Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Pushkina

Hehe, The Cure are universal
Those who try to please All please None

rdruiz8

Hey, it's true. "About a girl" and "M" have the same chords during the verse. Hahaha, I never noticed that. :lol:
i'm running out of time i'm out of step and
closing down

lostflower4

Quote from: rdruiz8Hey, it's true. "About a girl" and "M" have the same chords during the verse.

Close, but not quite. "About A Girl" is Em / G, while "M" is Em / C. Still similar though. But these chords are used all the time in popular music ? I don't think Kurt ripped this one off.

The others... There is an eerie similiarity! Mabye it's true. But all artists have "borrowed" from other artists, to varying degrees.

I still love Nirvana. They were one of the first bands I really liked growing up. Music was so much better in the early '90s! Remember the summer of '92 when you couldn't watch MTV for an hour without seeing The Cure? Ah, how I long for the "old days".

Interesting topic!  :D

wickedchild

Remember that The Cure have been accused of ripping off New Order's songs such as Blue Monday for The Walk...  :-D

Beesley Wytchboy

Quote from: wickedchildRemember that The Cure have been accused of ripping off New Order's songs such as Blue Monday for The Walk...  :-D

I dont see it, But i think Blue Monday suck anyway.

Come Back Ian we miss u! There doing bloody dance music now! Save Us Ian!

Luke x :P
You're Walking a thin line between here and out of control

minervobowie

yeah kurt cobain and nirvana sucks...

With love...Minervo B.

TheExplodingBoy

I just don't get who's got nothing better to do with their time than put up a site strictly about something that they hate.

iggy.pop

I think everybody is litening to music, espacially musicians. They herad something and this something will be on a new song, maybe in another way.

I ermember Keith Richards telling that sometimes, he play a song, a country song, a Bob Dylon one, or another one, a after that, the song varying to a new song, a Keith Richards song.

I think that every musicians do that. So, if 'About a Girl', is inspired by 'M', it's maybe because Kurt Cobain was listening to Cure at this time.

bananafish17

New Order "This Time Of Night" = The Cure's "A Forest"
"Inbetween Days" = Any New Order song
"A Strange Day" = Some song on New Order's "Movement" (forgot title)
The Primitives "Crash" = New Order's "Temptation"
Ride's "Seagull" = The Beatles' "Taxman"
New Order (some song on "Technique") = The Cure's "Just Like Heaven"
Oasis's "Don't Look Back In Anger" = John Lennon's "Imagine"
etc and so on....
and all the other voices say,
change your mind, your always wrong...

carliofandango

Is it just me or has anyone noticed that the intro to Smells Like Teen Spirit is almost an identical riff as used in the chorus of The Pixies track U-Mass..??
It can't rain all the time....

rjl

The most amusing (recent) "similarity" I've found between song A and song B is "Just Like Heaven" and "Hot N Cold" (Katy Perry).

Different key, but same progression.

lostflower4

Quote from: rjl on January 13, 2010, 07:24:23
The most amusing (recent) "similarity" I've found between song A and song B is "Just Like Heaven" and "Hot N Cold" (Katy Perry).

Different key, but same progression.

I just checked it out:

Katy Perry - Hot N Cold (Official Music Video)

:smth011

I am aware that chord progressions/sequences are recycled endlessly in modern music, but this just seems like a blatant ripoff of The Cure. I mean like a really, really bad and uninspired cover version.  :twisted:

And what's with all these weird effects they put on the vocals nowadays?  What are they trying to hide there?  :oops:

jbud1980

Quote from: lostflower4 on July 13, 2005, 09:28:49
Quote from: rdruiz8Hey, it's true. "About a girl" and "M" have the same chords during the verse.

Close, but not quite. "About A Girl" is Em / G, while "M" is Em / C. Still similar though. But these chords are used all the time in popular music ? I don't think Kurt ripped this one off.

The others... There is an eerie similiarity! Mabye it's true. But all artists have "borrowed" from other artists, to varying degrees.

I still love Nirvana. They were one of the first bands I really liked growing up. Music was so much better in the early '90s! Remember the summer of '92 when you couldn't watch MTV for an hour without seeing The Cure? Ah, how I long for the "old days".

Interesting topic!  :D

true, lost flower, similar, but not the same. didn't killing joke claim nirvana's "come as you are" is a rip off of one of their songs?

i never really liked nirvana, mainly because i sort of missed the whole grunge era (was 13 when he died) and didn't fully understand the message behind the music. also, i think it might be innate, but to me, the more popular something is, the less palatable it is.

lostflower4

Quote from: jbud1980 on January 20, 2010, 15:51:25true, lost flower, similar, but not the same. didn't killing joke claim nirvana's "come as you are" is a rip off of one of their songs?

i never really liked nirvana, mainly because i sort of missed the whole grunge era (was 13 when he died) and didn't fully understand the message behind the music. also, i think it might be innate, but to me, the more popular something is, the less palatable it is.

Yeah, there's definitely some similarity in the Killing Joke/Nirvana thing, but I absolutely can't stand the current teenybopper pop like Katy Perry, so this seems much worse. Well, I still think it's much worse anyway.  :lol:

I actually became a Nirvana fan when I was 12, and I was 14 when Kurt died. I still remember the day it happened quite vividly.

Anyway, I think many people are unaware that Nirvana really wasn't super mega popular (at least compared to many other artists at the time) until after Kurt died and all the press coverage that followed.

Then, it became "cool" to become a fan, and Nirvana's popularity really skyrocketed to epic proportions. Typical bandwagon stuff. I'm just glad I knew them before all that. It was a nice two years, I guess.  :?