Hypnagogic States (the september EP)

Started by [labyrinth], July 24, 2008, 18:19:51

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

Quote from: melly on September 15, 2008, 12:02:40
Why tear the guy apart on a Cure forum?

Because I got some joy out of it.  And it's not like I got any from that remix. 

lostflower4

after reading some of the above vitriolic comments re Jared leto, I thought to myself,"This guy must be a real bastard, a rotten person". I have never heard of him, (probably an age thing on my behalf) so, I "googled" him, and the band he is in. Okay, not my taste in music, but that's nothing. Why do some people detest him so much? Is it just because of his music, or he was an actor, or has he done something really vile, like bash a woman or hurt a kid?  The kind of lip curling sneers directed at this guy is pretty harsh, if it's just because you don't like his music. Don't listen to it.  Why tear the guy apart on a Cure forum? I don't like his remix, so I don't listen to it. You know, life can be simpler by being a little more accepting of others.
:smth011

I have to say that I don't get it either. I have a friend who is a big fan of 30 Seconds To Mars, so I've been familiar with their stuff for a while.

Ok... I can see that a lot of people don't like emo music, and I can't say I'm a big fan either. But they are NOT an emo band, so all this bashing seems really senseless to me!  :smth017

I really wonder if anyone here has actually listened to their music?  And I agree, what did this guy ever do to make everyone so angry?  :?

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on September 15, 2008, 21:05:55
after reading some of the above vitriolic comments re Jared leto, I thought to myself,"This guy must be a real bastard, a rotten person". I have never heard of him, (probably an age thing on my behalf) so, I "googled" him, and the band he is in. Okay, not my taste in music, but that's nothing. Why do some people detest him so much? Is it just because of his music, or he was an actor, or has he done something really vile, like bash a woman or hurt a kid?  The kind of lip curling sneers directed at this guy is pretty harsh, if it's just because you don't like his music. Don't listen to it.  Why tear the guy apart on a Cure forum? I don't like his remix, so I don't listen to it. You know, life can be simpler by being a little more accepting of others.

I have to say that I don't get it either. I have a friend who is a big fan of 30 Seconds To Mars, so I've been familiar with their stuff for a while.

Ok... I can see that a lot of people don't like emo music, and I can't say I'm a big fan either. But they are NOT an emo band, so all this bashing seems really senseless to me!  :smth017

I really wonder if anyone here has actually listened to their music?  And I agree, what did this guy ever do to make everyone so angry?  :?

yes i've actually heard enough of their music. i simply can't stand mr leto's so-called "singing": the way he tend to shout all their choruses. perhaps i should give him some credit for actually being a decent actor, because he can somehow act his way through being a singer. i'm just fed up with that kind of acting, sorry, for me it's just so completely pointless. and all their music is the same. pompous, filled with some enormous faked "feeling" all through. just totally hollow and uninteresting.
and the pompousness of their videos makes it even more laughable:

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=HxNAVq2qYmU

or you can try any other youtube link i suppose.

and good for you if you like it. sorry if i don't and sorry if i also say it - or have a little bit of fun about it sometimes.
what's the big deal anyway? we shouldn't hurt some multi-millionaire's feelings? boohoo, poor little jared. :lol:
come on.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

KingOfSomeIsland

Hmm listening to it right now. As for my first impressions:

The Only One (30 Seconds to Mars Mix) is alright. Its really all over the place in the beginning and alot of it seems out of place but it pulls together in the end. The backing vocals are a nice touch. I'd give it a C+. Wouldve been higher if it werent for the first 2 minutes or so.

Freakshow (Wolves at the Gate Mix by Jared Leto) is a just a fun dance mix and nothing more. C

Sleep When I'm Dead (Julien K/Gerard Way Mix) is really dry... and not catchy at all. D

The Perfect Boy (Stump/Wentz Remix) isnt bad at all. I commend these guys for not deciding to just do another lame dance mix like the last two tracks. Instead they add a catchy guitar lick and some keyboards. Nothing spectacular but its still good. And I was thinking this could only end in pain of the worst sort. B

Exploding Head Syndrome (65 Days of Static Remix Medely). Why this isnt split into 4 tracks is confusing to me. Sure they segue into one another but theyre not actually connected. Still they put the other guys on this EP to shame. Great stuff here very mellow electronic stuff that builds up and comes down. For reference:
0:00 - 4:03 is The Only One (A-)
4:04 - 9:32 is Freakshow (B+)
9:33 - 16:06 is Sleep When I'm Dead (A)
16:07 - 21:26 is The Perfect Boy (A-)
All in all that makes for a solid A-. Only thing wrong with these is making them ONE FRIGGIN TRACK!!!  :twisted:

Overall they shouldve just released the 65 Days of Static stuff as one 4 track EP and called the the Exploding Head Syndrome EP. And just for the record Ive never actually heard anything by 65DoS so its not like Im just being a fanboy here. Ive heard all of the others except Julian K though. 30StM are bland and boring, AFI are okay but repeditive, MCR is good on their last album, okay on their 2nd, and terrible on their first, and FOB are either really catchy or really annoying or both depending on the situation.

japanesebaby

back to the EP itself, having listened to it by now:
ironically, the remix i enjoyed the most was the latter half of the mr "sing with a feeling" leto remix. the first half of it is dreadful but the latter half has some potential. too bad it's so fragmented.
all the rest of it are just very generic and although i'm not extremely annoyed by it, i find myself wondering why exactly it had to be made. there's already so much stuff like this out there already. this is stuff you hear on radio every day and which passes you by without leaving a trace.
i don't really hear anything EBM-ish on the freakshow remix. it might be something if it was EBM-ish but it's not. quite generic style imo.
'the perfect boy' obviously tries to be "close to me '08" remix or something with it's clever-ish beats, but it's a bit too self-conscious.
anyway, this is all something that you listen to once and then you find yourself listening to something else. because something else is simply much more interesting.

but this exploding syndrome thing: seriously, it just sounds like someone wanted to make fun on the band. what a dreadfully bad joke. :? possibly the most awful thing that was ever released under the cure's name? seriously. that completely aimless piano pling-plong stuff during the first minutes almost made me quit listening to it completely. i actually ahd to pause for a while, to get myself together, but the continuation proved to be just as dreadful. just plain dreadful, sorry.

