Cure sound on other people's songs

Started by Janko, January 23, 2007, 05:08:29

Previous topic - Next topic

rjl

Quote from: strange_day on April 06, 2007, 14:54:54
Sorry, had to get that out of my system, it bugs me when people start on The Cure Vs. New Order....

Just so you know, I was doing so VERY tongue-in-cheek.

It is funny how most of the Cure/N.O. nonsense comes from the N.O. side of the fence. Some die-hard fans... and Peter Hook (hence the photo). I mean, if you have to go so far as to drag your mother into a fight (she supposedly heard a Cure song on the radio, and thought it was a N.O. song, according to P.H.), you've pretty much got nothing. ;)

Frankly, I don't care, either way. I like the Cure loads better than N.O., but that won't stop me from listening to them from time to time. I mean, it's not like this is politics or street gangs...

strange_day

Quote from: rjl on April 06, 2007, 16:00:13
Sorry, had to get that out of my system, it bugs me when people start on The Cure Vs. New Order....

I mean, if you have to go so far as to drag your mother into a fight (she supposedly heard a Cure song on the radio, and thought it was a N.O. song, according to P.H.), you've pretty much got nothing. ;)

Hahaha, i didnt know that! I bet he was gutted, just goes to show though doesnt it?  ;)

I wasnt directing frustration at anyone in particular, except maybe New Order fans who tell me 'they did it first'.....which we all know isnt true.  8)

rjl

Quote from: strange_day on April 06, 2007, 17:28:56
I wasnt directing frustration at anyone in particular, except maybe New Order fans who tell me 'they did it first'.....which we all know isnt true.  8)

Try reading old N.O. usenet posts at groups.google.com. Just find the group (alt.music.new-order, I believe) and search for "Cure" within it. You'll end up with a list of similar songs... uh, I mean ones that the Cure ripped off! ;)

Silly.

splitmilk34

Yeah I know that you did it very tongue-in-cheek... I always think the "argument" is funny.  I'm not a huge NO fan myself (obviously you could tell that from my last post) but "Age of Consent" is f*cking great.
As far as live performances... The Cure are simply one of the best live bands EVER, regardless if you're a fan or not.
"... sleeping less every night"

Oneiros

Some months ago, I bought the album 'Public radio' of the Swedish band The Legends. Some tracks sounds like The Cure in the early 80's ('Seventeen seconds' - 'Faith' period), as 'Today', 'Hide away' or 'Air'. The bass lign of this song is so Cure ! Some words about this band  :
"In 2003 and 2004 The Legends received world wide recognition with the hyped debut ”Up against the Legends”. Now The Legends return with an album that is bound to take the world by surprise. ”Public Radio” echoes of the early 80’s and sounds futuristic at the same time. They mix influences from bands like New Order, Felt, Feelies and The Cure with their own pop aesthetics and turn it into something utterly wonderful and new".
Always keep a dark space in your heart

Janko

BUT IT WASNT ALL THAT "MEANSPIRITED"...

THE FEUD BETWEEN THE CURE, NEW ORDER AND THE SMITHS AND MORRISSEY AND SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES...

ITS JUST AN ELABORATE JOKE, ITS NOTHING "SERIOUS" BECAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY ALL FANS LIKE THE MUSIC OF THOSE BANDS!

IT WOULD BE RATHER UNBELIVABLE TO LIKE THE CURE AND NOT TO LIKE NEW ORDER OR MORRIESSEY OR...

ITS JUST THE "FRUSTRATIONS WITH LITTLE DIFFERENCES" 

:-D
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

japanesebaby

Quote from: Janko on April 07, 2007, 15:37:31
IT WOULD BE RATHER UNBELIVABLE TO LIKE THE CURE AND NOT TO LIKE NEW ORDER OR MORRIESSEY OR...

eh... i just can't stand morrissey... neither i never really liked new order that much - but let's talk about joy division and that's totally different. (with new order, i blame it mostly on b. sumner, i can't stand his squeeking that some people call "singing". he totally ruins everything that would be good in that band! : :?).
and to be totally honest, i never really was that huge siouxsie fan either. i definitely don't own all of their records, siouxsie rarely makes it to my turn-table/cd-player... 

and yet, i DO like to call myself a rather big cure fan...  :-D
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

splitmilk34

completely agree with japanese baby!
"... sleeping less every night"

rjl

Another in perfect agreement. Well, semi-perfect. I like some N.O., but I don't know if I'd consider myself a fan. One or two songs here and there... Can't say I'm a Morissey fan, and for the longest time couldn't stand the Smiths, either. However, I've softened a bit on that last part, as about half of "Meat Is Murder" isn't half bad... "What She Said", "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore", even "How Soon Is Now?" - which is weird, as it's omnipresence should have made me sick of it a long time ago.

