2008.12.19 "RS: I can't see a long future for The Cure", World Cafe, WXPN-FM, US

Started by dsanchez, December 25, 2008, 16:46:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Borl Poris

I have not checked in for a long time and it saddens me that I have to! I think as much as we enjoyed the reissue series with all the fantastic unreleased material (which still isn't finished yet I would be happy if Wish had been re-issued by now, because i am sure it has the most amazing unreleased gems out of all the others) it slowed Robert down creatively. I have a feeling he went back and really listened to 3immaginary boys through Wish and thought man we really lost the plot after Porl and Boris left. I was excited about the official press release for 4:14 Scream and the deluxe version called 4;26 Scream, where he promised the original 4:13 would be mastered properly and then we finally get the rest of the sessions which was apparently the dark album. What a bunch of bullshit that was, I was not sad, I was pissed it never happened. Rumors are flying that Reeves Gabrels is still working on re-doing Porl's guitar parts. I love Reeves, but I want to hear Porl. Let's not forget the lies about Orange and Show DVD's and the aborted Reflections DVD which would have been amazing. I think Robert is not used to releasing stuff without full label support, but where did full label support get them on Wild Mood Swings, Bloodflowers, The Cure and 4:13? Do it yourself Robert and quit dicking us around. I know you don't owe us shit, but quit with the lies, none of us are getting any younger man, especially you. Too bad you didn't wait to do these reissues after the Cure had come full circle. I love you still man and I am happy with what we got, but the teasing man, even after putting out press releases about 4:26 Scream (what the hell were you thinking) and announcing Mixed Up 2 released this side of Christmas in 2012? With mixes by Mogwai and Cranes, I was dying to hear those. I can only hope you are about to deliver something that will shut us all up as Cooper-Gabrels-Gallup-O'Donnel-Smith. I am happy to wait as long as it is the best thing since Wish...Also (Yawn, but) get Boris back behind the kit, I understand Porl is a lost cause, or is she?

Ulrich

Quote from: skintwinkie on May 24, 2015, 22:06:05
I have a feeling he went back and really listened to 3immaginary boys through Wish and thought man we really lost the plot after Porl and Boris left.

Sorry, this conclusion (or "feeling") does not fit in with this:

Quote from: skintwinkie on May 24, 2015, 22:06:05I was excited about the official press release for 4:14 Scream

Why should he release that stuff from the time "they'd lost the plot"?  :?

Quote from: skintwinkie on May 24, 2015, 22:06:05Let's not forget the lies about Orange and Show DVD's and the aborted Reflections DVD which would have been amazing. I think Robert is not used to releasing stuff without full label support

I have no idea about "label support", I can only say "plans can change". Robert himself said he is not good in "longtime planning". Maybe he shouldn't do press releases announcing plans then.  ;)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

@skintwinkie
Don't you think that your expectations are too high,do you? The current line up
is remarkable and,please don't forget,the reception of the later albums,except Bloodflowers,
particularly through the fans,remains below average.I don't think that they lost the plot
because Robert leaves nothing to chance,even the "dark album". :roll: :?
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Sodoura

Oh my God! This is giving me the chills. :( I have missed every concert and every album release they ever had.
And to think I'll never see them live, like, not even once, is just...
:(  :smth100 :smth089
Where fantasy and fun come to life...

Ulrich

Don't worry too much! I think Reeves told fans not to worry not long ago.

I can imagine another album being released (whenever it'll be ready). This then will be YOUR album, because you then can go out and buy it on the day of release (or download it...)!

I hope you'll be able to see The Cure live in the near future. Be prepared for a real blast then! :)

Sodoura

Oh, I'm glad to hear that. :D Yes, I hope they release an album soon. Robert said they were going to release a new one with a surprise date. But I'm not quite sure, because you never know.
But, hey, thanks for telling me that. :)
(He had also said The Cure in Orange for DVD around 2010 -- still no update)
Where fantasy and fun come to life...

MintQR

Quote from: skintwinkie on May 24, 2015, 22:06:05
none of us are getting any younger man, especially you.

haha, you should definitely write a letter to Robert saying that :) I'm pretty sure that'll get him back on track with all the recordings :))))

As for Pearl, wouldn't it be absolutely awesome to have her play with the Cure?! :D I personally also miss Perry and his crazy Disintegration guitar from the Bizarre festival... sigh...

Anyways, welcome back, guys :) (if you still remember me)

cheyler

No one 'promised' anything.  I'm glad he thought of the 2cd deluxe re-issue idea in the first place.  I'm waiting for 'Wish' for exactly the same reasons you are.  I'm prepared for it to remain a concept rather than materialize as product.  If we never get the f*****g thing I'll be disappointed but considering all the great live stuff from the period, I can live with that.  That post-it interview on this site is really good because it explains precisely why things are and are not done by and within The Cure.  It really answered every question I've ever had re: The Cure.

The 4:13 Dream album and companion 'dark' album...how much work can one do and how much enthusiasm can be mustered to go back and actually work on unfinished tracks that were started by a band that no longer exists??  Probably, oh I don't know, ZERO!?  I think Thin Lizzy did that once, and that was a bad idea.  The one thing I really really want to see, even if we never see another 'archival-type' release is the Paris 2008 dvd.  That show is unbelievable.  I'm still pissed that Porl left.  As pissed as anyone can be about someone I couldn't dislike if someone put a gun to my head anyway.  In a recent interview, Pearl said he couldn't rule out re-joining The Cure (!!!!!!) but also that at this time it doesn't really seem like an option.  Probably never happen, not for longer than a couple gigs at best.

