What are your Cure hopes for 2020?

Started by dsanchez, December 22, 2019, 14:37:57

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

None of my 2019 hopes happened :( still, hoping for some things in the new year that is already around the corner:

- New album release
- World Tour announced
- Boris returns to the band
- Wish remastered and re-released in vinyl
- In Orange Blu-ray
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

SueC

The idea of having hopes re The Cure sort of doesn't occur to me because I avoid having my happiness depend on other people.  But since you ask, if I did have to nominate a hope, it would just be that they all have good health and happiness in 2020.

And I hope the same for you, and everyone on this little forum.  ♥

They probably will release that album in the works sometime this coming year, and that should be interesting. Because I'm a relatively recent fan (~5 years) I still don't have all the back catalogue, so there's always new music for me to look forward to.  When I do get a "new" album, it usually keeps me busy for about half a year.  Having said that, I think 2020 will be the year to add KM, Wish and The Head On The Door to our collection, because I've been meaning to do that for a while.

Also, we have the Cureation set coming in the mail and have set Christmas night aside to watch it.  We're looking forward to that.  :cool

On the vague topic, I hope to finish the B-sides thread - and that one depends only on me, and finding the time to do it.  It's ridiculous how busy the last couple of months have been.

I wish everyone here a happy Christmas - because Christmas isn't always happy, it's a fraught time for many people.  If you're happy, maybe invite someone who you think may not be having a good family celebration and is on the outer in some way.  If you're unhappy and noone is including you, perhaps go hike or cycle in a beautiful area, or help out at a charity Christmas lunch, or just do something you've always wanted to do, and remember to be kind to yourself, and treat yourself as you wish others would treat you.

And I wish everyone a very good 2020 - hopefully with a new Cure album!  ;)

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on December 23, 2019, 00:38:27The idea of having hopes re The Cure sort of doesn't occur to me because I avoid having my happiness depend on other people.  But since you ask, if I did have to nominate a hope, it would just be that they all have good health and happiness in 2020.

Well said! :smth023

Of course, with hopes coming directly out of cloudcuckooland, you're never going to be happy.

Seeing a "new album" was in the works according to one reliable (?) source (Robert), I would hope this will be released in the (near) future. A few (or many) concerts going along with the release, would be much welcome of course.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on December 23, 2019, 11:47:03Of course, with hopes coming directly out of cloudcuckooland, you're never going to be happy.

Now that wording really made me laugh!  :lol:

I think it is still reasonably safe to hope the sun will come up in the morning and that gravity won't be taking a day off - if anyone wishes to have any hopes for 2020!  ;)

Quote from: Ulrich on December 23, 2019, 11:47:03Seeing a "new album" was in the works according to one reliable (?) source (Robert), I would hope this will be released in the (near) future. A few (or many) concerts going along with the release, would be much welcome of course.

I had to laugh at this too.  :beaming-face  I think it is probably also still reasonably safe to hope that none of us are going to lose our sense of humour.  :cool
SueC is time travelling

jestoon425

That some more Wild Mood Swings tracks re-enter setlists. That the Wish re-issue comes out :)
But it's much too late you say
For doing this now
We should have done it then
Well it just goes to show
How wrong you can be
And how you really should know
That it's never too late
To get up and go

SueC

Is a Wish re-issue expected, @jestoon425? Because we don't have that studio album yet, and were putting it on our orders for this coming year.  Should we hold off a little?  And if you're a sound nerd, is it going to do better in terms of the loudness wars massacring of CDs than currently available version(s)?

One reason I ask is that the copy of Disintegration we have doesn't seem to have full dynamic range (like a lot of modern CDs :evil:) and we get far better sound off the Trilogy film.  There's a lot of high-frequency stuff missing (top of cymbals etc) compared to the film, for instance - and in general the sound seems compressed, like the original MP3s were...
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on December 26, 2019, 06:36:47Is a Wish re-issue expected?

It would be the logical "follow-up", seeing the latest re-issues were the remastered "Disintegration" deluxe box set (released in 2010!) and "Mixed Up" remaster & new mixes (released in 2018, I think)...

I myself would re-release this to go along with the 30th anniversary of it (i.e. late 2021, early 2022), but such logic hasn't worked so far (see above, with the Disintegration remaster being released for the 21st anniversary).
Well maybe with a new album in 2020 (?) they might push the remaster(s) a little bit further...

SueC

...@Ulrich, did you think the remaster of Disintegration sounded any better than the prior version?

PS:  They're not German, so don't expect them to stick to logic and order, or punctuality!  ;)
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

With the remasters, of course I'm aware that record company politics and such stuff would come in the way (e.g. I can imagine the Disintegration remaster was originally planned for release in 2009)...
Robert has stated in interviews that "Wish" would be the next in line (no date mentioned). So far all the re-issues were done in chronological order as far as I can tell (starting around 2005/6, I think).

Back to Cure hopes: I do hope the band will still exist for a good old while to come (not just in 2020)!

Quote from: SueC on December 26, 2019, 10:19:08...@Ulrich, did you think the remaster of Disintegration sounded any better than the prior version?

