2008.06.03 San Diego - Cox Arena (USA)

Started by dsanchez, June 22, 2007, 06:16:16

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Mainset:

Plainsong, Prayers For Rain, A Night Like This, The Walk, The End Of The World, Lovesong, To Wish Impossible Things, Pictures Of You, Lullaby, Fascination Street, From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea, The Perfect Boy, Hot Hot Hot, The Only One, The Blood, Sleep When I'm Dead, Push, Inbetween Days, Just Like Heaven, Primary, Shake Dog Shake, The Baby Screams, One Hundred Years, Disintegration

E1:

Boys Don't Cry, Jumping Someone Else's Train, Grinding Halt, 10:15 Saturday Night, Killing An Arab

E2:

Lovecats, Let's Go To Bed, Freak Show, Close To Me, Why Can't I Be You?

E3:

Play For today, A Forest

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Plainsong

Does anyone who's going to this show have good advice about hotels in the area?

crowbi_wan

mwla0201

An important question...seeing as this venue is on the San Diego State University campus does that mean there is no beer sales inside?  Also, anybody know of local pubs within walking distance of the arena for before / after show  festivities?   :smth100 

jbud1980

Quote from: mwla0201 on May 28, 2008, 16:46:12
An important question...seeing as this venue is on the San Diego State University campus does that mean there is no beer sales inside?  Also, anybody know of local pubs within walking distance of the arena for before / after show  festivities?   :smth100 

Lol, no beer on a party school's campus? Oh, believe me, you will be able to buy beer inside the venue, and perhaps if u r lucky, u might be able to scam some off a loaded professor...i did.  :shock:

...watch out for the homeless, they are vicious down there.

Bloodflower

Yeah, I doubt getting beer will be an issue.

Finding someplace to stand not infested with drunks might be, though.

And as for the homeless -- don't bother them, they won't bother you.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

mwla0201

Thanks for the info, I've heard that SDSU is a party school with a great atmosphere but NCAA rules have banned alcohol sales at sanctioned events so hopefully that is just athletic events and not concerts.  It's getting close, can't wait! :smth023 

jbud1980

Quote from: Bloodflower on May 29, 2008, 03:37:41
Yeah, I doubt getting beer will be an issue.

Finding someplace to stand not infested with drunks might be, though.

And as for the homeless -- don't bother them, they won't bother you.

Funny, I used to believe that until venturing down there quite often, but I guess it is just my luck. A homeless man saw me buying a water and crackers at a liquor store, and when I came out, he asked for change. I said no (needed the quarters for laundry) and he went on this rampage about seeing me receive change from the clerk. This happened two other times as well.  :evil:

...anyway, I am trying to get off work early (around 4) to make the show, and will be commuting from Irvine, and my friend is picking me up, so I will change on the way there.  8) Thank god his lifted truck has a limo tint.

ratm

Does anybody of you know what happened with the boy I ever knew?

Why isnĀ“t in the setlists anymore??

did you like the new songs??

How do they sound?? rocker??

crowbi_wan

:shock:

How often does Robert throw a mic into the crowd? 

Fun show, great crowd tonight.  Robert was having a good time on stage.  During Fascination Street, I was holding up my "HOLY HOUR" sign.  He noticed, made some funny faces at me for a bit, then sort of shrugged, and gave me a maybe sort of look.  I brought the sign back out during the pop encore and made sure Robert saw it again.  At the start of Close To Me, he stood directly in front of me and tossed his mic right at me.  Well, I was holding the sign and didn't react fast enough to catch it.  It fell to the ground, got kicked a bit, and a guy two seats over ended up with it.  Not that I wanted to sing a duet of C2M with Robert, but it was pretty funny.  After A forest, he did his side to side walk like he does to close a show, stopped in front of me and gave me a pouty, sort of I'm sorry look.  This whole sequence of events really made my night and was a nice way to end my run of shows.  I'd have rather heard The Holy Hour, but I'll take some interaction with Robert during a show.   8)

A bit about the show.  GREAT to get Baby Screams!  I was wondering if songs from The Shrine would begin to filter into the sets now.  Looks like one has.  Let's hope for more.  Before the show even started we all knew The Blood was going on tonight.  Pretty obvious since Robert's nylon acoustic was being tuned and setup on stage.  After Sleep When I'm Dead, Robert mentioned it being the first time they played it.  After a few seconds of laughing from the band he added that at least it felt like the first time.  Needless to say it wasn't the best version.  Not sure why, but for some reason the vocals on disintegration seemed to have a little something extra.  I don't know, I just felt something during that one.  Maybe being so close, the last night.  Whatever it was I just really enjoyed hearing that one close the set. 

So it's over for me.  The last two weeks have been wonderful.  9 shows, meeting some forum members, seeing several of the same people at different shows, making new friends, hanging out with 65dos (who are cool as f#ck), meeting Simon, not meeting Porl today because I didn't recognize him in a normal car without tinted windows, much chatting with The Cure's sound engineer (Anthony), the venues and sites, continental breakfasts, and so much more.  Good times.  I miss them already.

btw, after much chatting with Anthony, I may as well say the rumor that he told me.  Start saving your pennies for traveling.  The 30th anniversary is right around the corner  ;) 

Ah, I'm sure people are wondering why they haven't been playing A Boy I Never Knew.  I got this info second hand (from a guy that one the Amnesty auction for Santa Barbara and asked Robert about it).  Robert said something about technical difficulties and that they'd have them worked out soon...maybe in nine more shows.  So, hopefully it will return to the set in a few more days.  And about the song itself.  It's a combination of two stories/ideas.  One is a child lost (miscarriage?).  The other is simply having no child.                

j

Sorry that your run is over, BC.  All good things come to an end, I guess.  Now get back to work, you bum!

I'll be starting a run of 6 shows in 15 days.  3 shows in 4 days, then 7 days off, then another 3 shows in 4 days run.  Hopefully I'll have as much enjoyment as you've had.

boneheadhaggar

thanks for all the updates and gosip crowbi_wan, glad you had such a great time over the last couple of weeks :smth023
its nice to be nice

punx_chix

wow crowbi... I'm extremely jealous right now, wish robert would throw a microphone at me!

Quote from: crowbi_wan on June 04, 2008, 10:07:29

btw, after much chatting with Anthony, I may as well say the rumor that he told me.  Start saving your pennies for traveling.  The 30th anniversary is right around the corner  ;)

I started saving the first day I got back from cali!  :smth023
...and i run around hysterical
in dead persistent gloom...

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on June 04, 2008, 10:07:29
Start saving your pennies for traveling.  The 30th anniversary is right around the corner  ;)

hmm, but what if they'll just embark on a massive "hits" tour and play 'boys don't cry?' and 'just like heaven' all night? just because it's an anniversary tour and people want to hear their greatest hits... (fear of ghosts...?)
they'd better do an undercover club tour camouflaged as "four imaginary boys" or something like that!
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine