curefans.com members visit Crawley

Started by admin, October 23, 2018, 21:44:41

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

CRAWLEY, 21 Oct 2018 (CUREFANSNEWS) - curefans.com members Jojo Denovan, Percy The Hedgehog and dsanchez visited last Sunday Crawley, the city where it all started for The Cure.

During their journey, the three imaginary friends noticed that besides a couple of photos of Robert in the Crawley Museum there was, sadly, not any reference to the band in the city. They explored The Cure's landmarks in Crawley such as the pub The Rocket (now renamed to "The Railway" and also without any reference to them) and several other places mentioned in Lol Tolhurst's Cured such as High Street, the bridge were Robert and Lol were chased by some neo-nazis, the Memorial Gardens, the band stand were The Cure (or probably Easy Cure) sometimes played (this band stand can be seen in the Staring At The Sea videos), the Crawley College and of course, Crawley's Train Station that probably the boys used quite a lot.

The fans committed to write to the Crawley Council some suggestions to improve The Cure's "presence" in town (for instance, in Peru there's a route about Mario Vargas Llosa that follows some of the places mentioned in his books - something like this would be nice to have in Crawley for The Cure)

Ulrich

Wow, that was unexpected. Thanks for the nice pictures!  :happy
So this was the first "Curefans tour" in footsteps of the band?

Gotta say the text about RS is misleading somehow (or is it my inadequate English?), makes it sound like their school used to be called "Easy Cure"?  :1f62e:
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on October 24, 2018, 09:39:32
Wow, that was unexpected. Thanks for the nice pictures!  :happy
So this was the first "Curefans tour" in footsteps of the band?

Gotta say the text about RS is misleading somehow (or is it my inadequate English?), makes it sound like their school used to be called "Easy Cure"?  :1f62e:

Yes, correct. Will provide that feedback to the Crawley Museum.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

word_on_a_wing

I enjoyed looking through these photos, thanks :) !!

Also ... Lol's reply on Twitter was a lovely to see, and cracked me up 😂
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

word_on_a_wing

And what a joke that The Cure aren't mentioned in a more significant way!!
... I just read the profiles above RS 😳 ....wtf! 
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

dsanchez

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on October 24, 2018, 13:14:04
Also ... Lol's reply on Twitter was a lovely to see, and cracked me up 😂

Hahaha... For those who did not see it, here's Lol's mention on Twitter:

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on October 24, 2018, 14:23:26
Hahaha... For those who did not see it, here's Lol's mention on Twitter

Ha ha (or should I say: LOL), very good to read this from him.  :happy

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on October 24, 2018, 09:39:32

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Nice. Maybe one day I'll have a look to proofread it.
I think my friends in south London aren't too far from Crawley (maybe we can do a pub crawl... pun absolutely intended)!

dsanchez

In a related topic, Robert talks about the town (the interview is from 2012):

QuoteHow was to grow up in Crawley?

It was shit. It was like any other small town, most people are awful and some people are really good, and the really good people are my friends and...

I go there every week because my mum and dad still live in Crawley and also my wife's family lives in Crawley... I didn't know a lot of people in Crawley, it's really strange and that kind of rewrites in history about what we did and who I was... []

I f****** hated Crawley and I hate...I should not say that... I forget it goes on the Internet. I f****** love Crawley, it's excellent! Yeah, thank you Crawley.

Minute 08:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAObCHEjZrs
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

chemicaloverload

:rofl hate it or not, it's part of him and the town should still recognise that
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

the thread of a dream

I know this conversation is old - and what I'm about to say is quite creepy- but I was reading "Never Enough: The story of The Cure" and the author said that Robert lives quite near Crawley, a bit out into the countryside. It also said that fans would camp outside on his front lawn! Maybe we should all chip in and buy a huge tent and make ourselves comfortable?
☆Slit the cats like cheese!
Then eat the sweet sticky things! ☆

dsanchez

Quote from: the thread of a dream on April 27, 2019, 22:13:25the author said that Robert lives quite near Crawley, a bit out into the countryside. It also said that fans would camp outside on his front lawn! Maybe we should all chip in and buy a huge tent and make ourselves comfortable?

Well, personally I don't care about Robert's private life, specially where he lives. I would be happy to meet him outside his hotel or concert venue after a gig (as I did back in 2013) but that's all. Going anywhere near his house and try to wait for him until he goes out is definitely a no for me.

There's a discussion about this in this thread:

QuoteBut the "house people" are just crazy, going around his house like that and peering in the windows. It's no wonder some people keep this as a "no trade" video" the original people who taped it could probably be arrested for this
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: the thread of a dream on April 27, 2019, 22:13:25
... I was reading "Never Enough: The story of The Cure" and the author said that Robert lives quite near Crawley, a bit out into the countryside. It also said that fans would camp outside on his front lawn!

From what I remember, it was around 1993, when Robert said he was annoyed by fans camping on his property, because that definitely goes too far. (Much as RS likes to chat to his fans, that kind of behaviour is not tolerable.)
I would hope things got better since then...

Also, from what I gathered, he lives by the seaside (near Brighton?) and thus can take a walk by the sea. I hope for him he will be able to do that without being hassled by "fans".

MeltingMan

Quote from: Ulrich on April 28, 2019, 11:03:03
Also, from what I gathered, he lives by the seaside (near Brighton?) and thus can take a walk by the sea.

I know the exact location, but I won't name it. You're quite right. The landscape is perhaps
ideal for camping (in summer). The RAF had an ALG (Advanced Landing Ground) there
during D-Day operations and a campsite(!) for their personnel. A beautiful spot on earth.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)