I mean, I like a lot of stuff, but precious little (next to nil) of the artists that folks sometimes associate with the Cure / Cure-fans. I listen to a scattered mix of things.

Not to say that they're all bad. Just not my taste. No strong feelings this way or that, really.

Janko

INTERESTING...

I GUESS MY TASTE IS A BIT DIFFERENT, BECAUSE I LOVE ALL THAT BANDS AND HAVE ALL THIER STUFF IN MY COLLECTION (including SATB bootlegs)...

:rocker

MORRISSEY'S - "YOU ARE THE QUARRY" AND NEW ORDERS - "WAITING FOR THE SIRENS CALL" (BOTH IN 2004 I THINK) WERE MUSICALLY BY FAR BETTER THAN THE CURE'S "THE CURE"...

:smth023

I THINK THAT NEW ORDER AND MORRISSEY MATURED A BIT BETTER FOR NOW!

THE CURE STILL DOESNT HAVE NEW SOUND DEFINED...

AND ROBERT IS PRETTY DAMN CLOSE TO 50...

:-D :-D :-D

rjl

Quote from: Janko on April 08, 2007, 18:34:08
AND ROBERT IS PRETTY DAMN CLOSE TO 50...

Saw Iggy last night, and he'll be 60 (!!!) in 2 weeks. Could have fooled me! I mean, he's no kid, but he's certainly no old man.

He shares a birthday with Robert, I believe...

Robert is looking a bit rough these days, I agree...

Steve

Funny that. That is exactly what it says on their myspace pagehttp://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=27565962

Check out the guitar line on He Knows The Sun (drum line taken directly off 17 seconds)
Is this how Inbetween Days or Just Like Heaven would have sounded all those years ago?? :roll:

The rest of it (well, all of it) is a bit feeble though. Sort of sugary synth pop & the vocal style sound familiar, but I can't quite place it :?
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

Janko

I LOVE IGGY POP

HE ALWAYS LOOKS THE SAME

G R E A T !

:smth023

I SAW HIM WITH STOOGES IN 2004
I'M JUST ABOUT TO BUY "WEIRDNESS" AND I LOVE THE REVIEWS!

ALSO...

:-D

SOME MISH FAN I AM...

:oops:

I TOTALLY FORGOT THAT THEY HAVE "BUTTERFLY ON THE WHEEL" FROM 'CARVED IN SAND' THAT SOUNDS REALLY "CUREALIKE"!!!

GO WAYNE!!!

THE MISSION HAS A BRAND NEW ALBUM IN LATE APRIL!!!

:rocker :rocker :rocker

rjl

I can't say that I really liked "The Weirdness", but the couple of newer songs that they played off of that, and the Stooges reunion tracks from Skull Ring sounded way better live. The highlight for me was that they played nearly all of Fun House, with the original sax player joining them.

Pretty cool stuff.

He also invited everyone onstage for "No Fun", and security freaked. They could hold off one or two people, but not sixty (at least). I was too far back to make it up there.  :(

Janko

Quote from: rjl on April 11, 2007, 16:45:18

He also invited everyone onstage for "No Fun", and security freaked. They could hold off one or two people, but not sixty (at least). I was too far back to make it up there.  :(

HE DID THAT IN 2004 AND IT WAS GREAT!!!
ABOUT 50-70 PEOPLE GOT ON STAGE AND THEY JUST JUMPED AND STARTED TO UNDRESS AN TO THROW THEIR CLOTHES ON THE CROWD...
IT WAS UNFORGETABLE!
I WAS JUST TOO SOBER TO GO FOR IT...

AND AS I HEARD HE DOES THAT ON EVERY GIG POSSIBLE...