no more wearing black and lipstick 2011

Started by FarFar, October 02, 2007, 10:44:56

Previous topic - Next topic

imaginarynancyboy

yeah definately... hes gorgeous either way... but i was just saying... just because someone is getting older doesnt mean they should stop doing what they've done their entire life... but bah... :smth023
I think I should finish soon, I think I should end. Magic and dreams and the end of the world. In the Hanging Garden...

scatcat

:smth023
yey right on !! I'll put up a photo of me dressed up 4 the concert soon, just to show ya it doesn't matter how old,,, black IS still okay for "our" age!! :lol:

:smth020
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

japanesebaby

Quote from: imaginarynancyboy on October 04, 2007, 12:03:35
what the hell?! id say this is a stupid rumour posted by someone with too much spare time and a touch of jealousy!  :smth011
as if Robert would stop wearing black and lipstick! its impossible! it is him... you dont just stop doing something like that. rumour rumour rumour (unless someone can show me a direct quote from Robert about this? :lol:)

what does that has to do with jealousy?  :smth017
actually it's very easy to point out several occasions where he's said all that himself:

for instance from SPIN magazine interview 07/04:

Will you always wear lipstick and tease out your hair?
RS: I will stop one day, I'm sure.

i think anyone who ever was reading the interviews around 2004 would have read this many times, from many mags/interviews, he himself said it so many times. i especially remember him saying somewhere that he's definitely not going to wear black and lipstick "once i hit 50". can't locate this interview right now but i'll dig it up for you and put up a scan if you don't believe me.

so never say never unless you've checked the sources. ;)

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

imaginarynancyboy

well i know that hes said someday he might stop. but thats different from saying he will stop definately like on a certain date. sure he might stop one day, i wasnt saying he wont. who knows what the future holds... *imagination runs wild  :D*
and how it ties in with jealousy is that i meant it might have been started by someone who just posts shit and fake stuff about bands coz they have nothing else to do with their time, and are sordid and bitter characters.
i dont want this to turn onto an arguement, as such.. i was just saying that i dont believe he will just "stop". and i dont need you to get out the interview, i believe you he said that.
I think I should finish soon, I think I should end. Magic and dreams and the end of the world. In the Hanging Garden...

Cure Freak

Quote from: imaginarynancyboy on October 04, 2007, 12:15:53
yeah definately... hes gorgeous either way... but i was just saying... just because someone is getting older doesnt mean they should stop doing what they've done their entire life... but bah... :smth023
I understyand what you are saying. I wasn't directing my post to anyone particular. Just stating what I felt.

scatcat

I understand what it means,  there have been many times throughout my life I thought I would "outgrow" it all like Roberts said, u know, get a more appropriate image.. at moment I have thrown away the old image, but dressing up for the concert.. just made me feel like I was 15 again, so he might change his mind... ya never know.. :smth023
:smth020
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

japanesebaby

Quote from: imaginarynancyboy on October 04, 2007, 12:33:38
well i know that hes said someday he might stop. but thats different from saying he will stop definately like on a certain date. sure he might stop one day, i wasnt saying he wont. who knows what the future holds... *imagination runs wild  :D*
and how it ties in with jealousy is that i meant it might have been started by someone who just posts shit and fake stuff about bands coz they have nothing else to do with their time, and are sordid and bitter characters.
i dont want this to turn onto an arguement, as such.. i was just saying that i dont believe he will just "stop". and i dont need you to get out the interview, i believe you he said that.

ok i see i didn't notice that there was an exact date quoted on the topic headline here. i've no idea where that (2011) was digged up. all i remember was him saying he won't do it past 50, that much i've read about any possible "eaxct date" that he ever gave. anyway, i don't think anyone should take it for granted. i mean, even if he did mention some "deadline" somewhere, why should he ever have to stick to it later on?
about jealousy/throwing shit stuff: well some people will always post negative stuff because that's the way they are. i personally wouldn't pay attention to that much - it's a waste of one's energy. then again, there's a difference between people posting shit and people posting some healthy and/or more or lee legitimate critisism. those two get often confused although they aren't the same, and that's bothering me sometimes. the cure fans seem to be overly "protective" many times. it's a two-fold issue. it's maybe an admirable quality because it means people are really passionate - but also a kind of quality which i personally always found a bit alien to me. i mean, because people sometimes take it all so seriously that they react as if someone was almost directly critisizing them (fans) when someone simply critisizes the band. and that's sometimes weird. and it's the biggest problem of the official site especially: the lack of tolerance towards anything else than pure praises. there's no conversation anywhere if everyone's just singing praises 24/7, it all becomes completely uninteresting.

