and i don't feel if you don't
and i don't want it if you don't
and i won't say it
if you don't say it first

doo doo doo doo
let's go to bed!
doo doo doo doo
let's go to bed!

lets go to bed is always (as far as ive read)seen as a meaningless song but after listening alot i really dont think it is, il lay out what i think it means and you can say whether you think im talking rubbish or maybe have a point.

let me take your hand im shaking like milk- robert offering to help lol through drug problems, also aknowledges his own problems

the two of us together again its just the same a stupid game- we will stick together through all the crap, refering to how repetitive the music business is and roberts distaste for the record companies

but i don't care if you don't
and i don't feel if you don't
and i don't want it if you don't
and i won't say it
if you don't say it first
- no longer cares about the cure really but isnt prepered to be the one who finally calls the end to it

you think you're tired now
but wait until three...
- to both lol and himself, if you think you are too tired to tour and that your at the end of you teather wait until 1983 and how bad that will be

laughing at the christmas lights
you remember
from december
- remembering how good things used to be

all of this then back again- the whole business is just the same stuff over and over again, every single,album is just the same thing

another girl
another name
- same as above really

stay alive but stay the same- we're just on cruise control, ambition in a black car to quote the man himself

you can't even see now
so you ask me the way
- unsure about the direction he/the cure should take feels he needs to be given a objective or direction

you wonder if it's real
because it couldn't be rain...
- feels things are getting a bit surreal, about drugs maybe? not really sure with this one

lets go to bed- the bed is a symbol for retirement

over all theme: robert is sick of the music business and is considering quiting the cure

like i said this shouldnt be taken as anything of worth really, just been thinking of it for a while and wanted to put it out somewhere

Bloodflower

You're either absolutely right, which makes you brilliant, or you're reading way too much into "a stupid pop song," which makes you like everyone else.

I think it's the first.  :-D

Brill.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

[labyrinth]

very good interpretation :)
and...very good song to analyse :)

japanesebaby

yes, i enjoy reading this sort of personal interpretation, even though i might disagree with the interpretations presented.
anyway i think the strenght of the cure lyrics is the flexibility, that it can reveal different ways to read it (i don't want to say "different meanings" because meaning is a somewhat "fixed" word: whenever something is said to mean something,  that's it then). but cure lyrics are always layered texts. i think this has always been one strenght of the cure (if one cared about the lyrical side) - you are always able to dig into the story from your own point of view, the writer is not pushing the reader/listener to interpret it this way or that way only. most writers really miss this...

myself, in this song i wouldn't interpret it as a literal description of any band related events/situations.
honestly i never even thought about it that way, i felt it's about more personal, daily things...
but why not! :D
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Dillinger

yeah thats one of the reasons i love the cures lyrics so much, you can read them however you like everything is really open ended and left up to the listener