tthat you can sort of "create" some by wearing the cherry red Docs, and then working black polish into them from time to time, repeating until it creates a darker, marble-ized red appearance...

Although I don't want to wear pure red boots for however many months it takes until they are "perfect"...

crowbi_wan

I'd like to lace my Docs up and kick some ass over this delayed tour shit.

rjl

Go steel-toe for that shit. Helps make your point.

silversand

Yes, Doc Martens are expensive. If you buy them e.g. online at the German Doc Martens Store you have to pay ca. 110,00 â,¬ - 160,00 â,¬ for the classics. But anyway, i like them very much  :).

~*CherryRed*~

LOL well then! I'm glad to see ther are a few others in this forum that have excellent taste in boots! (hehehe).

rjl: I did that with my cherryred ones, except I used a brown polish and worked it into the creases. Seems to have come up ok, but still no way near as good as the ol' original oxbloods... My cherries are so worn that they slip in the wet now too! But I really hate the new Doc look, so I have put off replacing them!! One day I will, I'll have to for health and saftey reasons!! LOL I'll slide everywhere not walk!!

Docs are dear, but when you consider the life that they have in them (if loved and cared for!) I reckon the cost is well worth it!!! I also would like to brag here and say that I own a pair of the original pointed suede Doc Marten 'creepers' that they produced way back in the day!! Most new creepers these days are completely different to the Doc creepers that I have... And I dare not wear them anymore for fear of them getting ruined!!! They're like a museum piece to me now!!! They did have the logo on the inside sole, but that wore of years ago!

One online store from memory that used to sell Doc's is www.electricchair.com But it's been a while since I looked on there... so not sure! But basically any search should produce some online stores that stock them. I think most people are looking at around the US$300.00 mark these days, and then postage on top!! (I've no idea what euros are in A$ or USA$ for that matter.. so I have no idea if that quoted price in euros is expensive or not!)

Steve: I have always hated the non-steel cap look! I always think it makes the boot look lifeless somehow... hmm, not sure if thats explaining it right!?! And I have to say that I liked the boots Mr Smith wore on the tour too... the buckle boot's seem to be very popular these days!! (might have to get meself a pair before the trend dies!!!)

Cheers to japanesebaby for sharing that photo of Simon in Docs too.. interesting!!!

Siouxsie_

I've got a pair of black 6-hole Docs.