Converting protected wma files

Started by j, February 18, 2008, 17:16:43

Previous topic - Next topic

j

My wife grabbed a bunch of stuff for my daughter's new mp3 player.  However, wherever she got them from had them in protected wma format.  Is there a good way to convert them?

crowbi_wan

Did your daughter get the files from a music subscription service like Napster or Rhapsody?  If that's the case, you'll have to get the files directly from the service.

scatcat

i can burn protected wma files to disc.. using Sonic and Windows media Player, but it has to be ripped to library first.
but i'm not sure how many times it can be done... you have to have a license -back-up.?

I'll give it a test run, and get back.. my p.c. has decided it is NOT going to co-operate with ne this week! :smth011

the other solution is to maybe use winrar.. / winamp/ this seems to convert and then u can change file format., say from wma to wav .?

I recently downloaded dbpoweramp, which sems to convert all types of files..

itunes is evil  :evil:

again, I'll get back to u .. unless anyone else can help?
sorry  :oops:

Lostflower is the techno wizz!! :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

scatcat

well, i just kicked my p.c.   :evil:....
and burnt a cd from an mp3 source ( in  Windows Media Player).

It worked fine, playing at the moment.
In the preferences,
I chose to convert original source to m3u.
burn sped at 2x ( my PC doesn't cope with anything faster)
make sure disc is formatted ( i use DLA)
then select  what u want to burn, add to burn list.. then , just ait.

The music i burnt was the Cure Disintegration!!  I'll try a mwa source next.
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

scatcat

Quote from: j on February 18, 2008, 17:16:43
My wife grabbed a bunch of stuff for my daughter's new mp3 player.  However, wherever she got them from had them in protected wma format.  Is there a good way to convert them?

we have lift off!!
I'm not sure how u can get mp3 player to add to Windows media Player, BUT it works with protected wma !! :smth023  The playlist/burning list and license has to be backed up in the library though.
I adjusted the speed down to 1x..

my p.c. takes a loong time to think about what it is ordered to do.. ( just like me  :D)

I have successfully burnt a audio cd, from protected wma format... preferences as above..
i know i've done it before, but since working with flac and wav and applelossless.. i forgot my head. :?

again.. disintegration. listening to a successful Lovesong!
I hope this helps J
:smth017

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

j

I forgot about doing it the "dirty" way...burn an audio cd of the wma files, then rip it to mp3.  I'll have to have a look this weekend.  I am pretty sure the wife grabbed everything from napster...

scatcat

Quote from: j on February 20, 2008, 12:28:13
I forgot about doing it the "dirty" way...burn an audio cd of the wma files, then rip it to mp3.  I'll have to have a look this weekend.  I am pretty sure the wife grabbed everything from napster...

yes, it is the only way I can do it... at least you end up with a converted tag, once put to audio disc?
i don't know of any programs that can do it ?

sorry if i could not help anymore
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life