A survey on fan mentality

Started by TRWASDOC, February 16, 2018, 20:21:06

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingMan

@TRWASDOC
To be honest, I have a problem with words like 'alienated' and 'obsessed'.
They imply a negative touch and I'm quite sure that Simon has been wrong
cited. He said outsiders and that's true. -

'Obsessed' suggests that we have no other interests apart from The Cure and that's
not true as well. The answers have shown that so far. I can't speak for the younger
ones but you mustn't think that all those 'melancholic' fans are "poor sausages".
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

A Strange Girl

A survey of fan mentality: The Cure

In General

How and when did you get to know the cure? I got to know the band when I was a teenager, mainly thanks to my mother who used to love the Cure when she was young

When and because of what did you turn  into a fan? It was love at first listen, I immediately liked their dark side and wanted to get to know their music better

You (I'll be writing about what we, as fans, have in common, so this part is on your person)

What other hobbies do you have? Music, movies, languages and translation, reading, traveling and my beloved dog

Do you do sports? Do you dance? I am terrible at sports! I walk my dog twice a day

How would you describe yourself? Quite, reserved, faithful, sensitive

How old are you? 24

What kinds of clothes do you like to wear? I like to be feminine, but comfortable at the same time. Instead of trousers, I prefer wearing dresses, skirts, leggings.

Do you believe in gender differences? I believe in gender differences, but not in gender supremacy.

Are you "depressed"? No. I have learned to appreciate my life and be happy of who I am and what I have

Do you do any music yourself? No

Are you married? No

Do you have or want kids? I don't have kids, but I really like them...Maybe one day

Us (What do we think of our own fan attitude?)

How would you describe our general fan mentality? Passionate and devoted

Do you agree with the following statements?:

1. Robert says fans of the band are "generally very passionate" and "all beautiful and clever." I agree with the first statement, the second one is maybe a bit "too much" and can't apply to everyone IMO

2. Simon notes fans often "feel a bit alienated". I agree, this reflects the introspective nature of most Cure fans

3. Many people are convinced most Cure fans are not that good in sports. Personally speaking, this is true!  :-D

4. Psychoanalyst Catherine Lavaillant stated in the MTV icon show in 2004 that the Cure "helps [fans]
with their adolescent issues".
Why only adolescents?

5. We are all fairly obsessed with our very favorite band. Hmm, I would use another adjective...Obsessed yes, but in a positive way

What else is there that you're convinced we all share? Introspection and sensitivity

The Cure Music

What's the best part about the Cure's music? The original, creative and dark nature of the Cure, but also the fact that they have so many different sides and this is what makes their records so beautiful and interesting in my opinion

The Band Persona and Image

Do you also care about Robert Smith as a person? After all these years of being a fan, yes

Would you say Robert's character is similar to your own? This is impossibly to say as I don't know know him in person, but we have some things in common

Do you care mostly about the music or is the cure image as important to you? The music is everything

Do you imitate The Cure look yourself? No

If Robert Smith left the band, would you still remain a fan? (Just wondering...) I don't think so, Robert Smith is the mastermind of the band

Has Robert Smith or another band member sometimes been like an invisible friend to you? Yes

Do you have a favorite band member? Bob
[/quote]
...I think you come from another world...

MeltingMan

A survey of fan mentality: The Cure

For the sake of completeness...

How and when did you get to know the cure?
Around 1987-88. Through broadcasting.

When and because of what did you turn into a fan?
I didn't like their image initially, but in 1992 I heard by chance This Twilight Garden
in the radio and that changed everything.

You (I'll be writing about what we, as fans, have in common, so this part is on your person)

What other hobbies do you have?
Everything that broadens my horizon (architecture, books, films). I haven't a proper 'hobby'.

Do you do sports? Do you dance?
Walking and cycling. I dance only on special occasions.

How would you describe yourself?
I'm a 'nature boy'.  ;)

How old are you?

What kinds of clothes do you like to wear?
70% outdoor gear, 20% branded clothes, 10% designer clothes

Do you believe in gender differences?
"Genderism" is overrated.

Are you "depressed"?
see reply #4

Do you do any music yourself?
see reply #4

Are you married?
see reply #4

Do you have or want kids?
see reply #4

Us (What do we think of our own fan attitude?)

How would you describe our general fan mentality?
Hmm. Mostly calm waters... 

Do you agree with the following statements?:

1. Robert says fans of the band are "generally very passionate" and "all beautiful and clever."
Yes.

2. Simon notes fans often "feel a bit alienated".
No.

3. Many people are convinced most Cure fans are not that good in sports.
I do believe a majority is, including me.  :oops:

4. Psychoanalyst Catherine Lavaillant stated in the MTV icon show in 2004 that the Cure "helps [fans]
with their adolescent issues".
Yes.

