David Bowie 66 - new single

Started by Ulrich, January 08, 2013, 16:19:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

As we know Robert has been a fan of David Bowie (especially "Low").

Now David Bowie celebrates his birthday by the surprise release of his new single!
David Bowie: Where Are We Now?

QuoteDavid Bowie has celebrated his 66th birthday with the shock release of new single 'Where Are We Now?'.

Online speculation of an impending release had been growing ahead of his first new album in 10 years.

'Where Are We Now?' is released today on iTunes in 119 countries, costing £0.99.

The follow-up album 'The Next Day' is set to be released in March and can be preordered for £10.99, see tracklisting below. It will be the glam legend's 30th studio recording.
Text copied from:
http://www.music-news.com/index.asp
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Yeah, at first listening I wasn't impressed, second was better. A bit sentimental, this song, with some melancholy in there... (Robert might write such songs at the age of 66 too!)

Trust...

I liked this song immediately ... maybe just because it's relaxing, melancholic, makes me realize to take it easy a bit ;-)
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

piggymirror

Bowie has released a new album, called Blackstar. Very good, btw.

It contains a song called Lazarus, which has a suspicious ressemblance to some other band.

The video for the song Lazarus (click to watch) reinforces that even more, to the point that I'm not sure wether the woman under the bed is actually Siouxsie Sioux without makeup or not.

Ulrich

Quote from: piggymirror on January 09, 2016, 00:52:22
It contains a song called Lazarus, which has a suspicious ressemblance to some other band.

From what I heard, Bowie was inspired by Jazz and other "non-rock'n'roll" musicians... It might be that the band you think of had similar inspirations, but I honestly don't think Bowie tried to sound like them.
Never say "never", but this background story too mentions a lot of jazz:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-inside-story-of-david-bowies-stunning-new-album-blackstar-20151123

Some fun for all of you here:
If you really want to feel like a total loser, then visit 'What Did David Bowie Do at Your Age?'

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/if_you_really_want_to_feel_like_a_total_loser_then_visit_what_did_david_bow
QuoteHowever, some clever person has decided to create a website dedicated to shaming the paltry accomplishments of your life when compared to that of David Bowie. The site is called What Did David Bowie Do at Your Age? The way it works is, you type in your current age, and then it spits out something that Bowie was doing at that age.
:lol:

piggymirror

Quote from: Ulrich on January 09, 2016, 17:00:59
Quote from: piggymirror on January 09, 2016, 00:52:22

From what I heard, Bowie was inspired by Jazz and other "non-rock'n'roll" musicians... It might be that the band you think of had similar inspirations, but I honestly don't think Bowie tried to sound like them.
Never say "never", but this background story too mentions a lot of jazz:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-inside-story-of-david-bowies-stunning-new-album-blackstar-20151123

Man. Have you watched the video? It looks so much like Lullaby and has A CLOSET (to me).
And btw, if you did, did you like it?

The song ends exactly like a part of Carnage Visors, and A Forest a little bit, too.

And the drumming has quite some Lol-ness, even if played by a galactically better drummer than Lol.

I mean, it doesn't sound only like The Cure, but to me it's obvious there is a something.

Besides, the new Bowie album having a connection to jazz, The Cure immediately comes to mind.

It's got to be jazz.

Seventhsonofaseventhson

Ulrich

It's not 10 yet and already a bad day.
R.I.P. Bowie.  :(

Quote from: piggymirror on January 11, 2016, 02:48:16
Have you watched the video?

No, I couldn't (the usual problem in Germany, youtube can't show some due to problems with GEMA).
But I'd heard the song a while ago... back then it didn't make me think of any other band.

piggymirror

Quote from: Ulrich on January 11, 2016, 09:59:33
It's not 10 yet and already a bad day.
R.I.P. Bowie.  :(

Ok, so the Blackstar was this.

He was smart enough to even tell us he was dying and make a great record out of it.

I wonder how will Robert and Reeves react to this.  :(

Quote from: piggymirror on January 11, 2016, 02:48:16
Have you watched the video?

No, I couldn't (the usual problem in Germany, youtube can't show some due to problems with GEMA).
But I'd heard the song a while ago... back then it didn't make me think of any other band.

Oh, It did to me since second one. The Cure, Joy Division and Japan.

Well, so the Lazarus video looks quite a bit like Lullaby and it contains a closet, like Close To Me.
And the woman in the video suspiciously looks like Siouxsie.

Quite telling that he used that for his last single ever.

Ulrich

Quote from: piggymirror on January 11, 2016, 10:22:40
I wonder how will Robert and Reeves react to this. 

By being sad?
(Would be my guess.)

Oh, It did to me since second one.

Now you mentioned it, I can hear it.  ;)

dsanchez

I wonder how will Robert and Reeves react to this.  :(

well done, my friend. the world has the music. what I remember most is the laughing.

Posted by Reeves Gabrels on Monday, 11 January 2016
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo