Drum kits used by Lol, Andy, Boris and Jason

Started by MeltingMan, August 31, 2014, 11:11:29

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingMan

Quote from: patitodark on August 19, 2014, 00:30:36
Quote from: cheyler on August 18, 2014, 21:33:05
Jason is playing a different brand of drumkit.
QuoteHe began with Yahama, then DW, then Brady and now Natal.
OK,let's mention the brands of drums used by Andy,Boris and Laurence in the important eighties,
hoping that this subject is not too off topic.Who can help?
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

dsanchez

I think this can have its own topic :smth023

Here's what I have found about Boris during the HOTD sessions:

QuoteBoris Williams keeps time on a Yamaha drum kit with four rack toms-10", 12", 13" and 15"-and a 22' bass drum. His snare is a 6 1/2" wooden Noble & Cooley, although he keeps a metal Ludwig Black Beauty as a backup. The heads are all Remos, with Emperors on the top and Ambassadors on the bottom. His sticks are made by the Rock Shed in London, and are model SS. His cymbals are Zildjians-two splashes and a China being the most used-and he has high-hats on either side of the kit. That's not for symmetry, either; 'On some beats it gives me more freedom to have my right hand over to the right' he says. 'It's just easier.' The high- hats are controlled by side-by-side pedals, the remote linkage for the right high-hats courtesy of Pearl. Williams' other hardware is mostly Yamaha.

I'd be curious to know if he also used Yamaha during the Wish era. The sound is very different and "less 80s".
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

MeltingMan

All right,David.I searched the web and found,that Lol
used a Ludwig drum kit in 1980/81 and in 1982 a kit from Pearl.Andy as well (1983/84).
I mean it sounds fantastic,although the manufacturer is only one factor for the overall sound.
(www.wikicure.com)
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

patitodark

Boris played the same drumkit model (s9000) during his tenure in The Cure.

In the Wish tour he switched drumheads so the sound changed to a more open one. Maybe he went for single plies. I'm not sure but sounds like it.

Also, the famous china cymbal used in Just Like Heaven is a Zildjian China Boy Low.

Andy used Pearl drums.

patitodark

Jason began playing Yamaha Maple Custom and Tama Starclassic drums. His early snardrum was also a Noble & Cooley (like Boris) and a Ludwig Colisseum. With Evans drumheads. Also an Octapad SPD-11 and Dauz pads for triggering other sounds.

Then he switched to DW (Remo drumheads: Emperor on top, Ambassador on the bottom SAME as Boris) and the horrible cardboard box sound began...

Then he got an endorsement by Brady drums that he used mostly in studio.

And lastly, Natal endorsed him and his sound improved but still dry and lifeless.

His snare drums are a Ludwig Black Beauty and a Noble & Cooley (just like Boris')

Zildjian cymbals.

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo