Sleep when I'm dead

Started by revolt, July 04, 2008, 10:55:28

Previous topic - Next topic

revolt

Well, I just went to the official site and checked the snippet from 'Sleep When I'm Dead'...

... and I have to say that I'm very pleasantly surprised! That's actually a beautiful piece of Cure music, with haunting keyboards (!?), great Robert vocals and all. The thing is, it's only a small bit, kind of intro-like, on a never-ending loop. Will the song as a whole fulfil this promise? If so, this could very well be their best single since 'A Letter to Elise'. Maybe the fact that it is a rework of a 1985 lost song has something to do with it...

The main reason I'm really suprised is because I have previously checked a live version of this song and thought it was nothing special...

Trust...

Below the lyrics (nearly) of Sleep when I'm Dead I found this on COF thanks to COF  :smth023

Sleep When I'm Dead lyrics...nearly

Sleep When I'm Dead (MSG/Fuse version)

Sleep when I'm dead, you angels
I'll sleep when I'm dead, I said
Well until then...

Told me I could run the world
If I kept it clean
Told me I could be the chosen one
If I took one for the team
And it's the only way to be
Never think it isn't fair
It's a green-eyed panic (pride?)
To the edge of nowhere

Give it to the chick
And see if it ticks
Give it to the (kid?)
See if it sticks
Give it to the wonderful, wonderful me
I'll let you know on my return just how it is
with all the other boys and girls

The whole f*cking other world
The way they grew to (be?)
???????????????????????

Told me I could run the world
If I kept it quiet
They said I could be the man
If I took it out of sight
So in a monkey suit of (?)
Having fun with all your friends
How a casual ????????
All this world to pieces

Give it to the (bunny? bonnie?)
And see if she kicks
Give it to the (?)
See if it sticks
Give it to the wonderful, wonderful me
I'll let you know when I return on how it is
with all the other boys and girls

The whole f*cking other world
The way they feel inside
The why they never make it (by?)
The way they are inside
The why I never take the time
The way they are inside
The why I never act surprised
Yeah, just how it is

I'll sleep when I'm dead
Well until then...

I may as well be tired, I think
Before I lay me down to dream
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

Trust...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrhvZdbpnm8

This should be the link to Youtube with a version of Sleep when I'm dead from Fuse, A good version should I say.
I nearly can't wait to hear this song in the studio version  :-D

revolt

Quote from: Trust... on July 04, 2008, 12:40:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrhvZdbpnm8

This should be the link to Youtube with a version of Sleep when I'm dead from Fuse, A good version should I say.
I nearly can't wait to hear this song in the studio version  :-D

Better sound quality than the live version I heard before... maybe because of that, I also like it better. Still "better" doesn't mean "great". The intro as played live has no magic - where's the great keyboards? Even Robert's voice doesn't sound as good. So, for the moment, I am still not convinced - I will have to wait for a full studio version to make a more definitive opinion.

mahood

"The whole f*cking other world"

thanks for the lyrics.
i just cannot believe it : they censored the word on fuse ! i didn't understand why there was that sound at these 2 moments, and, well,
it's just so FSSSSH lame.
what's the next step ? FSSSHing all of one hundred years because it's too negative ? shiver & shake because it's too agressive ? faith because it's too desperate ?
this world is getting more and more stupid every day.

as for the song itself, the snippet on thecure.com is the best teaser ever ! i don't know why they didn't release it as the first single, but commercial strategies have never been my thing, anyway.
signs, flowers, weapons and balloons

rodney

Um, yeah, you can't say that word on broadcast TV in the US.  Pay cable networks like HBO and such are different, but Fuse is a commercial network.  No way you can say that.

mahood

Quote from: rodney on July 04, 2008, 19:35:04
Um, yeah, you can't say that word on broadcast TV in the US.  Pay cable networks like HBO and such are different, but Fuse is a commercial network.  No way you can say that.

well, i knew the word is blipped while talking, but in a song ? this is moral to the point of absurdity.
what happens with other music then ? is it blipped, or FSSSHHed too ? or just not broadcast ?
signs, flowers, weapons and balloons

rodney

thecupcakegeisha

I really like the music, but the lyrics leave me wishing for more.

thecupcakegeisha

lostflower4

Quote from: mahood on July 04, 2008, 20:09:49
Quote from: rodney on July 04, 2008, 19:35:04

well, i knew the word is blipped while talking, but in a song ? this is moral to the point of absurdity.
what happens with other music then ? is it blipped, or FSSSHHed too ? or just not broadcast ?

I never quite understood the rules. Isn't Comedy Central a "commercial network" like Fuse?

Because I know there was that one episode of South Park where they didn't bleep out any of the F-bombs.

And there have been times where it was allowed on completely regular (non-cable) TV:

http://www.allbusiness.com/services/business-services-miscellaneous-business/4827459-1.html

Tszyu

Sorry, the Altnet Music Store is only available in the US only.

:(
The memories fade
And leave her eyes
Still seeing worlds that never were

Trust...

Trust...

Quote from: Tszyu on July 06, 2008, 11:46:05
Sorry, the Altnet Music Store is only available in the US only.

:(

I am also out of the US and I couldn't open the file  :cry: but after finding this on COF: For those outside of the US, just click the little speaker icon next to the song titles. (thanks to COF)!

Now I heard the samples, to short to say something, but happy that I could hear them. It's the cure!