Song credits: who wrote what?

Started by revolt, June 06, 2008, 13:42:08

Previous topic - Next topic

revolt

I think it would be interesting if we could gather here all information available regarding which Cure members actually wrote what songs.

For instance, all songs in "Disintegration" are credited to Smith / Gallup / Thompson / O'Donnell / Tolhurst, but we know from interviews (mentioned somewhere in this site, I think) that Robert actually wrote 6 of them totally on his own (that is, music and lyrics).
Much the same has probably happened in other Cure albums: I remember Robert having declared that for the KMKMKM recording sessions all Cure members contributed their own songs and then they collectively voted to chose the best ones for inclusion in the album. Who actually wrote what, I wonder?

So, if anyone of you has information on this subject, either from reading/hearing interviews with the band or even from talking to Robert or any of the other guys, please post it here.

Thank you.

Nicholas

Uhm, off the top of my head, I think Porl wrote the music for 'Fight'...didn't Simon do the music (demos) for 'High' and 'Mint Car'...Jason for 'Never' and there's the thing about Lol writing the lyrics for 'All Cats Are Grey'...

KingOfSomeIsland

Lovesong is Robert's
Homesick is Simon's
Untitled is Roger's

Poe

Quote from: revolt on June 06, 2008, 13:42:08
For instance, all songs in "Disintegration" are credited to Smith / Gallup / Thompson / O'Donnell / Tolhurst, but we know from interviews (mentioned somewhere in this site, I think) that Robert actually wrote 6 of them totally on his own (that is, music and lyrics).

I posted this quote in another thread:

From "The holy hour", July 1989, by Jean & Philippe, for the French fanzine "Three Imaginary boys" (translated into English from French by Mad & Christine):

The sleeve of "Disintegration" and some songs like "Homesick" remind us of a solo album. Is it the kind of stuff that could have been released on a Robert Smith album ?

Robert: It couldn't. I didn't write "Homesick" and I didn't write the music too. It's another misconception. I mean, It's my own fault. Porl and Andy did the cover and they suggested putting me on the cover like drowning and I agreed to it at the time everyone said it was alright for me to go on the cover but it has caused problems within the group as well and in the papers. I'm being pushed more and more to the front now actually I don't think I am , I'm anymore in the front more than I ever have been. It's just there's just more written about us, there's just more pictures of me. It couldn't be a solo album at all.
Out of the 12 songs on the CD, I think I only wrote six musically.... "Untitled"... (to Simon) You wrote that one ? ...It was Roger. So it couldn't have been a solo album and if I'd done on my own it wouldn't have sounded anything like The Cure anyway apart from my own voice.

http://imaginaryboys.altervista.org/english/cure/articles/tib_holyhour.htm

I think the lyrics to Untitled is some of the best lyrics ever written by any Cure member, and if that member in this case happens to be Roger and not Robert, it would definitely put him in a different light for me. He could just have written the music though, not sure how to interpret Robert's answer...

By the way, didn't Porl write the music for "If only tonight we could sleep"? I've read about that somewhere. Anyhow, it's hard to know for sure who wrote what when all the bandmembers chip in, and I guess it shouldn't really matter, but it's fun trivia.
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]