This Twilight Garden (Greenhouse FX mix)

Started by zielwolf, December 30, 2021, 12:01:03

Previous topic - Next topic

zielwolf

For fans of "This Twilight Garden", this is a little known but officially commissioned 12" mix of the song, that only came put on a limited release compilation CD. Enjoy.

Ulrich

Thank you, indeed I am a fan of this b-side (one of their best)!

Info on yt says:
Quote from: undefinedExtended mix. Track 1 off "Ultra Hot Razor Series Disc 3" published 1992 by Art of Mix, cat. UHCD03. Remixed by John Pillin & Steve Smith.

With the help of that info, I found more about this disc:
https://www.discogs.com/de/release/2546244-Various-Ultra-Hot-Razor-Disc-3
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Matti

Hi there -
Quote from: zielwolf on December 30, 2021, 12:01:03this is a little known but officially commissioned 12" mix of the song
are you sure about this? Though I don't know much about those Art of Mix guys, I think I've only ever seen their work on unofficial releases of any band.

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, and I love that song, but to me the remix sounds more like someone looped a lot of sections from it just to make it longer, without any other editing to make it more interesting.
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

Pongo

Quote from: Matti on January 04, 2022, 20:08:32to me the remix sounds more like someone looped a lot of sections from it just to make it longer, without any other editing to make it more interesting.

I have to agree. It would be more appropriately named just 'Extended version'. I have come across this kind of 'remix' many times and always left me disappointed.

Must say this result is more interesting:

Ulrich

Quote from: Matti on January 04, 2022, 20:08:32I don't know much about those Art of Mix guys, I think I've only ever seen their work on unofficial releases of any band.

Well the entry on "discogs" talks about an "unofficial" release too.

Quote from: Matti on January 04, 2022, 20:08:32...to me the remix sounds more like someone looped a lot of sections from it just to make it longer, without any other editing to make it more interesting.

That's what I liked about it (I also like the "higher mix" of "High", btw). I'm not very fond of remixes in general (hence me never buying "Mixed up") and most of those I heard made the track "different" or more "dancefloor-compatible", but not necessarily more "interesting" to me (sorry).

Pongo

Quote from: Ulrich on January 05, 2022, 12:07:35That's what I liked about it (I also like the "higher mix" of "High", btw). I'm not very fond of remixes in general (hence me never buying "Mixed up") and most of those I heard made the track "different" or more "dancefloor-compatible", but not necessarily more "interesting" to me (sorry).

I used to enjoy the dance remixes when I was DJ-ing a bit in the late 80's - early 90's. Nowadays I don't care much for remixes at all. They can sometimes be a bit interesting to hear, but then maybe only once.

Given that, there are a few Cure mixes that I still enjoy, "High" being one of them. The version of "Lullaby" on "Mixed up" is another one.

What I think I would enjoy more are instrumental versions of some of the songs.

Ulrich

Quote from: Pongo on January 05, 2022, 14:23:02I used to enjoy the dance remixes when I was DJ-ing a bit in the late 80's - early 90's.

That I can understand! Being DJ, you listen more with "dancefloor" ears, of course. :)

Matti

@Ulrich : No need to apologize for anything you don't like ;-)

Discogs btw describes Art of Mix as a "DJ subscription remix service", so the commissioning mentioned in the original post might relate to DJs demanding longer versions of songs to keep their audiences on the floor - "People seem to like dancing to The Walk, can we have a 6+ minutes version pls?"

I have an ambivalent relationship with remixes - the old school I like a lot (Higher Mix is a perfect example), but the modern age style is not for me. There's a lengthy bit about remixes in general and Torn Down in particular sitting somewhere on my HDD, maybe someday...
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

Ulrich

Quote from: Matti on January 06, 2022, 13:47:04No need to apologize for anything you don't like ;-)

Well, I just wish I'd find most "remixes" more interesting!
(Because I know many people do, incl. Robert Smith.)

Quote from: Matti on January 06, 2022, 13:47:04... might relate to DJs demanding longer versions of songs to keep their audiences on the floor - "People seem to like dancing to The Walk, can we have a 6+ minutes version pls?"

I'm guessing that was how it all started with 12" mixes back in the day!

OptimaX

Would definitely be on the Deluxe edition of Wish if it was an official track.
- everyone is unique, except me -