Charlotte Sometimes (Remastered)

Started by crowbi_wan, October 03, 2006, 00:50:34

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

The remastered version of Charlotte Sometimes is available on a pretty cool box set from Rhino.  Lullaby is included on the DVD. 

http://www.rhino.com/gothicbox/

Or you can get it from Rhapsody. 

Cure

[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

Oso Blanco

Does it sound any better than the fucked up version that was on the "Deluxe" Edition?
Time is the fire in which we burn ...

Carnage Visor

Sorry about this old topic, I'm new here, but I was wondering what the difference is in the two versions...I honestly want to know.

Gothfiend

This is kind of off the subject, but I was surprised to know how much RS dislikes the video.  I always thought it was kinda neat, in a retro kind of way  :-D

GF

japanesebaby

Quote from: Gothfiend on July 23, 2007, 02:23:15
This is kind of off the subject, but I was surprised to know how much RS dislikes the video.  I always thought it was kinda neat, in a retro kind of way  :-D

GF

yes i guess it's off topic but anyway: i'm always SO surprised how many people name this video as one of their favorites.
i think that video is really one of the most embarrassing pieces of cure history! it's pretty much completely disastrous from the start and also so badly outdated that to me it simply cannot be watched today...  :oops: :oops: :oops:

no offense to anyone, of course - i just don't get it how people can watch it. when i see it any of it i just want to cover my head in shame and embarrassment....  :D

about the topic itself: it would be interesting to know if anyone has checked this version out? anyone?
i'd bet my money on it being the very same as on the deluxe edition but i'm just guessing...
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

Quote from: Oso Blanco on October 07, 2006, 15:42:36
Does it sound any better than the fucked up version that was on the "Deluxe" Edition?

I think this song is always going to sound a little off, no matter what. It probably has something to do with the way it was recorded. The snare drum is distorted, for example.

The remastered version does sound a bit different, though. A bit "drier", and one of the cymbals is almost removed from the mix. :?

So I'll say for the 1000th time... "Remasters" are usually just a ploy to get you to buy the same material twice â€" nothing more.

Gothfiend

Quote from: japanesebaby on July 23, 2007, 07:59:23
no offense to anyone, of course - i just don't get it how people can watch it. when i see it any of it i just want to cover my head in shame and embarrassment....  :D

None taken, conflicting opinions are good as well.  It just has its own particular charm with me I guess, always will  :D

Carnage Visor

Thats funny, because I liked the feel of the video, and thought the song is one of their best songs of that era, along with Hanging Garden. I also consider it their more "goth" feeling song...the kind of macabre setting along with their all around look in the video...I like it.

I don't know why Robert would be embarassed by that and not "Lullaby" or "Why Can't I be You?"
I even used a verse in the song as my signature!

japanesebaby

Quote from: Carnage Visor on July 27, 2007, 01:22:47
I don't know why Robert would be embarassed by that and not "Lullaby" or "Why Can't I be You?"
I even used a verse in the song as my signature!

but i think there's a clear difference: WCIBY? is deliberately silly so there's nothing to be embarrassed about, at least not in a similar manner. yet if they had done the same trying to look like they were serious about themselves (as they seem to appear in 'charlotte sometimes'), then it would have turned out to be embarrassing.

i'm not sure what would make 'lullaby' embarrassing?  :smth017
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Carnage Visor

Ugh...I don't need to explain myself...

I hate it. My favorite era and songs of The Cure are usually the bands' least favorite.