anyway, back to the topic at hand: i don't personally think it's a matter of belief, whether or not i believe he'll stop or not. by that i mean that in the end, it really doesn't matter to me anyway, whether he stops or keeps going. it's his decision anyway and after all i personally cannot see how that decision would have effect on the music anyway. unless it would mean the day he stopped wearing lipstick he also stopped making music. but all we can do is to wait and see, i guess....

***edit: after all, if he stopped one day then couldn't it also be seen as a perfectly natural choice too don't you think? i mean people do change with age, all of us. he's not 25 anymore. he's lived a long life since. so why shouldn't he, if he one day might want to? all i'm saying that i don't think it necessarily has to be anything more dramatic than that.

imaginarynancyboy

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 04, 2007, 13:00:43

anyway, i don't think anyone should take it for granted. i mean, even if he did mention some "deadline" somewhere, why should he ever have to stick to it later on?
yes exactally! thats what im trying to say

the cure fans seem to be overly "protective" many times. it's a two-fold issue. it's maybe an admirable quality because it means people are really passionate - but also a kind of quality which i personally always found a bit alien to me. i mean, because people sometimes take it all so seriously that they react as if someone was almost directly critisizing them (fans) when someone simply critisizes the band.

yeah im sorry, i generally tend to be really over protective about what people say about my favourite bands, i think its because i love them so much they are like a part of me and if someone is  insulting them then it feels like someone is saying something to me. its silly i know, but i cant really help it! well i can really, just by not going on the internet, lol...
especially: the lack of tolerance towards anything else than pure praises. there's no conversation anywhere if everyone's just singing praises 24/7, it all becomes completely uninteresting.
yes i agree here too. but purely badmouthing bands (continuously) is abit off.

and after all i personally cannot see how that decision would have effect on the music anyway. unless it would mean the day he stopped wearing lipstick he also stopped making music.
i cant see this will affect the music either! like Billy corgan shaving his head didnt affect his music :-D. but what i mean is that i dont think there should be expiry dates on people **and im not saying anyone on this forum was saying this...** it was just a point i was making.

after all, if he stopped one day then couldn't it also be seen as a perfectly natural choice too don't you think?
yeah i do think its perfectly normal for people to change

japanesebaby

Quote from: imaginarynancyboy on October 04, 2007, 13:26:43

anyway, i don't think anyone should take it for granted. i mean, even if he did mention some "deadline" somewhere, why should he ever have to stick to it later on?
yes exactally! thats what im trying to say

ok then!

Quote from: imaginarynancyboy on October 04, 2007, 13:26:43
especially: the lack of tolerance towards anything else than pure praises. there's no conversation anywhere if everyone's just singing praises 24/7, it all becomes completely uninteresting.
yes i agree here too. but purely badmouthing bands (continuously) is abit off.

but a continuous flow of praises is just as off too - i mean, it accomplishes nothing. so i'm almost inclined to say that in that sort of "one-eyed" environment (="prases allowed only"), sometimes a temporary badmouthing can actually accomplish more, strangely even be much more honest... because even if it wasn't completely legitimate, at least it still might try to maintain some perspective on things(!) - which pure praising of anything and everything never really does manage to maintain. so in the end, praising alone is just as empty and saying nothing at all. it loses all meaning. 
look, don't get me wrong: i'm not saying people shouldn't love the things they truly feel they love, of course they should! and like i said, it'a also an admirable quality that cure fans tend to be passionate - i am too, actually. but i don't understand the attitude/environment where anything and everything robert does or says must be held somehow sacred and above all criticism. and the "conversation" on the official sites seems to focus on this only, how to "keep our dear beloved robert clean" so to speak. and that's just silly, to be honest.
(and just in case,  no i'm not saying this as criticism towards you, not at all. just as a comment in general.)

