Summer festivals 1995

Started by Ulrich, June 19, 2015, 19:29:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

Almost exactly 20 years ago, I managed to see The Cure at "Rock Am See Festival" on June 17th, 1995. This was part of a small tour of "summer festivals" (during the recording of the band's next album, which was to be released a year later). Three new songs were performed (Want, Jupiter Crash, Mint Car), of course back then there was no youtube or such, I'm sure bootlegs did exist, but I myself did not get to hear those songs again until the album was out!
(Well, I had hoped for the album to be out in 1995, but as usual it took longer...)

http://www.cure-concerts.de/concerts/1995-06-17.php

It was a good show. A new drummer was present and Roger was back. (I hadn't read about the line-up before the show, so all I could do was guess. It certainly looked like Roger to me from afar!)

Some other bands were interesting to me as well: Heather Nova, NMA and Sinead O'Connor, all of whom put on a good performance.

Check out this page for more info on the other shows of that summer:
http://www.cure-concerts.de/main/1995.php

Anyone been to one of them?
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Thanks for the link to this, @Ulrich - it's worth digging this up again and bringing it to people's attention!  This link in particular http://www.picturesofyou.us/poyindex.htm is quite the archive - way more than I can read, but nice for dipping into when brain dead!  :)

We looked at the '95 studio photos as suggested - interesting to see them not done up to the hilt as for the stage, with the hair skywards etc.  They almost look normal!  :winking_tongue

SueC is time travelling

An imaginary boy

I was there, in Athens. Best concert in my life.
The crowd was crazy, I was jumping and screaming all the time. Countless girls fainted around...
I went with my brother and we lost each other 😁

I still remember how I lost my mind in the beginning of Disintegration. And the strong impression that Jupiter Crash made to me. I expected the new album to be a new Disintegration because of it. OK, it didn't happen, but I still adore the song.

Oh my God. What a concert!
I went away alone, with nothing left but FAITH

Ulrich

Good to hear from someone who was there at one of the '95 shows!  :smth023

Quote from: An imaginary boy on April 20, 2021, 01:47:45...the strong impression that Jupiter Crash made to me. I expected the new album to be a new Disintegration because of it. OK, it didn't happen, but I still adore the song.

Yes, I liked Jupiter Crash (& Want) immediately too (and I still do)!

SueC

Jupiter Crash is an all-time favourite for me, and of course I like Want, being of hippie inclinations...  :angel

I'll be honest though, I've never been able to relate to the fainting and screaming people do.  I just clap politely.  My husband's the same, but then we usually feel like we come from another planet.  :-D
SueC is time travelling

Matti

How come I missed this thread back then? Probably too busy with a new job, furnishing a new flat and cleaning out the old.

@Ulrich, I was in Konstanz as well, my first ever Cure show. Skipped a day of school, borrowed my (then and now) best friend's tent and sleeping bag, and managed to survive the day on a breakfast of a few tomatoes and some wholemeal bread (yes I know that sounds like a romantic cliché, but there you go).

Want and Jupiter Crash really thrilled me (Mint Car not so much), and they still do, but then they were new which added to the feeling of seeing and hearing something really special. And later that year the aforementioned friend gave me a bootleg from the Glastonbury gig, which contained what I still consider the definitive Jupiter Crash version.

God how I'd love to see another Cure show.

Or any show tbh.
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

SueC

I don't like Mint Car either, @Matti.

...Australia is back to having concerts and sports with spectators these days - even starting to run festivals again, with care (and with delays if there's community transmission that needs to be stomped on first).  With vaccination progressing, won't be too long before you're able to do that in Europe too - I'd be surprised if you weren't going to gigs this time next year.  :)

And at least you lot have all been to a Cure concert...  :1f62d:
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: Matti on April 20, 2021, 19:33:40How come I missed this thread back then?

No problems, in the back of my head I seem to remember you'd mentioned being there in Konstanz in another topic at some other point in time!

Quote from: Matti on April 20, 2021, 19:33:40... then they were new which added to the feeling of seeing and hearing something really special.

Indeed, I was thrilled to be able to hear new songs (long) before they were released.