Entire back catalogue in one sitting

Started by nausearockpig, December 27, 2008, 03:42:32

Previous topic - Next topic

nausearockpig

I'm sure most people have done this but....I was home alone for the past couple of days so I decided to listen to all of The Cure's albums in chronolgical order without a break - it was excellent.  You should try it.

I didn't bother to slip in the b-sides to singles in the chronology as that would have been a messy process taking discs out and putting them back in [though I suppose I could have just had the Join The Dots discs in one player and the albums going in another player but I couldn't be bothered]. I guess if you have all of the albums and singles on your computer, you could do it very easily.... Next time...

anyway it was interesting to listen to the way the band's sound changed over nearly three decades, in one big long block of music..

I did it with The Eels too.. that was odd..

Try it.

fiction

Quote from: nausearockpig on December 27, 2008, 03:42:32
I did it with The Eels too.. that was odd..

Ha ha. Yeah I bet it was odd with Eels. What´s Your verdict then, when it comes to Your (impressive) project? I have to say that I don´t think I can do that stunt myself. I´ve gone through the 12" by Smiths once but that was not a long journey. How long did it take (too lazy to do the numbers myself) to go through the albums?

Well done!
again and again and again and again and again and...

nausearockpig

Not too sure about how long it took. The Cure took the better part of a day [the daylight part, not 24 hours] and Eels took about 5 hours. Was a really good thing to do. I'll be doing it for TOOL and other bands as well.

Fabien G

I did that one day at work. Somewhow got disappointed, because I have to wait 4 years between records, and all in all I just have some music for a day work. :(

sschulties

OK fellas.............try this.

Listen to the early live shows in order (whichever ones you have) and throw the studio albums in at the correct month/year. 

As an added trip, try watching the videos also.  See and hear the transformation for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mastermaverick69

japanesebaby

Quote from: sschulties on January 22, 2009, 01:42:13
Listen to the early live shows in order (whichever ones you have) and throw the studio albums in at the correct month/year. 

it's a good idea.

i've tried listening to all of the studio albums in chronological order several times, but i never seem to manage.  it's not because i got bored or something. it's just because every time i just seem to get stuck with some album and feel like i need to repeat that one and/or move to listening to some other stuff from that period (live, b-sides etc.). and so i forget what i was "supposed to do". anyway it's always an adventure - i like getting stuck like that without really planning it.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine