Your favorite cover done by The Cure

Started by Cure Freak, September 16, 2007, 01:54:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Cure Freak

What is your favorite cover done by The Cure? Mine is Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart

Carnage Visor

I really dig their "You Really Got Me" cover, as well as "Hello, I Love You" because I never really liked the latter until I heard Robert singing it...

Bloodflower

I like the long version of Hello I Love You a lot, but I don't really care for the more standard cover....

My favourite cover would probably have to be Love Will Tear Us Apart, though.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

lordsquidy13

Steve

Quote from: Cure Freak on September 16, 2007, 01:54:01
What is your favorite cover done by The Cure? Mine is Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart

Nah. That is a complete mess of a cover. Only worse one I can think of is Moby's cover of Temptation. What utter pish!

My fave Cure cover is Don't Believe A Word.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

japanesebaby

imo the problem with the cure covering joy division is because they are too much alike in terms of genre/sound. of course they can play it alright and sound good in the process, but in the end there's nothing really new in it at all - and so you start thinking "ok but what's the point?". i think when a band wants to play a cover they should pick a song that would be at least a bit more distant to their own style, otherwise it really doesn't make too much sense (imo). often the best covers ever are the ones that are really surprising, the ones that you would have thought to be very unlike combinations before you ever heard them!

in my opinion, 'don't believe a word' is a lot better cover than 'love will tear...'. i especially like the version they did on the re_covered tv show.
anyway, i don't think the cure is very good with any covers at all. i don't know how to explain it any better but to me they always strangely sound a bit uncertain of thmselves, almost on the verge of being amateurish every time they do a cover, like they were treading too unfamiliar waters or something. i'm sure many people will disagree with this though.

i like 'hello i love you' psychedelic mix and 'purple haze' (both versions) the most, i guess.

(something non-cure related but concerning covers:
probably the best cover ever from any band i know is 'hyperchondriac music' by muse. well you could say it's not exactly a cover (since it's actually a band covering themselves!), but i think it's simply the best re-working of a song i've ever come across. it succeeds in a rare trick of taking a good song and turning it into another really good song, a completely new point of view - i love it!)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Cure Freak

To be hones I;ve only listen to Love Will Tear Us Apart, Purple Haze, Young American and the three of Hello, I love you.
And in some aspects, now, I have to agree with you, japanesebaby , about Joy Division and The Cure. I guess I have so much love for that song, from JD, that i chose it.
People make mistakes. :oops:
I love Purple Haze, as well.

japanesebaby

Quote from: Cure Freak on September 16, 2007, 22:59:46

heh well i wasn't saying there was anything bad in liking it - i actually like it too... it's just that it doesn't make me really thrilled: i just find myself thinking "i could just as well listen to the original version by JD than this" so maybe it's somehow pointless anyway.
doesn't mean the same as bad/crap, though.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Cure Freak

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 16, 2007, 23:06:20

heh well i wasn't saying there was anything bad in liking it - i actually like it too... it's just that it doesn't make me really thrilled: i just find myself thinking "i could just as well listen to the original version by JD than this" so maybe it's somehow pointless anyway.
doesn't mean the same as bad/crap, though.

No, I know you didn't. But, you are right about it being too close to JD's .

Descent

To be fair Robert Smith didn't choose to cover LWTUA. That was a Australian girl who won a radio contest and they had to do it then. I don't like it very much. They recorded it in a van with very basic equipment... I guess they didn't want to spend some money here. :lol:

My favorite is probably Hello I Love You (both the regular and psychedelic versions).

Cure Freak

Quote from: Descent on September 16, 2007, 23:21:52
To be fair Robert Smith didn't choose to cover LWTUA. That was a Australian girl who won a radio contest and they had to do it then. I don't like it very much. They recorded it in a van with very basic equipment... I guess they didn't want to spend some money here. :lol:

I didn't know that. And I guess not.

themurderchair

for some reason i could just never get into their covers of purple haze and hello i love you
dont know why
the very first time i saw your face i thought of a song and quickly changed the tune. the very first time i touched your skin i thought of a story and rushed to reach the end too soon.

Steve

To be hones I;ve only listen to Love Will Tear Us Apart, Purple Haze and ht three od Hello, I love you.
And in some aspects, now, I have to agree with you, japanesebaby , about Joy Division and The Cure. I guess I have so much love for that song, from JD, that i chose it.

:oops: :oops:
Sorry Cure Freak. Don't take it to heart. Just my opinion really.
I see no-one's admitting to Young Americans then :lol:
Cheers
Steve

Cure Freak

Quote from: Steve on September 17, 2007, 10:35:08
To be hones I;ve only listen to Love Will Tear Us Apart, Purple Haze and ht three od Hello, I love you.

:oops: :oops:
Sorry Cure Freak. Don't take it to heart. Just my opinion really.
I see no-one's admitting to Young Americans then :lol:
No needs to aplogize. I'm not. And I respect  your opinion, as wellm\, as the others.
I forgot to mentio YA, as another one, I've heard.  Not really crazy about that one.

Steve

No needs to aplogize. I'm not. And I respect  your opinion, as wellm\, as the others.
I forgot to mentio YA, as another one, I've heard.  Not really crazy about that one.

Come to think of it, the original's a load of rubbish too :lol:
Cheers
Steve