Sweeney Todd - TRAILER!

Started by [labyrinth], October 04, 2007, 20:43:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Nice linky labyrinth
I am dying to see this & have been since it was announced it was being made.
I think JD does a great English accent.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

Carnage Visor

silversand

Thanks for the link labyrinth :)
It's a great trailer and i love Tim Burton films!

Hero

Its not out until 25th January here, still so long to wait! :smth011

LuvURobert

Quote from: Carnage Visor on December 24, 2007, 18:35:41
I'm seeing it today!

Carnage, you'll have to give us your review when you get a chance!!  Can't wait to hear what someone thinks of it!  :-D
"And I shiver and shake
When I think of how you make me hate"

Carnage Visor

I'm no good at reviews, but I'll give it my all:

Sweeney Todd was a fantastic, bloody romp set in the 1800s during the big plague that turned literally everyone into gaunt, primitive beings with little to no morale. The setting established during the opening credits, the films highly stylized, almost comic-like atmosphere catches the viewer's attention and drags them into the scenes with intrigue.

Johnny Depp is Benjamin Barker, a man sentenced to prison for 15 years for no reason, his daughter taken away and his wife supposedly dead. He escapes, and under the pseudonym "Sweeney Todd", he makes his way back merry old London to get rid of a few ghosts of his past.

His mind overtaken with thoughts of vengence against the evil Judge Turpin and his skumbag sidekick (the Beadle), he resides in his old Barber Shop from so many years ago, above Mrs. Lovett's Pie Shop. Business has been weak in recent times, what with the cost of meat...

What follows is one of the bloodiest, darkest series of events I have witnessed in years. Tim Burton's directing is extremely faithful to the feel of the original broadway production (which I had the pleasure of seeing on DVD), but adds a heavy dose of gothic flare and a plethora of gorey scenes which would make George Romero pee his pants.

The music is above-par, if that's possible. The orchestral arrangements are fantastic, powerful, and moving. Depp's singing is suprisingly great, as is the acting of the ensemble cast. The movie really plays on everyone's strengths. Johnny Depp is both menacing and yet sympathetic. His daughter, the young Johanna, is finally played by a teenager (in the original productions, she was cast by a much older woman, which really doesn't make sense since she should only be fifteen...), and Mrs. Lovett is played by the always fantastic Helena Bonham Carter. The rest of the cast, featuring big names such as Alan Rickman, Sacha Baron Cohen, and Timothy Spall, are at their best.

I was amazed by the gore effects. If anyone ever thought that musicals were "gay", they should definately reconsider. With blood, guts, and grime, it's really up their on the "tough guy" side!

In fact, it has something for mostly everyone (I know that's cliched and cheesey). There's romance between Todd's daughter Johanna and cohort Anthony... much to the Judge's opposition (he himself has fallen for Johanna, who he had fathered since Sweeney's jailing); and a hilarious/dysfunctional romance between Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett as well. There's comedy from the hilarious Mr. Cohen as a pseudo-italian rival barber of Sweeney's, who soon realises just who "Sweeney Todd" really is.

The storyline runs swiftly and smoothly, with no real lagging in pace (albeit a few slow numbers such as youngster Toby's loving oath towards Mrs. Lovett and another love song between Anthony and Johanna) anthough you'll probably be forgiving, as it balances out when Sweeney begins slashing throats left and right, all the while singing a jolly tune about how he misses his little girl.

The whole time, the viewer wants that Judge strapped down in Sweeney's barber chair, holding onto his exposed jugular vein and begging for mercy. And when it happens, you both feel rewarded and disgusted.

The film balances out, and never fails to surprise. The ending, without giving it away, will NOT leave you with a warm feeling in your heart, but it might just make you think twice before you munch down on your hotdogs and hamburgers!

Great adaption, Great music, Great acting, Great effects.
This movie gets an A

scatcat

thanks CV!  I DEFINATELY want to see this now... I was at first a bit scared to witness Johnny sing... :shock:
but it sounds like it is worth it! :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Steve

Cracking review there CV.
I can't wait for it's arrival on these shores (actually we are landlocked, so no shores, except on the Balaton).
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

LuvURobert

Thanks, CV!!  Great review and I'm even more anxious to see this now! Eeeeow!
:-D :smth045 :smth026 :smth041 :smth042 :smth038
"And I shiver and shake
When I think of how you make me hate"

soulmate

Thanks for the review  :smth023 Want to see it even more now! I've always been a Burton fan so I'm really looking forward to seeing this new film... Just have to wait now!

CureCrusader

Update: this movie just won a Golden Globe Award for best Picture, Comedy or Musical!! well done Johnny... (Helena isn't so bad herself!!)  :smth023
Who am I? Who are you? Is this world what we percieve it to be? Do we even exist?

sues777

Quote from: CureCrusader on January 21, 2008, 19:18:35
Update: this movie just won a Golden Globe Award for best Picture, Comedy or Musical!! well done Johnny... (Helena isn't so bad herself!!)  :smth023

Thanks for the update CureCrusader!  :smth023
Thought I'd heard that Johnny had also won the best actor Golden Globe?

Think it's opening here in Oz this Thursday (it's definitly opening in Sydney on Thurs anyway).  Finally!!  I'll be off to see it on the weekend.... 
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

kissingcrimson

CV great review   ;)   :smth023

I saw it yesterday. It was great! As soon as the opening credits started I knew I'd like it. It's a tragic tale, witty  with lots of blood. It made me laugh out loud, but it is embedded with moral and meaning. Once again Burton's Bonham, & Depp combo was great. Enjoyable to say the least.

Although I can't for the Life of me get that "Joanna" song out of my head!! :?

haha,

'I'm in a carefully careless mess'

~*CherryRed*~

Right, thanks to the bloody fantastic review by Carnage.. I am absolutley 'gagging' to see this film. I've even had to email my local theatre to see when they'll be screening it (as yet it doesn't appear in the coming soon list - which is worrying!). One question... was the score written by Danny Elfman? Or has Mr Burton opted to use another composer for this film? I think t'would be odd for Master Elfman to not be involved in some form or another! Well I'm glad this film has gotten good reviews/remarks from you all. I have to say that after Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I felt a little lost for words!
"prone to flights of whimsy"

CureCrusader

hey! this film is nominated for 3 academy awards!
Johnny Depp: best actor included!!

:smth023
Who am I? Who are you? Is this world what we percieve it to be? Do we even exist?