The Beatles thread

Started by revolt, October 20, 2008, 14:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

revolt

I was shocked to read here some unfairly negative opinions on The Beatles, whose music has been considered by some as being "shitty" and who according to others had a "pussy way" of playing their music. .

It's schocking because probably no other band has such a number of good songs in their catalogue. Also because they were always innovative in their time. Even though they were the most popular band in the western world and could just as well be happy with releasing the same song over and over, they always kept challenging themselves artistically, almost every album being a step forward in this sense. It is debatable whether any of their albums is a masterpiece or not (in my opinion there's just this little bit of filler even in their best works that prevent them from being complete achievements), but even so they have quite a few albums that were among the best of their era and that have stood the test of time. Maybe because there's so many really good songs in them.

Anyway, here is "Helter Skelter", from the so-called White Album (an album, that despite the filler, anyone with any passing interest in pop or rock music SHOULD KNOW):

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9KRpEkGfY#18

Janko

Quote from: revolt on October 20, 2008, 14:38:28
I was shocked to read here some unfairly negative opinions on The Beatles, whose music has been considered by some as being "shitty" and who according to others had a "pussy way" of playing their music.

I don't see too many negative opinions.
I never saw one respectable author that would say something like that ...
I'm pretty sure that calling the beatles music "shitty" or "pussy..." is totally retarded.

On the other hand, the test of time is harsh and the early-to-mid 60's music is somewhat disconnected with today's musical tastes...
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

japanesebaby

who according to others had a "pussy way" of playing their music.

"... and we find the defendant -guilty as charged. do you have anything to say?"

"no, your honor".

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 20, 2008, 20:48:06
who according to others had a "pussy way" of playing their music.

"... and we find the defendant -guilty as charged. do you have anything to say?"

"no, your honor".

Sorry, but I only meant to defend the Beatles, not accuse or charge anyone.

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: Janko on October 20, 2008, 19:51:47
On the other hand, the test of time is harsh and the early-to-mid 60's music is somewhat disconnected with today's musical tastes...

I actually like the early-to-mid 60's stuff.  It makes for far better radio than what's on the Top 40, imo. :)

alt.end

Beatles were a great talented band, but people shoudn't forget The Yardbirds or The Kinks, too. Even Beatles get inspired.