lostflower4 may be offline for some time

Started by lostflower4, January 21, 2010, 03:19:02

Previous topic - Next topic

lostflower4

Well, I had a split-second power outage this morning, and now my computer won't turn back on. Yes, I do have surge protection, and I'm sure it works, so I'm puzzled.  :?

Actually, the computer does turn on, but just barely. The power light is very dim (like it's severely undervolted), but then nothing happens. The fans won't even turn on, which is really odd. So I'm really thinking that some hardware must not be functioning correctly. Maybe the power supply went bad?  If anyone has any tips, they would be most welcome.  ;)

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that I may not be online much for a while. Sure, I have ways to still get on the internet, but in all reality I think this would be a good time for me to kind of take a break from computers and focus on some other things in life.

So to anyone wondering where I may be, that's the story. I may periodically check my e-mail, but I think I'm going to take it easy here for a while. And well, I need to figure out what's wrong here in the first place. I'm just guessing it will involve ordering some new parts, which will take at least a few days in itself.

Until then...

nausearockpig

i think that the power outage was a result of a magical lightning strike which actually split you in two. hence the two posts about the same topic. the problem LF4Red and LF4Blue don't know each other exists....

If someone can get the Red and Blue reference they get a prize

I'm doing it two er... i mean too...

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Quote from: dsanchez on January 21, 2010, 20:00:58
HTH

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?threadID=150926

:smth023
Thanks, turns out it was my power supply after all.

However, it wasn't quite that simple... After getting a new power supply the computer worked well for about an hour and then started getting glitchy. The system would randomly freeze, and then after rebooting it would hang up while loading into Windows, and then after that it wouldn't even go into BIOS.  :roll:

Having no clue what was wrong (it could have been anything), I had the system tested again and the motherboard had gone bad too. Seems that last power outage really did something awful. But I think I'm just lucky that more stuff wasn't damaged, like the CPU and hard drives.

Fortunately, I was able to find a new motherboard just like my old one, so it was a "simple" matter of taking the computer completely apart and putting everything back the way it was on a new board. Well, it works great now... And it's really kind of like I have a new computer.  :D

Anyway, I really need to invest in a battery backup soon as these can prevent a lot of the damage caused by power problems!

By the way, I highly recommend the power supply I just got. Extremely powerful and efficient, makes no noise at all, and has modular cabling. Yeah, I'm a nerd.  :oops:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088&Tpk=seasonic%20650