Instants

Started by dsanchez, May 18, 2008, 01:40:05

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Instants
by Anonymous

If I were able to live my life again,
In the next I would try to commit more errors.
I would not try to be so perfect, I would relax more.
I would be more foolish than I've been,
In fact, I would take few things seriously.
I would be less hygienic.
I would run more risks,
take more vacations,
contemplate more sunsets,
climb more mountains, swim more rivers.
I would go to more places where I've never been,
I would eat more ice cream and fewer beans,
I would have more real problems and less imaginary ones.

I was one of those people that lived sensibly
and prolifically each minute of his life;
Of course I had moments of happiness.
But if I could go back I would try
to have only good moments.

Because if you didn't know, that's what life is made of,
only of moments; Don't lose the now.

I was one of those that never
went anywhere without a thermometer,
a hot-water bottle,
an umbrella, and a parachute;
If I could live again, I would travel lighter.

If I could live again,
I would begin to walk barefoot from the beginning of spring
and I would continue barefoot until autumn ends.
I would take more cart rides,
contemplate more sunrises,
and play with more children,
If I had another life ahead of me.

But you see, I am already 85,
and I know that I am dying.

---

I found this one like 10 years ago. It's always good to read it, from time to time.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

sues777

Thankyou very much for sharing this David.  I kind of needed it today....Thanks.
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

robiola

...One of those concepts we need to remind ourselves of once in a while.
Thanks, David.

scatcat

thank you David.

we all need a little perspective in our lives at times.. and this is perfect for me at this moment.
Beautiful, and real. I will take note of this . thanx again.!

(you are a big softy!  :smth023 )
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

japanesebaby

it's great otherwise, but:
Quote from: dsanchez on May 18, 2008, 01:40:05
I would be less hygienic.

i can't find anything wrong in taking care of one's personal hygiene...

;)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

coxoxi

Beautiful!
Really nice of you to share this ;)

Janko

Few quotes by Bill Cosby:

I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were ever supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever.

But these people, the ones up here in the balcony fought so hard. Looking at the incarcerated, these are not political criminals. These are people going around stealing Coca Cola. People getting shot in the back of the head over a piece of pound cake! And then we all run out and are outraged, 'The cops shouldn't have shot him.' What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand? (laughter and clapping). I wanted a piece of pound cake just as bad as anybody else (laughter) And I looked at it and I had no money. And something called parenting said, 'if you get caught with it you're going to embarrass your mother.' Not 'you're going to get your butt kicked.' No. 'You're going to embarrass your family.'

I'm talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was two?  Where were you when he was twelve?  Where were you when he was eighteen, and how come you don't know he had a pistol?  And where is his father, and why don't you know where he is? And why doesn't the father show up to talk to this boy?

The church is only open on Sunday. And you can't keep asking Jesus to ask doing things for you . You can't keep asking that God will find a way. God is tired of you.

I can say what I want to. It's freedom of speech, ain't it?. We've got to take the neighborhood back. We've got to go in there. Just forget telling your child to go to the Peace Corps. It's right around the corner. It's standing on the corner. It can't speak English. It doesn't want to speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk. "Why you ain't where you is go." I don't know who these people are. And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. Then I heard the father talk. This is all in the house. You used to talk a certain way on the corner and you got into the house and switched to English. Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't land a plane with "why you ain't...". You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth. There is no Bible that has that kind of language. Where did these people get the idea that they're moving ahead on this? Well, they know they're not, they're just hanging out in the same place, five or six generations sitting in the projects when you're just supposed to stay there long enough to get a job and move out.

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

japanesebaby

Quote from: Janko on June 06, 2008, 20:52:23
the church is only open on Sunday. And you can't keep asking Jesus to ask doing things for you . You can't keep asking that God will find a way. God is tired of you.

ever since i heard this for the first time i always felt this came pretty close to my own conception of god (what is what i think it is about, actually):

Yes I am alone but then again I always was
As far back as I can tell
I think maybe it's because
Because you were never really real to begin with
I just made you up to hurt myself
I just made you up to hurt myself

--> only

so maybe god isn't tired, maybe it was man who was tired and that's why he came up with god in the first place...

like robert said in the tv interview for 2001 paris reservoir gig:

Q: which religion, if any, makes the most sense to you?

RS: i think if the world as a whole could outlaw religion for one year people would be really amazed how happy the place could be.
i think that religion is the worst invention of man, in history of man.

Janko

To me, it is necessary to believe in something.

Everyone has to believe in something beyond the known reality.

But to ask God to help you when you didn't do all you could is a bit daft.

So, yes, I am highly religious.
I do need to believe that things will come up OK if I do all I could do.
Or if the things go very, very wrong I do need something to grab onto...

PS

It's just the stupidity of other people that's so unpredictable...
Drivers, gun owners,  politicians,  ...

:) :) :)

japanesebaby

Quote from: Janko on June 07, 2008, 00:59:39
To me, it is necessary to believe in something.

Everyone has to believe in something beyond the known reality.

But to ask God to help you when you didn't do all you could is a bit daft.

So, yes, I am highly religious.
Or if the things go very, very wrong I do need something to grab onto...

i don't doubt people's need to believe in something - i too do feel that sometimes, a lot of times. but i am not going to agree that everyone has to believe in something, i only agree that in a way everyone probably does feel the need to believe in something - those are two very different things.
but nobody has to believe in something.
and so, having a need to believe in god does not prove that god existed or does not make him any more real. it's no different than people who say they believe in aliens and ufos and just because they believe so, those things must exist and be real... but are they? maybe, maybe not - but their belief alone does not prove it.

the conception of god, it's pretty selfish:
i feel bad and lost or i just feel like i need to believe in something in general
-> so i make him (god) up because this makes me feel better, stronger, more at ease in general 
-> this very well might make me feel better for a moment - BUT after a while this turns out to be an illusion (of course)
-> and thus, in the end:

i just made you up to hurt myself = correct

ps.

Quote from: Janko on June 07, 2008, 00:59:39

this is believeing in yourself, your own ability to affect your life and do good - and that does not anyhow make the conception of god a necessary part of the equation at all. it is also perfectly possible to believe in yourself without having to justify this to yourself with the conception of god. imo god doesn't necessary have anything to do with that. 

japanesebaby

and actually, the idea of god is very similar to the imaginary friends that lonely kids are known to create. for those kids they are absolutely real and true persons, just ask anyone who had such an invisible friend as a kid: those kids were not talking to the empty air, they were talking to a real person that also talked back to them. and in a way you could say that god is the most popular of all imaginary friends out there.

just ask yourself why do those lonely kids create these invisible friends? because they are a necessary part of their psychological growth and development. they need something/someone on who/which to reflect their own feelings and thoughts so that they can understand their own feelings and thoughts. it's a psychological necessity: if there is no real friend available, their mind creates one.
and the way that grown ups believe in god (since it's obviously a bit daft to still have an imaginary friend at your side when your 35 or something) works very much in the similar manner: people need something to hold on to, a mirror set into distance where they can see themselves when they need to.

but i believe people still put that mirror out there with their very own hands.

coxoxi

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 07, 2008, 09:24:33

but i am not going to agree that everyone has to believe in something, i only agree that in a way everyone probably does feel the need to believe in something - those are two very different things.
but nobody has to believe in something.

Japanesebaby, your thoughts are amazing; everything you've said is so true and I totally agree with you!  :smth023
:smth038 :smth039

japanesebaby

hey thanks coxoxi, i'm glad to see someone out there feels like being on the same train with me. :smth006

robiola

I actually kind of envy people who are able to believe in a higher power. There have been times in my life when I've felt very alone, or felt a lack of "meaning" to my existence, and I'm sure I would have pulled through those times more easily if I'd had something like that to hang on to. But what can I do, I've always been a sceptic, and since I was 16 I started thinking that things stand exactly as jb was saying.
But I'd have no problem with people believing what they want to believe...
If only religion weren't so often used as a vehicle for hate.

Janko

Ah, there's always deathbed...