5. We are all fairly obsessed with our very favorite band.
Only a minority is 'obsessed'.

What else is there that you're convinced we all share?
Charisma.

The Cure Music

What's the best part about the Cure's music?
The hidden one - their gloominess.

The Band Persona and Image

Do you also care about Robert Smith as a person?
see reply #6

Would you say Robert's character is similar to your own?
see reply #6

Do you care mostly about the music or is the cure image as important to you?
see reply #6

Do you imitate The Cure look yourself?
see reply #6

If Robert Smith left the band, would you still remain a fan? (Just wondering...)
Hard to imagine that The Cure will continue without him. That doesn't work.

Has Robert Smith or another band member sometimes been like an invisible friend to you?
Yes.

Do you have a favorite band member?
Actually two: Robert and Lol.

TRWASDOC

@ MeltingMan
Quote from: MeltingMan on February 21, 2018, 10:22:00

To be honest, I have a problem with words like 'alienated' and 'obsessed'.
They imply a negative touch and I'm quite sure that Simon has been wrong
cited. He said outsiders and that's true. -

Hey, he did say "alienated", in fact he stated that in that MTV icon show 2004. I can search for the link and give it to you, if you´d like.
Now that you mention it, perhaps "obsessed" does sound too negative... I get your point. But I guess I prefer seeing it in a rather funny manner, you know? Like the "Cure fans are all beautiful and clever" statement of Robert´s.

TRWASDOC

Quote from: MeltingMan on February 20, 2018, 21:08:10

@TRWASDOC
Someone asked for your conclusions at a later time. That's OK,
but I think you should answer the major questions as well, shouldn't you?

Alright, alright ;-) If you care. Here they are:

-> HOW AND WHEN DID YOU GET TO KNOW THE CURE?
My favorite singer at the time mentioned The Cure as one of his own favorite bands back in 2014 and I became curious and searched for The Cure on youtube... to find out they are much "better" than him!

→ WHEN AND BECAUSE OF WHAT DID YOU TURN INTO A FAN?
I was impressed right away by the guitars in Friday, that's why I wanted more... I considered Bob's voice so weird... Next song I got to know was Burn, I was absolutely astonished at the feel of  the song, plus it was so different...  But I think what really got me was the third song I heard, Pictures Of You, I just loved the melody... It's never boring listening to The Cure and in fact I should be listing all 270 or so reasons I'm a fan for every song that I know.
The Cure and especially Robert are DIFFERENT. I love that as much as I love RS's voice. I love the fact that you can't put them into boxes because I'm like that myself.

→ WHAT OTHER HOBBIES DO YOU HAVE?
Songwriting, playing the guitar/keyboard, singing, writing (I publish my lyrics on twitter @ www.twitter.com/AlwaysDeparture if anyone here cares) and reading, astrology, ethics, watching interviews with Robert Smith and, lately, Joe Strummer, and drawing—oh, and, SADLY, studying for school subjects I dont't like too much because I'd rather spend more time read the newspaper

→ DO YOU DO SPORTS? DO YOU DANCE?
Can't do sports—health problems with the eyes and the leg. Can't tell if I dance. A month ago I'd have said I didn't, but I've been moving around a lot when I sing and play the guitar.

→ HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF?
Original and unique, creative, crazed, passionate, brave, punky, worshipping solidarity, socially critical, curious and enjoying to pull a show/entertain
→ HOW OLD ARE YOU?
Sixteen
-> WHAT KINDS OF CLOTHES DO YOU LIKE TO WEAR?
I always wear black pants. My T-shirts are usually red or green and I wear a black pullover/hoodie most of the time, or a blue one. Nothing I wear is tight—always lose-fitting. Oh, and I always wear this gray jacket.
→ Are you "depressed"?
I used to be, but the fact that I loved RS's voice got me over that.
→ Do you do any music yourself?
Yeah—guitar, keys, singing
→ Are you married?
I'm only 16. (No.)
→ Do you have or want kids?
Probably not.

→ DO YOU AGREE WITH THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS?
1. Robert says fans of the band are "generally very passionate" and "all beautiful and clever."
They seem to me...
2. Simon notes fans often "feel a bit alienated"
[That's what I'm most curious about finding out, but I tend to think that die-hard Cure fans do, but not 'regular', alias "I do like them, they're alright, I listen to them  every once in a while" fans.. But I really don't know yet!]
3. Many people are convinced most Cure fans are not that good in sports
Actually, for most people I've asked on other pages (TCC  and facebook), this is true. But I haven't asked too many, only 17 yet!
4. Psychoanalyst Catherine Lavaillant stated in the MTV icon show in 2004 that the Cure "helps [fans] with their adolescent issues"
This seems to shallow. Perhaps they do help with general issues, but I think it's a little embarrassing to say The Cure would "help teenagers with adolescent issues." The Cure are much MORE than that! Never underestimate someone who's called Robert Smith or Simon Gallup!
5. We are all fairly obsessed with our very favorite band
I am, too

→ WHAT´S THE BEST PART ABOUT THE CURE´s MUSIC?
The guitar playing and singing of Robert's! The diversity, authencity, attitude...

→ DO YOU ALSO CARE ABOUT ROBERT SMITH AS A PERSON?
Absolutely. I've watched every interview viewable online and have read two books on The Cure.

-> DO YOU CARE MOSTLY ABOUT THE MUSIC OR IS THE CURE IMAGE AS IMPORTANT TO YOU?
The image is really funny, isn't it. People tend to consider TC weird because of it. But I love the music. What I like about the image is the fact that it strengthens the "do NOT put me into your tiny little box!" thingy. But that is not that important in my eyes. Though people actually look at me funnily when I tell them I'm a fan of the Cure because they don't even know the public persona, only see a few pictures and think Robert is an emo.
→ DO YOU IMITATE THE CURE LOOK YOURSELF?
I don't. I've worn various layers of untight black/gray clothing before I got to know The Cure.

TRWASDOC

Quote from: PearlThompsonsBloodflowers on February 20, 2018, 06:11:21
I forgot to awnser to the are u married question oops.

I am not married but me n my girl Mary plan to get married in the future.  :oops: :oops:

Wait, u named your daughter Mary before or after you got to know about The Cure?

TRWASDOC

Thanks a lot, folks! Your answers did help a lot. Hey, how many answers would you think I need to make a halfways reliable survey? I have "only" seventeen yet, but I hope I´ll find more people still. I´ll try it on another fansite, too, later.
Perhaps the final outcome will be there really is no typical fan at all, or perhaps there´ll be something like, I don´t know, 85% of all people I asked wear black most of the time. We´ll see... I´ll let you know!

TRWASDOC

Oh, and most people, I think perhaps 85 per cent, said one of their hobbies was reading. I guess Cure fans tend to be intellectual...

MeltingMan

Quote from: TRWASDOC on February 25, 2018, 16:29:47
What I like about the image is the fact that it strengthens the "do NOT put me into your tiny little box!" thingy.

Me too and thank you.  :lol:

Quote from: TRWASDOCI'm only 16.

What? I feel a bit ashamed.  :oops:

TRWASDOC

Quote from: MeltingMan on February 25, 2018, 17:03:45
What I like about the image is the fact that it strengthens the "do NOT put me into your tiny little box!" thingy.

Me too and thank you.  :lol:

Quote from: TRWASDOCI'm only 16.

What? I feel a bit ashamed.  :oops:

Hey, why are you ashamed ;-) ?

MeltingMan

Quote from: TRWASDOC on February 25, 2018, 17:38:45

...because I have misjudged your writing style. It sounds adult - almost professional.
PTB is very young as well but his/her style is different.

dsanchez

Quote from: TRWASDOC on February 25, 2018, 16:40:35
Thanks a lot, folks! Your answers did help a lot. Hey, how many answers would you think I need to make a halfways reliable survey? I have "only" seventeen yet

IMO the best would be to create a survey using e.g. Google Docs https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-do-i-create-a-free-online-survey-using-google-documents

is more user friendly and many questions are just yes/no so is easier for someone to answer. You can then share the link to the form here or anywhere else.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

A Strange Girl

Though people actually look at me funnily when I tell them I'm a fan of the Cure because they don't even know the public persona, only see a few pictures and think Robert is an emo.

:smth011 Terrible! And do emos still exist?  :-D
...I think you come from another world...

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

Quote from: TRWASDOC on February 25, 2018, 16:30:54
Quote from: PearlThompsonsBloodflowers on February 20, 2018, 06:11:21
I forgot to awnser to the are u married question oops.

I am not married but me n my girl Mary plan to get married in the future.  :oops: :oops:

Wait, u named your daughter Mary before or after you got to know about The Cure?

Uh dood wtf?? MY GIRLFRIENDS name is Mary. I'm 16 n I don't have kids, n me n Mary don't want kids. Lmao no I'm NOT talking about Mary Poole btw. I swear to god my girlfriends name is really Mary, no joke. Her name is in my signature 💞💞

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

Quote from: MeltingMan on February 25, 2018, 17:59:36
Quote from: TRWASDOC on February 25, 2018, 17:38:45

...because I have misjudged your writing style. It sounds adult - almost professional.
PTB is very young as well but his/her style is different.

I'm a girl n I prefer to be called Pearlee 💞💞