The Cure and PUNK

Started by ~*CherryRed*~, August 21, 2007, 01:51:53

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

Quote from: Carnage Visor on September 03, 2007, 21:46:19
That pisses me off...every book I read about "The best punk bands" or "best of the 80s" I hardly ever see The Cure. And if I do, it's always some half-assed little section referring to them as "doom and gloom"...and then a full page of Madonna (who looks like she smells) and Boy George...ugh!

And go into Rock America, there are 5000+ POISON shirts and one Cure shirt. This world is f*cked up.

right. i think "the problem with the cure and genre-oriented literature" (ok i know that sounds pretty stupid) is that whenever you pick up a book written about some specific genre, be it punk or goth or something else, the cure often barely gets more than a footnote there. i guess it's because they really don't thoroughly and easily fit in any genre out there - so the writers kind of feel like they need to mention them but can't really focus on them anyway. so always being somewhat outsiders... but that's what i really like about them anyway.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Carnage Visor

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 03, 2007, 22:15:28because they really don't thoroughly and easily fit in any genre out there - so the writers kind of feel like they need to mention them but can't really focus on them anyway. so always being somewhat outsiders... but that's what i really like about them anyway.

Exactly! Good call. Like Kate Bush, they can fit into many chategories...but because of their uniqueness, not one suits them well enough. They are THE CURE genre.

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: Purple Orchid on September 03, 2007, 21:24:39
The name sounds familiar to me but can´t remember anything else about it, and of course, have never never watched it. Can you tell us a bit about it?

The Punk Rock Movie was filmed in 1977 by then Roxy DJ Don Letts (who later joined Big Audio Dynamite) with his 8mm camera.   It was basically a "bird's eye view" of the music scene that was happening at the time.

You can check it out here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4101813390428941237

What's great is it seems that google link is the whole film and not just a small clip. :rocker

Carnage Visor

Another great video documenting the punk-New Wave movement is "URGH! A MUSIC WAR!" which has Echo and the Bunnymen, Wall Of Voodoo, The Police, The Cramps, and more!

Boy, that sounded like a plug, didn't it?  :twisted:

iwannashagsimon

I've seen that "Urgh! A Music War!" film a few times.   I honestly didn't think much of it.  Only cared for 999.   The others are just so-so.

Carnage Visor

Really? I thought it was a fantastic blend of music. What's 999?
Anyway, I'm also a fan of WALL OF VOODOO and their unique style of music, so I guess it helps if you like the bands in the video in the first place...

billee

Thanks for the youtube link iwannashagsimon

The other one feeds on my hesitation
Grows inside of my trepidaton
Buries his claws in my dislocation
I whisper your name to lose control

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: Carnage Visor on September 06, 2007, 23:43:49
What's 999?

A band that is featured on that "URGH! A Music War" film.   They are most known for the songs "Homicide" and "Emergency"

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: billee on September 07, 2007, 14:30:57
Thanks for the youtube link iwannashagsimon

You are welcome.   

(Shh..it's Google!  Not Youtube. :smth002)

Purple Orchid

I was watching yesterday John Lydon's Best of British 1£ ♪♪s DVD and right before "Silver Machine" from Crystal Palace 2002 with the Pistols he says something like "Thank God not everybody went to see The Cure". I wasn't sure about it, but I checked the dates, and that same day, The Cure played in Hyde Park on "Route of Kings". It would have been very hard for me to choose from!!!
...when suddenly, behind a tree, I appear
strange mixture of the one-before-the-last wanderer
and first stowaway on the trip to Venus.
Half melon on the head and the stripes of the shirt painted on the skin,
but only you see me...

revolt

Favourite punk band for me would have to be The Stooges. Or must you consider them "proto-punk" or something, since they started way before the punk movement hit it big in Britain (their 1st album is from 1969)? Anyway, Iggy Pop is THE PUNK PERFORMER...

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 25, 2007, 13:20:55

green day - ha! they are doing things like 'wroking class hero' and duetting with bono... hey where's the punk in that?

Green Day might not be punk at all (that´s my opinion too) but that John Lennon song (the original, I mean), even though it's all acoustic, has actually the intensity and 'piss-off' attitude of the best punk...

with punk rock, i get bored very fast because whereas the attitude/sub-culture itself is very vivid and colorful, the music itself simply lacks contrasts.

Do you know the first 2 albums by the Banshees? Because contrasts is a thing they don't lack, I think...

~*CherryRed*~

Anyone know Skrewdriver? If you do, say no more hey!
"prone to flights of whimsy"

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on July 17, 2008, 11:03:27

green day - ha! they are doing things like 'wroking class hero' and duetting with bono... hey where's the punk in that?

Green Day might not be punk at all (that´s my opinion too) but that John Lennon song (the original, I mean), even though it's all acoustic, has actually the intensity and 'piss-off' attitude of the best punk...

sure, i agree that punk is definitely about attitude, not about the genre. so surely the lennon original can be considered somewhat punk. but what i meant was that things don't "stay punk" by themselves, no matter what - you need to "keep it punk". i mean you can take some sex pistols song that's supposed to be 200% punk and put some brainless idols winner perform it in some dreadful R&B fashion and i bet you can be sure the "punk" in it will be all gone.
so i think that's what happened to 'working class hero' in the hands of bono & the green boys.

Quote from: revolt on July 17, 2008, 11:03:27
Do you know the first 2 albums by the Banshees? Because contrasts is a thing they don't lack, I think...

i know them but i'm not very fond of them. never really liked the banshees, old or new (although old is better than new), if i dare to admit it in public here....  :eek:
anyway, perhaps i was thinking more like HC punk, when i said there's no contrasts (really can't remember what i was thinking as it was... pretty much one year ago when i said that. :-P)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Janko

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on August 30, 2008, 14:45:26
Anyone know Skrewdriver? If you do, say no more hey!

The nazis?!

I heard that the early singles were not nazi at all...

:smth023

:-D
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason