Jason Cooper - A study of his style

Started by DrumStudy, August 08, 2008, 05:16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is your favourite The Cure drummer?

Ulrich

The holy city breathed like a dying man...

patitodark

Quote from: dsanchez on July 10, 2023, 11:38:54Is that real? This is what was played at the actual Festival 2012 Tour...

I don't know really... the drumfills and playing style sounds like Jason to me though, turning "Just like heaven" into "Just like hell"  :lol:

Matti

Oh come on - why on earth should a recording studio open a YT channel without any further info and upload a single video that serves as a Jason Cooper hater honeypot (see the comments)?
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

Ulrich

Jason has played on JLH from 1995 up to 2011, so WHY should he change the drum patterns in a rehearsal in 2012? dscanchez already posted a video of how he played it live that year!!

Quote from: Matti on July 12, 2023, 21:15:17Oh come on - why on earth should a recording studio open a YT channel without any further info ...
Exactly. It's quite clearly a fake and it's infuriating how some people are unable (or unwilling) to notice this! :pouting-face

patitodark

Here is J in action playing for a drumathon a couple of years ago to raise funds for mental health. Fast forward the following video to 2:25 IMO, it sounds almost like in the first video.

Ulrich

I am not registered at yt, but if anyone of you is, you might wanna report that fake vid.

Quote from: patitodark on July 13, 2023, 20:43:16Fast forward the following video to 2:25 IMO, it sounds almost like in the first video.

Does not sound like it to my ears.
So, what is your point...? Did you think the "fake" rehearsal video was made with this drum track?

patitodark

Quote from: Ulrich on July 14, 2023, 10:00:25So, what is your point...? Did you think the "fake" rehearsal video was made with this drum track?

No. I said that it sounds 'almost like'. I never said it sounds 'the same'.
So, anyway I don't know if it is fake or not but the way the drummer is playing in the first video, sounds the way Jason usually plays JLH live (specially in the bridge part of the song, from 2:25 onwards).

Ulrich

What exactly is your point? What about current live videos (the band just played a looong tour in'22 and '23)? Can't you analyse those? You only seem to post in this topic. Why? Are you a professional drum expert or just an amateur (like most of us)?

Quote from: patitodark on July 19, 2023, 06:59:06No. I said that it sounds 'almost like'. I never said it sounds 'the same'.
So, anyway I don't know if it is fake or not but the way the drummer is playing in the first video, sounds the way Jason usually plays JLH live (specially in the bridge part of the song, from 2:25 onwards).

Several people incl. the Admin have pointed out that Jason did not play JLH like it sounds in that alleged "rehearsal" video! You never replied to our questions "why" should he change it for one rehearsal in 2012?  :?

patitodark

Quote from: Ulrich on July 19, 2023, 08:42:33You never replied to our questions "why" should he change it for a rehearsal in 2012?  :?

I didn't know the question was aimed to me but anyway I don't know the answer to your question (why would I?!!!). The video description implies that Jason wanted to try new ideas for the song and I know no further than that. Maybe you could find out more information by contacting the uploader.

Ulrich

If you read the posts, they are clearly aimed at you ("oh come on...")!

Quote from: patitodark on July 19, 2023, 09:03:23... implies that Jason wanted to try new ideas for the song and I know no further than that.

Does not sound credible to me (as already pointed out he'd played it literally for years at that point in time).

The only reason to contact the uploader would be to ask him to prove that he works at the rehearsal studio (and if he can't, one should ask him to take down that fake vid)!

dsanchez

Quote from: patitodark on July 19, 2023, 06:59:06
Quote from: Ulrich on July 14, 2023, 10:00:25So, what is your point...? Did you think the "fake" rehearsal video was made with this drum track?

No. I said that it sounds 'almost like'. I never said it sounds 'the same'.

I think Jason was adding these bits back in 2008, I highlighted that here. But the fact is that today, 2023, Jason is sticking to the essence of The Cure IMO and playing pretty well, so no complaints from my side.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on July 19, 2023, 17:22:23the fact is that today, 2023, Jason is sticking to the essence of The Cure IMO and playing pretty well

Yeah, I admit I don't understand why someone comes up with (alleged) 2012 rehearsals, when we have lots of new(er) videos from the current tour '22 & '23! (And that person seems to know only one topic in this forum...)  :disappointed: