what means "The Big Hand"?

Started by dsanchez, October 05, 2005, 23:58:24

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

what this songs talks about?
what does means the title?
if I do a translation of the title "hand" is something like "leg" or "arm" but I dont think Robert means it in this way..

any inputs? :smt017

David.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

arielcc

reminds me of this love song video, when robert looks his "big hand"!!!

ariel

here in peru we used to call that song "MANOTAS"

ron

From the Join The Dots liner notes Robert says its about the "perils of drug additiction".  Knowing this, read the lyrics or listen to the song and you will totally see that it is true.  The Big Hand is the addiction itself.

splitmilk34

I agree with Ron... the lyrics are quite pretty good evidence to what the songs about
"... sleeping less every night"

dsanchez

Thanks folks for the help. Now is pretty clear "The Big Hand" = "The big help" = "The drug". Right?

Altought I think the melodies would fit better in a "love song", don't you think?

Cheers :rocker

David.

Quote from: ronFrom the Join The Dots liner notes Robert says its about the "perils of drug additiction".  Knowing this, read the lyrics or listen to the song and you will totally see that it is true.  The Big Hand is the addiction itself.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

j

My impressions based on knowing that it is about drug addiction is that imagine that you are a puppet, being controlled by a huge hand above you.  That "big hand" controls everything that you do.

ron

On a similar topic to this.  Where does the instumental version come from?  I know it's played in Picture Show but the version of this I have is very short.  I might just be missing something though.  Does anyone know for sure???

dsanchez

That's quite an interesting question. The instrumental version of THE BIG HAND is played at the end of the "Picture show" video...but I am not sure this version is available...

Quote from: ronOn a similar topic to this.  Where does the instumental version come from?  I know it's played in Picture Show but the version of this I have is very short.  I might just be missing something though.  Does anyone know for sure???
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Quote from: ronOn a similar topic to this.  Where does the instumental version come from?  I know it's played in Picture Show but the version of this I have is very short.  I might just be missing something though.  Does anyone know for sure???

I always assumed this was a demo version. There is a longer version that can be found on file sharing networks, but I think somebody just cleverly looped the Picture Show version over and over.

splitmilk34

I used to have the "longer" version, but I do believe it was looped.  The Cure rely heavily on repitition, but the "longer" version of The Big Hand didn't seem to go anywhere, if memory serves me correctly.

splitmilk34

Cancel that... I just remembered that it wasn't The Big Hand I had that was looped, it was the instrumental part of the Lullaby remix.  Sorry.

Beesley Wytchboy

Quote from: dsanchezThanks folks for the help. Now is pretty clear "The Big Hand" = "The big help" = "The drug". Right?

Altought I think the melodies would fit better in a "love song", don't you think?

Cheers :rocker

David.

Quote from: ronFrom the Join The Dots liner notes Robert says its about the "perils of drug additiction".  Knowing this, read the lyrics or listen to the song and you will totally see that it is true.  The Big Hand is the addiction itself.

I think it is a love song but a love song to drugs and self destruction.
As someone who has had self desructive tendencies i can assure you you do cling to your vice like a lover at times and it keeps you wrm at night like a lover, gives you something to look forward to like a lover and makes attaches to you like a lover.
It is similar to hostages that fall in love with their kidnappers because the pain and dgredation is all they know after a time and realtiy scares them

Luke x
You're Walking a thin line between here and out of control

nausearockpig

drugs.
it's all about how the need for getting wasted takes away the need or the fact things like friends, memories and dreams disappear.

the lines below really emphasise this:
"But the way the big hand smiles
You just won't care about it"

i was going to put more bits in but realised that i would have to add all the lyrics in.....  :wink:

anyway here it is again for all of us [hope i haven't breached copyright or other legal things]....

The Big Hand

The big hand makes all of your favourite things
Like all your dreams go small
And all your friends run away
Until your memories fail
And the words don't fit
But the way the big hand smiles
You just won't care about it

The big hand makes all of your favourite things
Like all your days run out
And all your hopes disappear
And your smiles just stop
And your eyes go dead
And the shadows start to crawl
In the back of your head

But when the big hand speaks
It's like fireworks and heaven
So you listen
Don't think
And wish for nothing at all
And when the big hand sings
It's like fireworks and friends
Leaving alone I'm not
Leaving alone
Leaving alone I'll never
Leave alone again

So when the big hand holds up all your favourite things
And with a touch like glass
Starts to squeeze
You don't ask
"Why me?"
You just slip to the floor
Just slip to your knees

But when the big hand speaks
It's like fireworks and heaven
So you listen
Don't think
And wish for nothing at all
And when the big hand sings
It's like fireworks and friends
Leaving alone I'm not
Leaving alone
Never leaving alone
Leaving alone I'm not
Leaving alone
Leaving alone
I'm not leaving alone again

minervobowie

drugsss..yeah...i want metadona

www.vanidadesonline.tk
With love...Minervo B.

kirill

the big hand instrumental can be found on 'bloodflower's dreams bootleg.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XK1515A5
but only this track(