iTunes Store Video --> Audio

Started by Bloodflower, November 06, 2007, 07:12:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodflower

So I downloaded a video from iTunes, something I'm mostly against, on the mere basis that the quality's usually crap, and I'm not really interested in the video aspect of it, just the music. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me how to convert the video, which is, of course, DRM'd and all that, to an audio file.

(For the curious: I downloaded Thom Yorke's performance of 'Videotape' off From the Basement. Gorgeous song.)
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

japanesebaby

what is the format of the video?

whether you can rip the sound stream from a video file depends on the video format. ripping the audio from video means dividing the file into separate video and audio stream, this is called demuxing. many video converters/editors offer this feature, but unfortunately you cannot demux just about anything out there. whereas certain super high/high bitrate formats (such as lossless .avi, .dv, mpeg-2 etc.) can be easily muxed to separate audio and video streams, many lossy/low bitrate formats (like low bitrate .mov, divx, lossy mpeg-1 etc.) cannot be demuxed.
since you're saying it's not high quality file i'm afraid it might turn out to be impossible.
huh one more reason why formats like divx suck, i'm afraid.  :?
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Bloodflower

The video is in MPEG-4 Protected Format.

I think there is a way to do it, as the video exists on YouTube, but I suppose it's also possible that the uploader got the video from its website of origin.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.