Interview with Tom Oberheim and Marcus Ryle

Started by MeltingMan, September 06, 2023, 17:09:46

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingMan

I'm happy that Tom Oberheim is still active. Oberheim fans had to be patient for a long time. Instruments like the Xpander or the OBMx fascinated me then and now. No less interesting is the four-voice desktop version of the SEM (correct designation: SO4V), which was announced at the time but never went into production, which is understandable given that Tom has built everything by hand in small batches up until now.  :smth023

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

MeltingMan

I was once on the waiting list for the SO4V, but only because I insisted. After a few weeks, I gave up in frustration. I would have had the money, but it was clear that Tom wouldn't be able to deliver the number of pieces. He alone knows how much was actually sold. Since I already own an MC 1000, it would have been an ideal fit. I'm not a fan of endless knobs and displays. That may have been enough for everyday studio life in the 1990s. So now there has been this gap in my studio for a long time, which only an inexpensive monophonic modular system can fill, as long as the SO4V is not marketed better than other Oberheims with cult status. Do I have to name them separately? I think Marcus knows them all.  ;)
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)