2019.08.16 Glasgow - Bellahouston Park (Scotland) 'Glasgow Summer Sessions'

Started by dsanchez, October 22, 2018, 20:27:43

Previous topic - Next topic

chemicaloverload

Quote from: Webbie on May 28, 2019, 21:42:10For this show still no tickets were send by organiser or am I wrong :disappointed: ?

I don't have mine yet either, so don't worry too much.
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

chemicaloverload

They aren't ready yet, I checked with my friend just to make sure and she's in the same boat. Hopefully we'll get them soon  :)

Ulrich

A mate (from UK) informed about this:
"Tickets for The Cure in Glasgow are 2 for the price of 1 in Ticketmaster's Flash Sale today if anyone fancies a bargain combined with a trip North..."
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Webbie

E-ticket in the pocket and almost time for my Scotlandtrip. Third Cure show this summer after nice Dublin and superb Bucharest shows. Do we have already a lineup timetable for this Friday? :)

SueC

Quote from: dsanchez on October 23, 2018, 16:28:45
Quote from: word_on_a_wing on October 23, 2018, 13:53:54You read my mind haha!!
....alas the reality of AU$1700 airfares drops the wind from my sails.

Where do you live? If you're in Melbourne there's a flight Melbourne/London/Melbourne in August 2019 for just 616 EUR (999 AUD). You may check here.

And sometimes you can get even cheaper flights when you do standby on a charter flight.  I once flew home from London for a quarter of what I'd paid to get there.  I paid $400 Australian when I'd paid $1600 for a one-way ticket out (because you couldn't get returns unless you took them in the same year, then).  It was with Britannia and they served decent basic food, not plastic fancy imitations.  And when we got stranded at Nairobi airport because of catering (because we were re-routed through Africa at the last minute due to a Middle East crisis), we had such a delay that later on, when we were crossing the looong Indian Ocean stretch, they actually allowed me to lie down and sleep on the floor in the emergency exit zone, on the understanding that I would assist in case of emergency.  They were really cool... my legs had gone purple because of lack of space...

Really good experience, and right price too.  Wishing everyone luck hunting out bargains.  We usually fly on the 13th if we can fandangle it, because prices are often so much cheaper then due to people's superstitions...
SueC is time travelling

word_on_a_wing

Quote from: SueC on August 13, 2019, 06:02:28my legs had gone purple because of lack of space...

Really good experience,

We must have different ideas of a good experience! 😆

While I won't be going to the Glasgow show I'm content that it worked out I could go to the Oslo and Gotenborg shows. I'm currently in Paris finishing my holiday and need to fly back to Australia on Friday 16th (so my timeline just missed the Glasgow and Paris shows being possible).

I hope everyone able to attend Glasgow and Paris has a great time 😀
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

SueC

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on August 13, 2019, 12:04:24
Quote from: SueC on August 13, 2019, 06:02:28my legs had gone purple because of lack of space...

Really good experience,

We must have different ideas of a good experience! 😆

Cherry-picking, @word_on_a_wing:winking_tongue

On long hauls, my legs always end up purple unless I climb over the other passengers and walk up and down the aisle for hours ignoring other people's dirty looks.  With Qantas etc, they never let you lie on the floor - with the charter flight, they did!  The plane was different and had spaces rather than seats near the wings, where a few zombified souls got to rest horizontally...   :happy

Wishing you a safe flight back and no purple legs!  :cool
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

From the band's FB page:
QuoteTHE CURE RETURN TO SCOTLAND FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 27 YEARS TOMORROW TO HEADLINE @SMMRSESSIONS IN GLASGOW. THE SPECIALLY DESIGNED T-SHIRT & LITHO PRINT FOR THE SHOW IS AVAILABLE NOW AT SHOP.THECURE.COM

The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

A couple of clips of The Cure's first Scottish show in nearly three decades...

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

chemicaloverload

It was wonderful. Robert had lots of fun on stage, had the crowd laughing. At the end, he went off the stage then ran back on to say that he'll see Glasgow again soon. Loved every minute. In Roberts own words, it was f*cking excellent 😆💜

word_on_a_wing

Are some reviewers insane?

This morning I read this review and it really stunned me.  Granted I wasn't at this show, but I was at Oslo and Goteborg and the setlist was pretty much identical, so basing it on my experience of those shows his review is crazy.

One thing that struck me is how the reviewers thoughts were completely opposite to my own (and I mean completely!)

For example he indicates that Just Like Heaven and In Between Days were the highlights of the main set, whereas these tracks to me are the least powerful ...don't get me wrong, they are still very good, but when preceded by Burn, Fascination Street, Never Enough, and Push.  And then followed by From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, Play For Today, A Forest, Primary, Shake Dog Shake, 39, and Disintegration ...my perspective is that JLH and IBD is a tame little rest in between the awesomeness!!

He also went on to say the pop encore was welcome relief ...whereas I feel the opposite.  I'd gladly forgo the pop, and would love them to continue burning the house down! 

Quote from: theenglishleft on August 20, 2019, 10:26:50his mood mirrored quite a bit of the awful crowd.

Really? In what way was the crowd awful?

"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

SueC

I just read that review, and the most infuriating thing to me is that the misinformed ("heavy industrial sludge"?! - anyone want to play him some??? - or perhaps drop him in some, meow? :evil:) person who wrote it got paid to do so.  People with platforms they can take for granted often get sloppy, judgemental and downright nasty.

The same thing happened when The Cure were doing their gigs at the Sydney Opera House earlier this year - bilge like that coming out in The Guardian and local Australian rags.  There wasn't a favourable review to be found.  Worst of all though, to us, was all the slanging going on on Reddit, from so-called "fans" moaning about the hideousness of having B-sides imposed on them, when the show was advertised as Disintegration plus B-sides.

Unfortunately we couldn't go - ticket lottery situation plus we're on the other side of the continent - but we were glued to the live stream which we'd set up with the good sound system in the living room, and 100% enjoyed that show.  We don't know any band that plays more consistently professional concerts than this one, and we love what happens to their music when they're performing it live.  We're not uncritical lackeys to our favourite bands, but really couldn't find anything to criticise in that performance.  So I reviewed it on Reddit, just to put something out there that was more objective, and less snarky.

We feel like you do, @word_on_a_wing, about the music selections. :)  There's a lot of that sort of critique about, and perhaps it's an indication of a frothy brain that can only appreciate relatively frothy songs!  ;)
SueC is time travelling

chemicaloverload

chemicaloverload

The only thing I found awful was a large man from south of the border starting a fight with a 17 year old boy for dancing. So if this is what you're referring to theenglishleft, then you are most certainly correct.