Have you ever dreamed of travel in the time?

Started by dsanchez, May 12, 2008, 02:05:15

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Have you ever dreamed of travel in the time?

Contact Space Travel (HD)

The wormholes -a fascinating subject- just came to my mind again after watching again that great movie staring Jodie Foster: Contact (by the way, one of my favourite movies together with "The shawshank redemption" -altought is totally a different subject-).

More info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole

Wonder if one day the humans will be able to travel throught it.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

frog_s

Omg

I f*cking love these kinds of things, serious, I always had the idea that, if my life will end up really useless, I'll go to Nasa and ask if they will shoot me up to a black whole for the sake of science!  :P

I'm sure this time travelling stuff would be possible if we had just enough time here on earth to figure it out, I mean, it will take a long time, maybe a million years or more (or less  :shock:). And so the chance seems small caus by that time we've been struck by a meteorite, or something else would've happened to make this impossible  :roll:

Hero

Time travel is soooo cool im a physics geek and a doctor who fan! I think time travel will one day be possible but not yet. If indeed time is real? ;)
I think time is non-linear so it would be possible and also mean that the past and the future are interwoven?
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly.... timey-wimey.... stuff"
I should stop, i'm talking crap and could carry on for hours. I love this stuff though, i'm studying Physics & Philosophy at university next year. :smth023

dsanchez

Ladies, If you did not watch it yet, you should really take a look to the movie Contact. Its' based on the Carl Sagan book of the same name. There are so many great things in that movie: persistence or perseverance, passion, philosophy, pscyhics. Maybe the end is too much "fiction" in my opinion, but is really worth to take a look. If you have trouble finding the movie, let me know ;)

In the other hand, the way to see the time as a non-linear thing reminds me to the non-euclidian geometry. For many, the sentence "two paralel lines can find each other" sounds crazy, but is indeed possible in THAT kind of geometry. Maybe a similar thing with the time?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

frog_s

Lovely, I'll go see that movie sometimes,

and something else that made me think of this, it's not really about time travelling here but there's a project going on in Switzerland where science people (and a Dutch guy that's the big boss over the who experiment 8)) from all over the world will this summer put on an experiment which causes 2 atomes that crush into each other in biggest speed ever created on earth (in a pipeline about 25 km long or something), like what also happenes every day, every minute in space to hopefully create new materials that before didn't exist on earth.

Scary thing is that some science filosopher from the United States has begun a court case to 'save the earth'! Thing is, he thinks that a black whole will occur because of this experiment and that the world will be wiped out in no time by this.

Ooooohh scaryyyy

But the scientists in Switzerland who will perform this experiment claimed it won't be possible to have something like that. That even if a black whole would occur, it would be so small and so minimal that it would disappear in a split second.

So very offtopic but funny!

silversand

A very interesting film. I like to watch documentries on tv about the universe.
It's such a interesting subject.
If we could travel in time someday would be a great experience i think.
I've seen the film Contact, but it's a long time ago.
Maybe i should see the film again  :)

Janko

NO...

BUT I OFTEN DREAM OF EATING
AND THE FOOD HAS NO TASTE AT ALL
THEN I FEEL SO SAD I WANT TO CRY
I GET AGITATED AND THEN I WAKE UP

FUNNY HUH?

:?
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on May 12, 2008, 21:22:18
Ladies, If you did not watch it yet, you should really take a look to the movie Contact. Its' based on the Carl Sagan book of the same name.

yes, it's a good movie. the opening sequence alone is very impressive, although very simple.

i read the book many years ago, long before the movie came out. i still like the book more because as it often goes, books tend to have more angles, more dimensions to the story. the story isn't as linear as in the movie (of course).

sagan's 'contact' would be the second best book i know about "message from space" theme - the best one is "his master's voice" by stanislaw lem:

stanislaw lem: his master's voice

that one is an EXCELLENT book.
in sagan's story, men are able to interpret the message and build the machine described in the message, able to reach out and gain something, even though very briefly. in lem's story, everything is way too confusing to ever take any shape:

By the time the project is ended, they are no more sure than they were in the beginning about whether the signal was a message from intelligent beings that humanity failed to decipher, or a random, cosmic background noise that resembled, for a while, the "thousand monkeys on a thousand typewriters creating a meaningful message" puzzle.
(from wiki)

lem's book is both grimly satiric and has great philosophical depth in it.
anyway, sorry to veer off into "lem area" a bit...
i'd recommend both books, for sure.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Janko

THERE'S SOME BUZZ ABOUT THE MOVIE CALLED THE MAN FROM EARTH
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

dsanchez

Quote from: Janko on May 18, 2008, 16:33:32
THERE'S SOME BUZZ ABOUT THE MOVIE CALLED THE MAN FROM EARTH
I was just checking this topic and noticed this. The movie has 8/10 points in imdb.com which normally means is a very good movie. Trailer below:

"The Man from Earth" trailer

I am going to give it a try :smth023

@japanesebaby: I will definitely take a look to this book. It looks very interesting.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo