Re: Who are you? Introduce yourself here!Hello, I am Firstinspace

Started by firstinspace, June 16, 2008, 16:22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

firstinspace

Hello, I am Firstinspace, which is a phrase I "stole" from Pink Floyd t-shirts.  I have been a fan of The Cure since 1989, when I was 12 years old and "Disintegration" was released.  I was just entering that phase of teenage angst and depression and I quickly fell in love with the beautiful music which seemed to express what I was feeling.
     I've only seen The Cure live twice.  The first time was in 1996 on The Swing Tour, August 25, 1996 in New Orleans.  I remember drinking a lot of red wine (that's what I thought Robert drank a lot of at the time) and drunkenly yelling, "I love you Robert!!!" between songs.  Of course, instead of singing, "...down on Fascination Street", Robert sang, "...down on Bourbon Street!" which was a highlight of the show.  I think "Fascination Street" is about Robert's experience(s) on Bourbon Street.  The final encore of "Faith" was just mind blowing.  All in all it was a wonderful first Cure show! I'm glad I came across a copy of the show a few years later! 
     The second time I saw them was on The Dream Tour, May 28, 2000 in Irvine, CA.  Not as good as the New Orleans show, because of some of the people there, who wanted only to hear the pop songs like "Inbetween Days", "Lovesong", and "Just Like Heaven".  The rest of the time, these goofballs were talking and ruining the show for the fans of the band.  They closed with "Faith", which Robert was pouring his heart into, even crying at times while he was singing, and most of the audience responded by leaving so they could "beat the traffic".  I don't think I'd want to see the Cure in a huge venue like Irvine again.  But, to be fair, the songs from "Bloodflowers", particularly, "Watching Me Fall" sounded excellent when played really, really LOUD!  And "Sinking" was also fantastic, with Robert using the microphone camera to fade his image in and out on the big screens!
     Well, great to be a member of this board.  Wish I could see one of the shows on 4 Tour, but...work beckons!