(but at least the production sounds better than with the singles. hopefully that'll continue on the album...)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 15, 2008, 21:32:09
Quote from: lostflower4 on September 15, 2008, 21:05:55

yes i've actually heard enough of their music. i simply can't stand mr leto's so-called "singing": the way he tend to shout all their choruses. perhaps i should give him some credit for actually being a decent actor, because he can somehow act his way through being a singer. i'm just fed up with that kind of acting, sorry, for me it's just so completely pointless. and all their music is the same. pompous, filled with some enormous faked "feeling" all through. just totally hollow and uninteresting.
and the pompousness of their videos makes it even more laughable:

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=HxNAVq2qYmU

or you can try any other youtube link i suppose.

and good for you if you like it. sorry if i don't and sorry if i also say it - or have a little bit of fun about it sometimes.
what's the big deal anyway? we shouldn't hurt some multi-millionaire's feelings? boohoo, poor little jared. :lol:
come on.

Well, you've obviously heard a lot more of their music than I have. That's curious in and of itself :lol:, but ok then...

Maybe I've heard only heard the ok stuff, I don't know. And I never said I was in love with their music. Personally, it's kind of "blah" for me. I just didn't really understand the extreme bashing of Mr. Leto or other artists in general, because when an artist produces/remixes something outside of their own material, it's often completely different anyway. So I never saw the big deal about all these "bad bands" working on the EP.

However, it did turn out to be complete shit in the end. However, I'll blame Robert. He obviously gave it his stamp of approval.  :roll:

"The Only One" really needs to be buried and forgotten about. Yet I have the feeling it's going to be a standard in their live setlists for many years to come.  :smth100

nausearockpig

"The Only One" is the new "The End Of The World". early live versions of that sucked balls, now not so bad, but still it's no Open...

melly

never said I liked the aforementioned bands' music, actually I said it wasn't my taste at all, which really means nothing. Mind you, I only listened to 3 of their songs on their website, but it didn't appeal to me personally. Obviously, there are a couple of people here that are very familiar with the music, but why listen to it if you don't like it? Strange... And to read that someone gets pleasure out of ripping this guy apart well sorry,I find that rather odd.. Whilst "everyone is entitled to their opinion" as we have been reminded so many times, I still don't think it is necessary to publicly lambast this guy. He has remixed one song. One song from the hundreds of Cure songs. Sure, it's not fabulous, but that is open to each individuals interpretation or personal taste. But, I can see this is going to go round and around in circles; just wanted to clear up that I didn't particularly like Letos' music,( what I heard anyway) but obviously, going by their web site, thousands do.
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

tigermilk

The EP is nothing spectacular but we didn't think it would be. I do agree it should have only been the 65days of static remixes.

At the moment I'm just listening to 'Please Come Home', a demo from the self titled album, it's a lovely track :smth020

carycameron

I haven't yet heard the re-mixes so i'm not going to comment...

but interestingly a newspaper here in Vancouver, Canada  has rated the EP  3 1/2 out of 4 stars:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/arts/story.html?id=be66c588-d665-4c7f-a747-9c3042741bbd

Lostflowerboy

Was anybody already able to get it's hand on the second 15DOS remix of "the only one"?

nausearockpig

iTunes Australia has it if you buy the whole "album" for $6.99....and it comes with an electronic booklet too...

nausearockpig

i just bought it. will listen to it tonight.. sure it will be great.. the booklet is a pdf of the album artwork...

figurehead

I just downloaded it from i-Tunes.
So while i'm listening to it for the first time .
The 'Exploding Head Syndrome' by 65 dos is good enough,for my ears at least.
All the other 4 singles from all those bands that i have never ever heard a song till now aren't so bad.I don't really know who wanted them for the remixes & i don't really care to be honest.'The Only One' (bonus version from 65 dos) is good.But maybe they shouldn't use Robert's voice too much.
I don't think that i will listen  this e.p. too many times for the rest of my life.I just bought it cause it is THE CURE name upon it.& i'm a fan of them all over the years.So till next month i can still be dreaming...
'Is It Always Like This?'

Ulrich

Quote from: figurehead on September 25, 2008, 02:22:05I don't think that i will listen  this e.p. too many times for the rest of my life.I just bought it cause it is THE CURE name upon it.

I can't help but agreeing with this!!  :lol:

Actually I gotta admit I really enjoyed my first listening to this EP! I'm really not a big fan of remixes of any kind (and I never enjoyed the Mixed Up album much). But this time, after listening to the original 4 singles over the summer, it was kinda exciting to listen to new (remixed) versions of these songs for the first time. Of course, as usual with remixes, some are a bit dodgy (too techno "dance-y" for my taste), but it was fun to listen to.
Then again, as I said above, I'm not sure if I will play it very often.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...