Has a live version ever changed your opinion for the better?

Started by Secrets, August 13, 2007, 13:25:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Secrets

Has anyone found their opinion of a song they didn't like reversed after hearing the song live?

I'm curious as I found my opinion of The End of The World vastly improved after hearing it live the other day in Sydney. It's not a bad song.

Is it the production that ruined it?

japanesebaby

that's interesting because i've maybe had more experiences the other way round. and also interesting because 'the end of the world' would have been my first example. i've always thought it pretty much fails when played live (the same could be said about several other tracks on 'the cure' too). i think robert really can't pull the vocals of 'the end of the world' well enough in live setting. and i've always thought that the fact that they sometimes changed the key of that song in live versions for 2005 (which they never have done otherwise in the past or present, really) is some kind of  symptom that they realized they were having problems with it. but i think i've said this elsewhere several times already so i'm just boringly repeating myself here now.
anyway, even if i'd disagree about the studio/live superiority i should say i'm happy if it made you like the song more - because i think it is a good song!

'wendy time' is better live than on the album. but then again i never really hated that track as much as many people seem to do.
and then i guess i could easily write a long list of cure songs which i originally thought were great anyway but which got even better after hearing certain live versions, starting from 'the kiss'....

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Soxguy

it is most definitely a production thing...hahaha

"the Kiss" on Trilogy is one of the best live songs I've ever heard. 
"...Ambition in the back of a black Car"

Miladojka Youneed

Speaking of Trilogy, One Hundred Years at the opening is a blast!!  :rocker
For always and ever it's always for you...

http://cure.mojblog.co.yu

Soxguy

Amen to One Hundred Years! honestly, the Trilogy set is in my opinion the best produced live set the Cure has. while i pretty much enjoy ANY video i see from the Cure, Production is always a plus.  I'm sure it can be difficult when producing live shows, but these guys are on top of their game. absolute perfect sound.  Simons Bass is thunder!

God Bless u guys!!

"...Ambition in the back of a black Car"

Miladojka Youneed

Yea, some coolness is always refreshing after Cure's oh so dark minimalism  :P

Credits say that Robert mixed the sound, so no mistake there I can tell ya that  :smth020
For always and ever it's always for you...

http://cure.mojblog.co.yu

Bloodflower

I really like Trilogy.

Fascination Street is one song that I thought was pretty good, but it wasn't until I heard it on Trilogy that I thought it was great. Then I heard a recording of it from Glastonbury 1990, and if you skip past the interruption (someone in the audience was crushed -- a helicopter had to get him/her out), then you get this really fantastic, but shorter, version; it made the song not great in my mind, but incredible.

I thought Bare was an incredible song when I first heard it closing Wild Mood Swings, but then I started looking for bootlegs of it, and I found that it's better still live; the last 'movement,' so to speak, when the drums and the guitar and keyboards all kick back in is better live than on the record itself.

Does anyone know if there is a soundboard boot from the Swing Tour? I've only found audience recordings, and none of them have been fantastic....

Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

Carnage Visor

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kqMCLvFjlvU

I just love the vibe it gives...Robert gives it a different twist than the album version...

They're amazing live...

Bloodflower

Oh! And Why Can't I Be You?, A Forest, and Faith as well, of course. All are much, much, much better in their extended versions. How I could forget this is beyond me....

Why Can't I Be You? with the Aristocats stuff, Sinatra, and a bit of The Lovecats is fantastic.

A Forest with improvisations and extra lyrics is easily the best thing about the Wish Tour. Same goes for Faith on the Prayer Tour.

A Forest at Auburn Palace in 1992, Faith at third night at Wembley in 1989....
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

closedown

The Kiss for sure, don't like it too much on the album, but that was a real winner on the Dream Tour. Another good example is Push - works way better live than on the album

Secrets

Alt.end is another song that seems to be improved with Porl added to it.  Even Wrong Number rocked a lot more the other night than I expected.

B-Flower

"Secrets" live made me fall in love with this song, 'cause I didn't like the album version (because of too quiet vocals)  :smth020
How time will heal, make me forget?!
YOU PROMISED ME!!!

strange_day

Songs that made me take notice after seeing/hearing them live :

Plainsong - when i saw them back in 2004, they opened with it, best opening to a concert ive ever seen.

Labyrinth - the bass kicks in much more, i thought it sounded much better, brought it to life.

100 years - listened to this so many times.... but i when i first heard it live, its blew me away.

The Kiss - of course. ;)

A forest - again and again and again.......  :rocker

Sussex

When talking about The Kiss, I do agree that the live version is a lot better..

By the way, The Drowning Man...oooohhh...damn scary when i heard it being played live.. :rocker
"Thick As Shit"

devoblue

I really enjoyed the version of Fascination Street that they played in Adelaide, sounded so much better than the Album.  I really noticed Roberts vocals on alt.end that night also, and I thought Grinding Halt really went off and The Walk stood out.  Us or Them sounded pretty good also, much thicker and heavier than before, and The End Of The World was worthwhile.

At the thursday and friday shows in Sydney I really got into the bass of Close To Me.  It was simply Huge.

I'll be adding 'The Cure' album back onto the playlist shortly.  There's a lot more that I need to get out of that album.

f*ck Parental Advisory.  Mines a Pint.