The Cure are still quite good as a live band, just short of great.  I still want to take a bolt cutter to that whammy bar of Reeves'.  Another guy it's impossible to dislike.  From where I sit anyway.  There are at this point so many great songs that if there isn't sufficient interest from RS to take a stab at writing new material, there will still be gigs...until there aren't.  Whether they decide to make one or not, the reasons for both decisions are in that interview.

cheyler

, I have heard from people who went to their concerts back then

Jeez, you're killing me with the 'back then' thing...  Concert-going has changed so much from decade to decade that it's difficult to relate one to another...and change isn't always for the better.  The 90s really ruined the concert experience for me, and right away too...right at the beginning of 1991.  The 80s were probably the best time. 

I know this post was some time ago, but when I saw the 'back then' I had to reply even if no one reads it.

cheyler

Also, if taken literally, 'alt.end' says exactly the same thing (as the quote that started this chain).  And how many line-up changes have there been since?  Roger and Perry out, Porl in, Porl out, Roger returns and Reeves arrives.  Almost forgot, we also get to show our appreciation for Lol once more, even if only for a short time.  That's either a never-ending quest for discovery or a very strong reluctance to bring things to a close.  Or some of both.  Either way, the fans are (generally) happy...very happy.  We love ya, you big dummies.  To (mis-)quote Captain Beefheart.  Well, mangle Captain Beefheart really.

Strange, 'alt.end' seems to suggest that RS wanted the then current line-up to be the last.  Then 'It's Over', written three-ish years later, seems to suggest that RS was/is extremely frustrated that the various line-ups never lasted very long.  The ones he wanted to last, anyway.  The 2005-2009 line-up ended waaaaaay too soon.

Ulrich

3 posts in a row? Really?  :roll:

Quote from: cheyler on June 04, 2015, 01:57:29
Also, if taken literally, 'alt.end' says exactly the same thing (as the quote that started this chain).

Erm, maybe we should NOT take song lyrics too literally, huh?   :smth011

Quote from: cheyler on June 04, 2015, 01:57:29Strange, 'alt.end' seems to suggest that RS wanted the then current line-up to be the last. 

It does not. It might be an imaginative song about a relationship, for example.

Yeah and I should care if you go
Really should care about your love or your hate of me
Yeah I should care... but I don't
And it's not about giving up on you
It's not a case of do or die

Do you even read the lyrics before you post your theories?  :oops:

Quote from: cheyler on June 04, 2015, 01:57:29
Then 'It's Over', written three-ish years later, seems to suggest that RS was/is extremely frustrated that the various line-ups never lasted very long.

Which line in the song exactly does suggest this strange theory?  :smth011

This does not sound like he's talking about a band line-up:
QuoteRun my head around it
Like I know I really miss her
"But I always want to do it now"
She told me in a whisper
I try so hard to place it
Wonder why I really feel it
When to send the pretty flowers
Maybe helps her to believe it

Or does it?  :?

cheyler

Read the lyrics?  That would definitely be taking them out of context.  I intentionally don't read them, whatever I hear is what I have to work with.  I also do not read the lyrics as I listen to the songs...that smacks of Dr. Seuss and those old Disney records.  Are you the final arbiter of who does or does not understand The Cure?  You have received personally from the author the complete list of what all the songs mean?  You are WAAAAAAAAAY cooler than I thought, and I already had quite a high opinion of you.  You can't tell people their OPINIONS are wrong.  Subjectivity is not up for debate.  If opinions CAN be wrong, if subjectivity IS up for debate here on this site, I am definitely keeping my mouth (via my fingers) firmly shut.  That would be taking something that should be good-natured and fun to such an extreme that...well, that's just something I can't be a part of.  Of course there's always an alternative explanation.  I realize it's been seventy years now but it's possible there is still a slight 'hangover'?  Something that hasn't quite yet been flushed out of the gene pool?  That's only an opinion, mind...  I'll probably catch it for that last bit, but what the hell.  And yes, three posts in a row.  I find that if I reply to myself, I am more likely to get a well-thought-out and considered response.

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on June 06, 2015, 05:55:19
You can't tell people their OPINIONS are wrong. 

Yes and I did not. I only tried to point out that you "forgot" to mention any quotes/examples from those lyrics to underline your opinion. (Or any other kind of hint, like RS telling it in an interview.)

IF you have to take them literally, you should be able to point out the "literal" bit.

Of course there's always an alternative explanation. 

Indeed, there can be. (However, with lyrics like "...miss her" & "she told me..." there is not much room for interpretation that it's about a "band", in my humble opinion.)

I realize it's been seventy years now but it's possible there is still a slight 'hangover'? 

Huh?  :?

And yes, three posts in a row.  I find that if I reply to myself, I am more likely to get a well-thought-out and considered response.

Can you find any examples for this theory?  :roll:

MeltingMan

Quote from: cheyler on June 03, 2015, 19:31:58
The 4:13 Dream album and companion 'dark' album...how much work can one do and how much enthusiasm can be mustered to go back and actually work on unfinished tracks that were started by a band that no longer exists??
I won't or I can't imagine this abstract idea.I hope that the rest of the recordings,unfinished
or not,will be publishing not only posthumously. :?
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

cheyler

Hard to say but less likely as time passes.  I'd love to hear the songs; that line-up is in my top three.  As the latest line-up gets more and more established, those songs become less and less relevant.  If not to the fans, definitely to the guy what wrote 'em.