I miss Roger

Started by chipdandy, January 27, 2009, 08:41:56

Previous topic - Next topic

chipdandy

Just felt like saying that.

He was such an awesome member & certain songs will never be the same without him...

lostflower4

I'll admit that I'm starting to miss a lot of songs that involved keyboards/used to have keyboards. So perhaps I'd be open to Roger re-joining the band, but ONLY if he signed some sort of "no tambourines on stage" contract.  :lol:

I probably sound bitter as much as I harp on about this — but I seriously think those "Mint Car moments" were an utter embarrassment to band, especially considering how many of them were broadcast on TV.  :oops:

That said, I'm sure The Cure would have no problem finding another equally talented live keyboardist if they really wanted too...

j

Funny you said that Caley, because I was thinking the same thing when I saw the title of this thread.  I had an image of Roger shaking the tambourine in Robert's face.

But, man I miss the keys.  Sure it was coll to see/hear what Porl can do to replace the keys, but some things are not the same.  How can they ever do Same Deep Water without keys?

Descent

They rehearsed The Same Deep Water As You a while back. I haven't heard it but I suspect they used some back up for the keyboards parts. Otherwise that would sound like another tune (which could be interesting, who knows).

mint car

[i]...sleep sweet child the moon will change your mind...[/i]

rodney

What I don't miss is his weird organ sounding keyboard parts on the verses during Play For Today.  Yuck.

takaros72

I MISS ROGER TOO.....ALWAYS MISSING.
WITHOUT HIM IT'S NEVER THE SAME......

IT'S JUST MY OPINION

japanesebaby

having keyboards would probably be a benefit as the band might very well start playing a wider selection of songs.
then again, i don't miss roger as a person/his personal playing style. i always felt he didn't fit in the band somehow that way. 'bloodflowers' is the only album that has a bit more extensive/demanding keyboard parts that for instance someone with more restricted skills (like perry) wouldn't be able to play. otherwise the most cure songs have very simple keyboard parts.

for one thing i think people should give roger some credit and which often goes unnoticed are his very good timings. i think robert also mentioned this in some interview (rather long ago, i think). he said something like he likes roger's playing because roger always plays everything in exactly the right time, spot on. you don't need to "wait" for him. and if you've ever played with anyone in any sort of band, you know there's hardly anything more annoying than playing with someone who's always slightly falling behind. it can drive you mad and make everything fall apart. at least that's my personal experience over a long time.
(and perhaps i tend to pay attention to this more than people in general do, just because keyboards are my instrument. anyway, it's there.)

so, if you compare for instance roger and perry you can actually notice that very often perry was indeed coming in slightly late. you don't always notice this (because i think it depends on what keyboard sound he was using, the song that was being played. but especially with some certain kind of keyboard sounds there's a small delay, a tiny bit of time taken between the pressing of the key and the sound actually being heard in full. and an accomplished keyboard player knows this and therefore can choose to play everything almost like a tiny bit in advance - just very very very little, but it's there for sure. an accomplished player can estimate that delay - roger surely was able to do that (unless he was drunk or something, like sometimes in 1998...).
an unaccomplished keyboardist (like perry) was clearly unable to estimate this tiny delay - or, he was simply often coming in too late anyway, regardless of the delay or whatever. as much as i like listening to many swing tour shows in every other respect, i've often found myself annoyed by perry's playing, his more or less constant dragging behind.
anyway, roger was usually very sharp with timings and i like that in his playing.
then again, i've also always felt that 'bloodflowers' has "too mcuh" roger in it, stylistically. some of the keyboard parts are "un-cureish" because of that. that's not to say 'bloodflowers' was somehow bad, to me it's just quite different from any other cure album. any more of that and it would have influenced the band almost a bit too much, made it into some often band...
that's why i really liked the band going back to the basics, leaving out the keyboards. because the classic cure keyboards need to be very basic ones.
there can be lush soundscapes like 'disintegration', just as long as the parts themselves are kept quite basic. so roger's style was a bit too improvisational, perhaps. he was either a bit too confined in the cure's stylistic context, or, if his style got more room in that context then it started to take the band into some territory that wasn't quite their own.
(btw with that said, for some reason 'homesick' is one of few songs with "improvisational" keyboards which i still find very cure-ish. anyway that's another story.)

with that said, i still don't miss roger in particular. the cure could always find some other fine keyboardist, someone professional. so it doesn't have to be roger vs. perry.
and i certainly do not miss those damn embarrassing tambourine moments one tiny bit. it was nothing but clown-ish.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine