Robert Smith: "The Cure will release a new album soon"

Started by dsanchez, February 15, 2020, 14:57:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

Apparently the band's "press release" for the tour 2022 talks about the new album (no title, no release date yet):

Quote from: undefinedFans will be treated to a 135 minute show, with mention in a press release of a "67 minute" new album that is yet to be announced.

In a tweet to fans, Smith also confirmed that shows in the rest of the world were being "finalised" and would "announced in due course" – as well as promising to air material from the new album.
https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-cure-announce-uk-and-european-tour-for-2022-3111944
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Ulrich

My desire to listen to a new Cure album is overwhelming too...

QuoteThe band just announced that they've added a third night at London's SSE Arena at Wembley in December, and those concerts wrap up their fall European/UK tour. Updated dates are listed below.

With that news, Robert went on Twitter with his caps lock on to address some questions fans around the world are wondering. "YES, WE WILL BE PLAYING A LOT OF OTHER SHOWS IN PLACES THAT ARE NOT EUROPE... BUT THERE DOESN'T SEEM MUCH POINT ANNOUNCING ANY MORE THAN THAT UNTIL WE ANNOUNCE ACTUAL DATES... WHICH WILL BE VERY SOON."

And then on the subject of new music, he tweeted, "WE WILL BE PERFORMING SONGS FROM A NEW ALBUM WHEN WE NEXT PLAY... OR WE WON'T BE PLAYING AT ALL! AND I REALLY WANT TO PLAY... SO THAT MEANS..." and then finally "...IT MEANS MY DESIRE TO RELEASE A NEW ALBUM IS OVERWHELMING! X"
https://www.brooklynvegan.com/the-cures-robert-smith-my-desire-to-release-a-new-album-is-overwhelming/

dsanchez

QuoteSo I've been working on two Cure albums, and one of them is finished," Smith told NME. "Unfortunately, it's the second one that's finished. [On the other] I've got to do four vocals, and there are 10 songs on each album. We're mixing next month on April 1, so I've got three weeks left.

He continued: "I know what it's called – it's called 'Songs Of The Lost World'. It's got artwork, it's got a running order, it's almost done! They're so slow because of vinyl, but it might come in September. I'd rather it just came out. I can't stand the anticipation.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-cure-robert-smith-interview-new-album-solo-songs-of-the-lost-world-3173769
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

And another "update" on the new album:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-cure-new-album-songs-of-a-lost-world-interview-update-relentless-tour-3229589

QuoteHaving long teased the band's long-awaited "merciless" new record – after telling us that two new albums were on the way back at the last NME Awards back in 2020 – Smith revealed to NME earlier this year that one of them would be "real very soon" and would be called 'Songs Of A Lost World'.

Then today (Thursday May 19), after he and bandmate and songwriting partner Simon Gallup picked up the Icon Award at the Ivor Novellos, Smith again gave reassurance that the album was on the way and would be out before their upcoming winter tour.

"We will be releasing a new album," Smith told NME. "I get fed up of saying this now! We will be playing from October and the new album will be out before then. We walked on [stage at the Ivors today] to a bit of new music, actually. Hopefully no one recorded it!"

"Reeves [Gabrels] our guitar player has come over from America for the day just to finish a couple of solos, I've got to finish a couple of vocals," he revealed. "Essentially it's a 12 track album. It's there, it's kind of half-mixed and half-finished. It's a weird thing. It's kind of evolved over the last two years. It hasn't always been a good thing to have been left alone with it. You pick at it, like picking at seams, and everything falls apart.

Smith continued: "It'll be worth the wait. I think it's the best thing we've done, but then I would say that. I'm not doing an Oasis when I say that, 'IT'S THE BEST FOOKIN' ALBUM'. A lot of the songs are difficult to sing, and that's why it's taken me a while."

Discussing the themes and character of the long-awaited follow-up to 2008's '4:13 Dream', Smith said that the album "doesn't have very much light on it" and that it sounds "more like 'Disintegration' than 'Head On The Door'."

"It's pretty relentless, which will appeal to the hardcore of our audience, but I don't think we'll be getting any Number One singles off it or anything like that!" he laughed. "It's been quite harrowing, like it has for everyone else.

"I've been more privileged than most, but lockdown and COVID has affected me in as much as I've lost an entire generation of aunts and uncles in under a year. It's things like that which have informed the way I've been with the record."

Smith added: "Essentially we recorded two albums in 2019. I've been trying to finish two at the same time, which is pretty much impossible. One is nearly ready to go."
As for the mysterious second record that they've been working on, Smith said Cure fans would likely have to wait a little longer to hear that.

"While there are a handful of really good songs, I've kind of fallen out of love with others so we're going to have to record another four or five perhaps," he said. "If it gets finished, it's very upbeat. It's the flip-side to the first one.
"I can't wait to sing it, actually. I feel quite distraught singing the same songs over and over again."

Asked if the gigs will be their legendary usual three hours plus in length, he replied: "Not if my band has anything to do with it! It will be slightly shorter than in the past, if I'm honest. It will be about two and a quarter hours, I think. That's short!

"There will be a smattering of new stuff as we play through. Essentially the strength of the band live is the catalogue and the songs that we've got so it would be pretty dumb to play an hour of new music. Although some people would prefer us to do that!"

Smith added: "The size of the venues we're playing, you need to engage everyone in the venue. You can't just concentrate on the handful of people down the front. If it happens it'll be great...that's if Europe exists by the time we start..."

I wanna add: hopefully someone recorded that piece of new music they walked out to... ;)

Rietan

Ulrich

Thanks for sharing this yt link with a little bit of new music (sounds a little bit like "Pictures of you" to me)!  :smth023

figurehead

actually it reminds of Underneath The Stars , i think
'Is It Always Like This?'

pyota

Now I'm cautiously optimistic for the new album. I can't be the only one who was worried it was going to be more 4:13 dream style stuff ...

Ulrich

dsanchez

High expectations of the new album after hearing these live in Riga.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Ulrich

About the "new" song performed for the first time on May 23rd:

https://www.spin.com/2023/05/the-cure-another-happy-birthday/

QuoteThe Cure has already debuted a host of material expected to appear on its in-progress first album in 15 years, and last night (May 23) at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, the Robert Smith-led group unveiled another new song with roots that go back more than 25 years.

"Another Happy Birthday" is known to have existed in demo form by 1997, when it was described by Smith in an MTV interview as "unlike anything the Cure have done before. It's not a verse-chorus-verse type of song, but more fluid," but it has never been officially released. An instrumental demo of the song has been floating around on YouTube for years.

The version performed last night is imbued with Smith's characteristically melancholy lyrics, such as "Pour myself another glass / turn off all the lights/ and sit for a while / aching alone / waiting in the dark for you." It's unknown whether "Another Happy Birthday" is earmarked for Songs of the Lost World, which has no release date.

Rietan

Ulrich

This is "only" about 2 new t-shirts (benefitting UNHCR), but note they do mention the "UPCOMING ALBUM"!

QuoteTWO NEW T-SHIRTS BENEFITTING UNHCR   
"REMEMBER ME TONIGHT" PART OF THE LYRIC TO 'AND NOTHING IS FOREVER' THE SECOND SONG OF THE UPCOMING 'SONGS OF A LOST WORLD' ALBUM. ORDER AT HTTPS://lnk.to/REMEMBERMETONIGHT
https://www.facebook.com/thecure/

(They even give away that it'll be the 2nd song on it.)