searching for a song played at concert

Started by Roost, March 27, 2015, 05:03:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Roost

This is a long shot - In the 90's The Cure played at Canada's Wonderland. Before the band took the stage a version of Ave Maria played. It was a mix of grunge and rock unlike any version I have ever heard. Robert Smith could have been the voice. Any ideas of the version? I checked with the sound guys and they said the pre/post concert songs were provided by the band.

Matti

Hi,

a very long shot indeed. "Canada" and "the 90's" might be a description a bit too random, could you be a little more precise?
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

Ulrich

2 thoughts; first one is: if Robert had sung it, we'd probably have heard about it at some point in time.
Second: another long shot is trying to google "ave maria rock (or grunge) version".

Nearest thing to "grunge" I found via a quick search was Chris Cornell (Soundgarden - definitely a grunge band) doing it:
http://www.alternativenation.net/listen-to-chris-cornells-christmas-song-ave-maria/

Also, this list might help a bit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ave_Maria_(disambiguation)

Quote"Ave Maria" (Beyoncé Knowles song), 2008
"Ave Maria", a song by French singer Charles Aznavour
"Ave María", a song by Spanish singer David Bisbal from his album Corazón latino
"Ave Maria", a song by industrial rock band KMFDM
"Ave Maria", a song by punk band The Menzingers, from their first album A Lesson In Abuse Of Information Technology
"Ave Maria", a song by Regina Spektor
"Ave Maria", a song by Rowland S. Howard from his album Pop Crimes
"Ave Maria (Survivors of a Different Kind)", a song by Jennifer Rush
"Ave Mary A", a song by Pink from her album Funhouse
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Roost

Thanks! I had searched ave maria rock n' roll, and alternative. I did not try "grunge." The Sound Garden version is promising.

Thanks to everyone!

u-a-b-f

Well .... Canadas Wonderland is near Toronto, no? So it must be Kingswood Music Theatre.  Cure only once played there, but not in the 90's. 

13.07.1986 Maple - Kingswood Music Theatre (Canada/ON)