Elderly man is crushed by a car and no-one gives a shit

Started by dsanchez, June 05, 2008, 23:20:31

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

In Connecticut, an old man is hit by a car and no-one gives a shit about that :?

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

j

I saw that on the news tonight.  That is seriously fucked up.  the guy is now paralyzed from the waist down.  The car that you see hit him (and the one right before it) are going the wrong way in that lane, so no wonder the guy didn't see them. 

japanesebaby

seriously i can't watch this (and i shouldn't have watched it) it's just TOO fucked up

i just woke up 5 minutes ago, this was pretty much the first thing i saw and now i hope the world just finally ended with a big loud bang today and put everyone out of their f***ing misery
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

j

I guess we are a bit de-sensitized (for lack of a better term) here in the US unfortunately....

Here's more on the story:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/05/ignored.hitrun.ap/index.html

coxoxi

wtf? :shock: :shock: :shock: can't believe this... why the f*** nobody called an ambulance? everybody were just standing there and did nothing ???

Janko

I think at 25-28th second you can see a woman going near the road to see the guy and it's kinda clear she's going into the building to call the 911

Then again, isnt that guy jaywalking?!

:smth011
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

japanesebaby

Quote from: Janko on June 06, 2008, 13:16:11
I think at 25-28th second you can see a woman going near the road to see the guy and it's kinda clear she's going into the building to call the 911

how do you know she's about to call 911? i can't exactly see the number she's dialing (not to mention the phone either...). so maybe she called her sister to tell "hey i just saw something awesome!". or maybe she called some tabloid newspaper, to collect some petty fee for reporting a piece of news? a hero's job. :roll:

maybe. but hey seriously, even if he was how about posting :smth011 for that a****** who did the hit and run first? then maybe say he was jaywalking.

(i seriously can't stand shit like this today. one of my students was severely injured in a traffic accident a few days ago and it really shook me up a lot. then seeing stuff like this - just makes me really angry, sorry.
americans are de-sensitized?: i guess so, very much so. thinking about it, makes me pretty desperate that it's a country that affects and influences everything, all around the world. maybe I don't want to be de-sensitized and just say "so what? the guy got hit by a car". it's just too fucked, all of it. sorry but imo it's no excuse to say "we're de-sensitized" - people shouldn't be de-sensitized like that and they shouldn't just accept it.)

j

Jaywalking is rarely if ever enforced in the US.  You look to your left, and if no one is coming, you go, which I would have to assume this poor guy did.  You don't expect 2 a******* to not only run a red light (which the news has reported is what happened), but then be driving the wrong way in the opposite lane.  But the way that bystanders on the sidewalk and other drivers that drove by did NOTHING is inexcusable.

Quote(i seriously can't stand shit like this today. one of my students was severely injured in a traffic accident a few days ago and it really shook me up a lot. then seeing stuff like this - just makes me really angry, sorry.
americans are de-sensitized?: i guess so, very much so. thinking about it, makes me pretty desperate that it's a country that affects and influences everything, all around the world. maybe I don't want to be de-sensitized and just say "so what? the guy got hit by a car". it's just too fucked, all of it. sorry but imo it's no excuse to say "we're de-sensitized" - people shouldn't be de-sensitized like that and they shouldn't just accept it.)

Sorry to hear that jb.  That really is a shame.  The US is so fucked up right no for a multitude of reasons.  And it looks like it may be headed for more shit after the next election.  An old fart on one side, who, while being a Vietnam war veteran and hero, is nothing but a war-mongering Bush Jr.  Look out Iran if McCain wins the election.  Then you have Obama who has no political experience whatsoever (in the grand scheme of things) and was voted in on a promise of change.  Don't get me wrong, WE NEED CHANGE....but we need change with a straight forward idea as to where we're going, not change in that he is a young man running for president.  People are tired of the old adage, that only male white Christians can be our leader.  That is bullshit.  But to vote someone in because he or she doesn't meet that criteria is crap.  And my opinion is that that is what has happened.

Time for me to get of of my soapbox and stop hijacking this thread to espouse my own political beliefs. 

Regarding the de-sensitized comment, I think to an extent, Americans are de-sensitized to many things.  Nothing really shocks us any more.  That, however, doesn't make this shit in CT any less appalling.   :cry:

dsanchez

Quote from: coxoxi on June 06, 2008, 12:53:10
everybody were just standing there and did nothing ???

not even standing. At the beginning the people and the cars were passing and didnt give any shit about this poor man :?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

robiola

Quote from: j on June 06, 2008, 12:51:12
I guess we are a bit de-sensitized (for lack of a better term) here in the US unfortunately....

It's not just the US. I see it happening more and more in my country too. Especially younger people --  numbed by tv and videogames, they can't seem to truly grasp the difference between that and real life -- intellectually, yes, but not emotionally.

PS. And j, while I agree with your political analysis, I think that just the fact that people are itching  for a change is something of a positive signal....No?

japanesebaby

Quote from: robiola on June 08, 2008, 22:25:35
PS. And j, while I agree with your political analysis, I think that just the fact that people are itching  for a change is something of a positive signal....No?

i was thinkign about the same. maybe obama is all shite too, who am i to say. i look at things from afar and looking at things from a distance has both its drawbacks and its benefits. but i can't help but think if i had to choose, would i choose a possibility for change (even if i don't know what it's going to mean) or something that is going to mean the continuation of something that's guaranteed to be dreadful.
again, maybe i don't see everything since i look at things from afar. but from my point of view, if mccain gets eected it's starting to look like the end of the world soon - maybe not so bad for all americans but very bad, globally speaking.

btw, relatedly, someone sent me this link some time ago: one hundred years

robiola

KingOfSomeIsland

theres only one solution to all of these atrocities:

VOTE RON PAUL :roll:

But seriously I think people are way too self centred in America. God forbid we stop to help a dying man at risk of being late for work and *gasp* losing money...