Carnage Visor

Billy Corgan wasn't cool when he shaved his hair...I'm sorry but hair means alot to me, it does.
I liked Billy with his long hair or his short hair at least, but no hair? Nah...

Not that I would not like Robert anymore, he just wouldn't have the same effect as he does on me now...I admire him for his big hair and black attire, in fact, that is the epitome of cool in my book, and I'd kill to be able to pull that look off for as long as he has.

Siouxsie_

I personally think that a person should dress in a way that makes them feel comfortable. So if Robert no longer feels comfortable wearing make-up and black clothing, then so be it. However, I don't understand why he would need to stop wearing black clothing all of a sudden.

scatcat

hey, what I have been thinking lately, after watching soo many video clips, concerts and those addictive u-tuby stuff... !! 8)

I loved Robert's image in the early days, before he was labelled "Goth" and wearing black etc.. ( even with the tragic white sneakers).
That's when Ibecame a fanthere were other bands,like Boy George (cringe now), Pseudo Echo, Duran Duran, Adam & the Ants (cringe again), Eurythmics, Thompson Twins,all wore make-up etc.. but not profoundly KNOWN for the total Black image. They wore make-up, but there was no real defined image to 'replicate' here in Oz.

I think at least for myself.. the total black dressing-up thing came as an early 'Emo' movement or what we called back then : here; "MOD" . I always did my makeup like Boy Georges..( U can Cringe again!!) I wanted pink shaved hair like Cyndi Lauper..  :P

But Black was the uniform.. black lipstick, nailpolish, eyeliner, clothes, anything to stick it up to the general society.. just like the athiest 'Punk' movements.. I knew punks here in the 80's.. that was our cultural revolution that put us in tune with London and the rest of the world.. and don't forget 'Countdown"

To stay on topic here... it is the CHOICE of those who want to dress in Black , a very strong colour to ward off evil spirits.. and negate bad energy.. it was my choice. Still is when i want to feel protected and cocooned in my own identity..

as for the red lipstick... well ... seducing hey???
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

ROGUE

"Countdown"   :lol: Some great shows in there, but i remember full-on glam, not so much punk or goth.  Just colour overload,
and big hair,

And  :roll: god i remember Wham,  :smth078 and all the teeny- boppers wearing fluro shirts like the band did., so crappy, But the rest of the world was doing it too  :lol:
I loved Billy Idol, and the black/punk look aswell, had a thick choker chain around my neck, permanently. as in couldnt take it off, unless with pliers.

I can see Robert without make-up, and remember hearing or reading the interview.

It said ~  that he never gets used to putting it on before a show, it never feels easy, and
thought he would have stopped it himself ages ago.
I also love it too, But its not really about how he looks to me.  :shock:  Its the music, attitude and depth.

I do also think he would look great with short hair, and make-up or no make-up, But i do love the hair.  Just doesnt matter to me.  He is lucky to have so much hair,
would be great if Cure Freak, or someone good with photoshop could make up some short hair pics, at his current age, with and without make up  :smth023

Until then i use the imagination.   :smth047

scatcat

About Robert without makeup... I had a dream last nite, and I was at a Cure gig, when I was invited to meet the band backstage... The man himself was there ( and Simon too!!) Robert had no makeup on. He looked different, more real and I could read his emotions. There was a real 'bareness' about him. He actually looked freaher, and not so tired..  8)

then, I was invited to play guitar with them onstage for the last few songs...  :shock:

what a wonderful dream!!  :rocker
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

ROGUE

Great dream, oh you wouldnt want to wake up, or try to go back to sleep to get back to it  ;) Wow i like

Love the way he looks in interviews with no make-up ~ Totally refreshing. 

And after all we all  love him and band for the music, this is all secondary stuff.  :smth050

~Wouldnt it be just like a dream to play with them, guitar i mean, ohhh wish i asked that, but there is a time for everything,
and i did feel like i was dreaming too.   I dont talk of it much, cos i get all stupid and blushing  :roll: but before the show
when i met them, Robert didnt have make up  on.  :smth023  So beautiful looking and so many expressions, fascinating.