I'm not quite sure. Because from back in '89 I "only" owned the original album on vinyl (which leaves off 2 songs which are on the cd, thus I got to hear those only later)! Seeing it is quite a "long" album for a vinyl record, I would believe a "remaster" on 2 vinyl albums does sound better.
As for my cd version from 2010: I thought it sounded fabulous on my stereo and in my car!

MeltingMan

Quote from: dsanchez on December 22, 2019, 14:37:57- New album release

Should the new album actually appear at some point, I hope Robert has not yet "buried" the idea of the triple album. It would also be desirable if Pearl could do the sleeve design. That would appeal to me incredibly. But I admit that there is currently no evidence of this.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

jestoon425

Quote from: SueC on December 26, 2019, 06:36:47Is a Wish re-issue expected, @jestoon425? Because we don't have that studio album yet, and were putting it on our orders for this coming year.  Should we hold off a little?  And if you're a sound nerd, is it going to do better in terms of the loudness wars massacring of CDs than currently available version(s)?

One reason I ask is that the copy of Disintegration we have doesn't seem to have full dynamic range (like a lot of modern CDs :evil:) and we get far better sound off the Trilogy film.  There's a lot of high-frequency stuff missing (top of cymbals etc) compared to the film, for instance - and in general the sound seems compressed, like the original MP3s were...

Robert said it was finished two years ago in an interview

https://www.post-punk.com/robert-smith-says-the-cures-wish-remaster-is-finished-for-deluxe-edition/

Honestly, the original CD sounds great to my ears. (https://www.discogs.com/Cure-Wish/release/178722) The Cure didn't really participate in the loudness wars until 2004, and they really jumped the shark in 2008 with 4:13 Dream (I can barely listen to it through headphones, sadly.)

If you want a really good copy of Disintegration, this one is what I have:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Cure-Disintegration/release/178726

It's one of the most "spacious" CDs I own. I can turn it up, and hear new details every time :)
For doing this now
How wrong you can be
That it's never too late
To get up and go

SueC

Now I need to figure out which edition we have, etc etc.  It would be great to have an edition that sounds like you describe yours!  I hate record companies... grrrrr...

Thanks for all that info, @jestoon425:cool

Quote from: MeltingMan on December 26, 2019, 11:39:34Should the new album actually appear at some point, I hope Robert has not yet "buried" the idea of the triple album. It would also be desirable if Pearl could do the sleeve design. That would appeal to me incredibly. But I admit that there is currently no evidence of this.

Please educate me... I'm saying this from underneath a chair... neither of us think the artwork on Cure albums is a strong point (and not for many other bands as well), particularly the ones that look like they were done by kids in preschool.  The Disintegration cover is OK.  Please show me something you think is nice and tell me why you like it.  I might learn something...
SueC is time travelling

word_on_a_wing

Sue, I agree with the sentiment expressed by Brett of the best album art being on Pink Floyd albums, though I vote this one as the BEST album cover ever! (At least to my eyes)...

Cover Art -The Division Bell

Regarding the use of children's drawings on the 2004 album, it says this on Wikipedia...
"The artwork was designed by Smith's nephews and nieces: children who were unaware that their drawings were to be put on the album. The drawings were supposed to be of a 'good dream' and a 'bad dream' from each niece and nephew. Smith compiled the best drawings on the album and then produced it"
...I instantly recognised this, It's a projective assessment technique called 'draw a dream' that psychologists sometimes use as part of an initial assessment with a child who is struggling with some emotional and/or behavioural difficulties ...
with the idea that it can help make sense of the emotional and/or behavioural difficulties they may be presenting with, and therefore guide directions for treatment going forward (alongside other sources of info during the assessment).
I would be curious to understand how RS came upon this, and more about the story of these drawings.

Oh, and my Cure hopes for 2020. ... I don't really have any. During 2019 I feel I was spoilt with amazing concerts, first at the Sydney Opera House, and then a couple of the European festivals.  I can't really ask for more

But if I really had to think of something...
I'd love to see the 2019 Sydney Opera House concert released on DVD, and accompanying it would be a second disk: the (as yet unreleased) 2011 Sydney Opera House (Reflections) concert. ...good idea yeah???

"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

jestoon425

Quote from: SueC on December 28, 2019, 15:55:04I'm trying out if I can make attachments work here...

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment.

...I thought this was pretty neat - that's the one Brett made for the very first CD he gave me, and so for sentimental reasons, this is my favourite CD cover ever...  :heart-eyes

...I couldn't work out at first what the shells I'd sent him in a Valentine's Day present were doing on an album cover when I got this... (and that's the tag that went with them too...)

He says you need to go the second mile if you want to impress a nice girl...

PS:  I don't know why these are coming up twice!  ...to see them as anything but postage stamps, you need to click on the jpg hyperlinks!  :)
PPS: I didn't know how to attach these to a previous post, so I had to do a new one, apologies...

It looks like something you'd see on the Projekt label from the '80s :) (another great gothic label with Cure-like music)
For doing this now
How wrong you can be
That it's never too late
To get up and go

Ulrich

Maybe we should go and start a general topic about "artwork" for album covers (etc.)?