Interview with Roger O'Donnell in SiriusXM radio

Started by dsanchez, April 07, 2019, 13:39:44

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

tanyasmith

Roger is so easy to understand! No having to go backwards to try to figure out what he said. I thought he liked Morrissey after seeing that he was a part of The Smiths film. Glad to have that myth dispelled. Now to listen the rest...

dsanchez

Highlights:

QuoteThere has been a war going on between The Smiths and The Cure since I can remember, based on he [Morrissey] is an idiot. Everybody knows that.

QuoteWhen Robert asked me why I did the film about Morrissey I told him I did it because I hate him, and I could make lots of money out of it.

QuoteWe [The Cure] live very quiet outside of when we're on stage

QuoteWe usually don't argue with him [Robert] cause is pointless. You know, when he chooses a set list, I might say something and Simon might say something [...] well, first of all we didn't know if we were coming [to the induction] until about two weeks ago because he couldn't just decide whether we should do it.

QuoteThe Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in their great 'wisdom' refused to accept Andy along Mathew and Phil Thornalley, which we thought it was absolutely ridiculous [...] It would have been such a nice thing to do for Andy, but they just refused, and that really pissed us off to be honest.

QuoteThe Rock & Roll Hall of Fame does not mean anything in England and it does not mean anything to any of us. We are not hockey players.

QuoteWe are very comfortable with each other [in the current The Cure line up], which has not always been the case

QuoteYou can never believe anything Robert says.

QuoteI am more into jazz and classical music

About how the band works:

QuoteWe write individually and bring the demos and listen to them all together, and then we mark them, and then we choose the best ones. And ultimately Robert chooses the songs that he thinks he can write lyrics to and sing to
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on April 07, 2019, 20:09:40
Highlights:

QuoteThere has been a war going on between The Smiths and The Cure since I can remember, based on he [Morrissey] is an idiot. Everybody knows that.

Hm, I can't help but agree here. I've never liked Morrissey and how he puts his persona across since the 80's!  :P
Great idea about making money out of that film though.  :lol:
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

Quote from: dsanchez on April 07, 2019, 20:09:40

QuoteWe are not hockey players.

To be honest, everyone knows that I had my doubts about the whole event and if it's right
for The Cure until someone said "Come on, guys! You have to see it as a sporty show." Another
one expressed his view that this is a "popularity contest" and that The Cure actually don't need that.
From today's perspective it all seems right, I mean Robert's behavior (previously discussed) and Roger's
statement so far, but it gives me a slight bitter taste, because I voted almost every day. I can't change it
now, but in a couple of years this event might appear in a different or better light.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on April 09, 2019, 11:06:42
Another one expressed his view that this is a "popularity contest" and that The Cure actually don't need that.

Re-read the topic if you need more accurate info: http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=8862.0

Actually dscanchez said this term first:
Being part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame does not make them greater than they already are. The Cure's music is not a popularity contest.

All other statements came later!
Including one of yours:
QuoteThis is not only a popularity contest, but also a loyalty test, so every loyal fan has to vote every day.

:persevere:

Quote from: MeltingMan on April 09, 2019, 11:06:42
From today's perspective it all seems right, I mean Robert's behavior (previously discussed) and Roger's
statement so far, but it gives me a slight bitter taste, because I voted almost every day.

Well, that is your problem - I told you back then that (in my opinion) The Cure probably won't give much attention to such things - and looking at it now, I was right.  :cool

I'd also added critical quotes about the HoF and its proceedings, but you had nothing to say about that. Had you paid more attention to those, maybe you wouldn't have wasted your time on voting every day...

In short: next time, listen to me.  :D

chemicaloverload

Daddy Ulrich telling it like it is. Reading that makes me want to go sit in the naughty corner  :rofl
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

Ulrich

I begin to feel like a teacher... "Pay attention at the back!!!!"  :lol:

MeltingMan

Quote from: Ulrich on April 09, 2019, 11:26:38
I'd also added critical quotes about the HoF and its proceedings, but you had nothing to say about that. Had you paid more attention to those, maybe you wouldn't have wasted your time on voting every day...

I didn't ignore those quotes. The idea was to save The Cure from a worse placing, despite
the fact that they (i.e. The Cure) don't really care about. The admin has opened the thread
and made it clear at once. The (overseas) request for more "fan support" came later and I
saw no reason in "not voting" so to say. I agree with Roger in all points except in quote #6,
which appears quite nihilistic to me. I'm sorry, but that's my opinion.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on April 11, 2019, 10:22:01
I didn't ignore those quotes. The idea was to save The Cure from a worse placing...

Did you listen to the whole interview (audio link above)? In it is said that, all those many fan votings did in the end count as "one vote" only. (Thus, it helped; but in the end it was the majority of the members of the comitee who brought the band into the HoF.)

Anyway, that quote is of course just Roger's opinion and there might be a few people in England who do care about the HoF; however the Cure are obviously not among them (which is what I'd thought right from the start)...