Sleep when I'm dead

Started by revolt, July 04, 2008, 10:55:28

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

sad to say it but this release sounds simply godawful. for the first time ever i am really wondering whether i'm not even going to buy the album when it comes out, if it sounds like this. :x
even if/when the cd version is better than itunes shit it's still shit, sound wise.
i'm appalled, really.

(i'm afraid robert must be deaf or something, i don't know how else to explain it IF he's been in charge of something here. if not, then universal is really screwing him big time.
all the more reason that they should have gone for some small label instead.)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

and what also annoys me big time is that the official site is so crappy and so unupdated these days, so there's not even ways to send any feedback of this over there. i mean thers hould be, because this is bloody outrageous. if there only even was a simple forum over there (like other band sites often have), it could be possible to try and bring these things into discussion. but no, of course there is no outlet for anythig. it almost makes me think whether robert actually wants to keep the official site as it is (=utter mess, totally useless, zoolike atmosphere) so that no organized conversation about anything could ever even spring up? so that people can do nothign else than rant by themselves, out there somewhere and they can just keep pushing this kind of crap stuff down the fans throat? or maybe robert thinks all his fans are deaf too (in case it's true that he is)?
in any case: jesus.

[labyrinth]

revolt

I finally got to hear the whole of the new 'Sleep When I'm Dead' single. Thanks You Tube for that. I also took the oportunity to listen to all the B-sides from the new singles...

So, what can I say? 'Loudness-war' problems aside, the main problem with all these new Cure songs is the allarming lack of real hooks. Although the general sound of them is different than 'Wild Mood Swings', with a rockier approach and all, as far as quality and memorability goes, we're pretty much in the same field as 'Mint Car' and the like. Truly DISAPPOINTING stuff.

Now, that said, 'Sleep When I'm Dead' is the best of these 6 new songs. Courtesy of a beautiful intro, that they unfortunately can't live up to in the rest of the song, because they go the wrong way about it (again, I would say that a 'In Between Days'-kind of arrangement would suit this song much better). Still, they don't ruin the song totally, so in the end it can be said that the song retains SOME of its potential 'greatness'. But it could easily be better...

B-Flower

Thank you for the video, Labyrinth!

about songs: The studio version of Sleep When I'm Dead is really strange and very different from the live one... SWID live is more raw, powerful and edgy, it's my third favourite of the new songs (after A Boy I never knew & Underneath the Stars), the studio version is more dreamy, with many interesting sounds... It took me a little to get used to it, but now I love them both, I dare say!  :smth023

Down Under is a wonderful mix of KM KM KM and Wild Mood Swings  :smth020 But it's not a potential album track like NY Trip and AKOS, it is a B-SIDE, but there's nothing wrong about it, it's still lovely piece of music!
How time will heal, make me forget?!
YOU PROMISED ME!!!

japanesebaby

Quote from: [labyrinth] on July 14, 2008, 13:58:28
this is an exclusive by curefans.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO2Qwi2HS8o

thanks for the link [labyrinth]  :smth023

well, i find this song to be the weakest of all so far (not just because of the sound, as i didn't even like it live - no hooks, not enough ideas for a song).
i sitll don't get it why they want to make exactly similar videos for all songs (making a video is a task so if one bothers to make a video, one could just as well put a bit more effort into it(?). anyway, i suppose they have their resons...).
anyway, trying to find the positive sides here.. at least robert's face is less sweaty than on those previous videos  - thank god someone remembered to bring some matte powder to the studio this time. :-P

Rec-Level

b sides aren't what they used to be, where is the this-morning type of song?

sues777

Thanks very much [labyrinth]  :smth023
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

revolt

Quote from: Rec-Level on July 14, 2008, 14:40:54

Well, I still haven't heard 'This Morning', but in general I think that the quality of B-sides is really going downhill with these new releases...

Hey, let's compare it with 'Wild Mood Swings', which is considered by many fans (not all, I know) as the worst Cure phase... The B-sides to the first single from that album ('The 13th') were:

- It Used to Be Me
- Adonais
- Ocean

All three are much better than any of the current B-sides, and in particular 'Adonais' and 'Ocean' are even of album-quality, I think. And even if the 'Mint car' single was overall weaker, there was still 'Waiting', a good sort-of-dreamy pop song that is clearly of B-side quality but which easily beats any of the new B-sides (the other 2 WMS singles didn't have proper songs as B-sides, only mixes/remixes, so I'll omit them).

revolt

Quote from: [labyrinth] on July 14, 2008, 13:58:28
this is an exclusive by curefans.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO2Qwi2HS8o

The You Tube version I had checked before was not this one, it was not even a real video, just a photo sequence to go with the studio take of the song... Thanks for the link, it's nice to watch the real video, even though this is really just the sort of lip-sync-fake-playing thing they did previously with 'The Only One' and 'Freakshow'. Nothing new here...

... except: Robert is not wearing lipstick on the video! Could it be that the announced change of look has already began?  :-D

Freakshow

:D Thanks a lot for the video clip :D
Show me how you do that trick...

firecrasher

Oh no, in the past hour or so the video was removed due to copyright violation and I didn't get a chance to see it :(

Is it posted anywhere else?
[i]so this is permanence... love's shattered pride...[/i]

Bloodflower

Quote from: revolt on July 14, 2008, 15:32:33
Quote from: Rec-Level on July 14, 2008, 14:40:54

Well, I still haven't heard 'This Morning', but in general I think that the quality of B-sides is really going downhill with these new releases...

Hey, let's compare it with 'Wild Mood Swings', which is considered by many fans (not all, I know) as the worst Cure phase... The B-sides to the first single from that album ('The 13th') were:

- It Used to Be Me
- Adonais
- Ocean

All three are much better than any of the current B-sides, and in particular 'Adonais' and 'Ocean' are even of album-quality, I think. And even if the 'Mint car' single was overall weaker, there was still 'Waiting', a good sort-of-dreamy pop song that is clearly of B-side quality but which easily beats any of the new B-sides (the other 2 WMS singles didn't have proper songs as B-sides, only mixes/remixes, so I'll omit them).

This Morning was an exceptional and extraordinary circumstance -- it would be like if they decided to put Underneath the Stars as the b-side to The Perfect Boy. It's a song that, by rights, should have been on the album, but for whatever reason wasn't; there is a b-side 'feel' to songs like NY Trip, Why Can't I Be Me?, et cetera; it doesn't mean they're bad songs, per se, but This Morning was an album track that ended up on a single.

As for WMS b-sides -- again, it's a different situation; that was an album that should have been a double, had been planned as a double, but which ultimately ended up a single, without a follow-up album [which distinguishes it from the current situation]. Album tracks, like Adonais and It Used to be Me got dumped onto singles because there wasn't another album to build. Robert would seem to be serious about The Dark Christmas album, so he's not dumping album tracks on b-sides; he's saving them for the next album.

Of course, all of this will make more sense in hindsight....

As for my distinguished colleagues and their problems with the new songs, I don't see it; I think they sound great. They certainly don't make me consider such outside thoughts as to not buy the new album in September. I'm as great a supporter of hyperbole as the next, but....

Maybe I should feel lucky? I'm able to love the new single.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

rubcure

Quote from: firecrasher on July 14, 2008, 18:33:55
Oh no, in the past hour or so the video was removed due to copyright violation and I didn't get a chance to see it :(

Is it posted anywhere else?

:( No longer available!!  :( whyyyy?  copyright? but the same Robert recommended Youtube... ouch!!!  :smth011 Booooh!! Universal Booooh!!  :smth011
[center][size=10pt][font=arial][color=black]"...and the way the rain comes down hard is how i feel inside..."[/color][/font][/size][/center]

Bloodflower

I get the feeling the two heads of the Cure monster -- Robert and the label -- don't communicate very well. Robert endorsing the videos being put up on YouTube is meaningless if the other head doesn't know not to bite.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.