Equipment to tape a concert

Started by dsanchez, March 05, 2007, 16:44:18

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

lostflower4

Yeah, the iRiver is a more ecomical option if you can find it.

One must keep in mind, however, that hard disk players will save you money in the long run since you don't have to keep buying blank media for them. Either they'll have a hard drive built-in, or you can just get a high-capacity flash card.

Plus the fact that you don't have to do any tape flips, etc. makes it an easy choice for me.

j

I use the M-Audio Microtrack.  And I tried the mp3 player trick at a Down concert in Dublin last year.  The security bought that argument, but not that the battery box was a charger for the mp3 player.  He told me "check" it at the coat check room.  I went down the steps and made the left to the coat check room, his for a second so that if he looked, it looked like I went there, then made a run for the floor.  The rest, they say, is history....

crowbi_wan

Quote from: Steve on May 03, 2007, 08:01:29
Quote from: crowbi_wan on April 24, 2007, 02:33:43
Quote from: lostflower4 on April 23, 2007, 21:09:33

One must keep in mind, however, that hard disk players will save you money in the long run since you don't have to keep buying blank media for them. Either they'll have a hard drive built-in, or you can just get a high-capacity flash card.

Plus the fact that you don't have to do any tape flips, etc. makes it an easy choice for me.

Also, these smaller digital recording devices don't necessarily look like recording devices. If you're trying to sneak one in to a venue and get caught during a pat down, just tell them it's your mp3 player. 

So how do you explain the microphones then? :roll:

I use Sonic Studios DSM-6S which look similar to earbuds.  Two times I've had to show my gear and both times security let me pass without question.   

lostflower4

What's the link to that page where the guy reviews a whole bunch of different mics?

crowbi_wan

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 05, 2007, 06:11:54
What's the link to that page where the guy reviews a whole bunch of different mics?

:smth024 http://www.nickspicks.com/reviews.htm

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on May 04, 2007, 02:25:15
Quote from: Steve on May 03, 2007, 08:01:29
Quote from: crowbi_wan on April 24, 2007, 02:33:43
Quote from: lostflower4 on April 23, 2007, 21:09:33

Also, these smaller digital recording devices don't necessarily look like recording devices. If you're trying to sneak one in to a venue and get caught during a pat down, just tell them it's your mp3 player. 

So how do you explain the microphones then? :roll:

I use Sonic Studios DSM-6S which look similar to earbuds.  Two times I've had to show my gear and both times security let me pass without question.   

sounds like cheating. i kind of liked the idea of the knife thing better, that's the one that shows some dedication.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 06, 2007, 12:35:36anyway, i'd go for those HD recorders for sure. i see no reason why to use MD anymore.

In my view, ATRAC (the minidisc compression format) is just a glorified mp3. The bitrates generally aren't much better, and I think it just got a better reputation since it came before mp3 and was used by semi-professionals. Ok, it doesn't have the big drop in the high frequencies like mp3, but that doesn't mean it isn't missing a lot of other information...

More about ATRAC here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrac

Sure, there is "Hi-MD" now where you can record in linear PCM... But MD units tend to be cheaper and more poorly built than DAT and hard disk recorders. So even if it's not lossy, chances are the recording device and its internal components are of lower quality.

P.S. Why is r-e-p-u-t-a-t-i-o-n censored here? Did Jim Robin hack our board? :twisted:

dsanchez

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 06, 2007, 12:51:31
P.S. Why is r-e-p-u-t-a-t-i-o-n censored here? Did Jim Robin hack our board? :twisted:

should be ok now :)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: crowbi_wan on April 23, 2007, 21:04:44
Quote from: dsanchez on April 23, 2007, 19:00:21
An interesting Portable Digital Recorder Comparison

:shock: No iriver h120 :!:  That's the thing to get :smth023

Guys, unfortunately I can't afford now the Edirol, however I just learned I can buy (finally) electronics from USA through Internet and bring it to Peru. I've found this IRiver list:

http://lanbox.preciomania.com/search_gen.php/topcat_id=/topcat_search=1/form_keyword=iRiver/x=0/y=0//

Crowbi, is there any that you would recommend for my concert bootleging?.

Cheers

David.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

crowbi_wan

Quote from: dsanchez on May 09, 2007, 16:50:56

Guys, unfortunately I can't afford now the Edirol, however I just learned I can buy (finally) electronics from USA through Internet and bring it to Peru. I've found this IRiver list:

http://lanbox.preciomania.com/search_gen.php/topcat_id=/topcat_search=1/form_keyword=iRiver/x=0/y=0//

Cheers

David.

Unfortunately, iriver doesn't make an mp3 player with line-in any longer.  You can still find them on eBay for roughly $200.  An H120 or H140 is what you'd be looking for.  I've come to learn that if you use a 320/340 with some mic/battery box combos you will a preamp otherwise your levels will be too low.  Now, there's nothing wrong with a preamp.  It's just more gear you need to sneak in and it's more money spent.  I have both, but have yet to test the 320.  Another problem with the 300 series is you cannot Rockbox U.S. versions unless you first get the Euro firmware. 

Here's a link to one ending on eBay tomorrow.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300108970645&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:us     

dsanchez

Quote from: crowbi_wan on May 09, 2007, 17:57:58
Unfortunately, iriver doesn't make an mp3 player with line-in any longer.  You can still find them on eBay for roughly $200.  An H120 or H140 is what you'd be looking for.

Problem is that I can't buy electronics in Ebay because I am in Peru and they won't send it here :(

I think in the end I will go for the Edirol R-09, I've found it by 359US$ (with possibility to send it to Peru) which is still too expensive. But I will think about it....  :roll:

http://lanbox.preciomania.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=16374547/search=edirol

David.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

crowbi_wan

Quote from: dsanchez on May 09, 2007, 18:52:26
Unfortunately, iriver doesn't make an mp3 player with line-in any longer.  You can still find them on eBay for roughly $200.  An H120 or H140 is what you'd be looking for.

Problem is that I can't buy electronics in Ebay because I am in Peru and they won't send it here :(

I think in the end I will go for the Edirol R-09, I've found it by 359US$ (with possibility to send it to Peru) which is still too expensive. But I will think about it....  :roll:

http://lanbox.preciomania.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=16374547/search=edirol

David.

a bit cheaper at $339

http://www.bpmmusic.com/public/pages/edirol_r-09_digital_recorder.html

lostflower4

Quote from: Descent on May 11, 2007, 01:28:56
Quote from: japanesebaby on May 03, 2007, 08:50:59
the best advice: don't be a guy. guys always get searched/patted down, girls don't. or if they do then you can just punch them right in the eye and shout "you freaking pervert!" and that's it.)

Actually, I've been to a few shows where there were women to search on girls. So how would you do it ? :lol: Pants... still the best way I suppose. Or in a bag, most small venues barely check them.

Yep, just like how they bring women cops to the scene of an incident to search people...

Seriously, I think down the pants is the only way to go. I mean, why take any chances?

dsanchez

Quote from: dsanchez on May 09, 2007, 16:50:56

Cheers

David.

Unfortunately, iriver doesn't make an mp3 player with line-in any longer.  You can still find them on eBay for roughly $200.  An H120 or H140 is what you'd be looking for.  I've come to learn that if you use a 320/340 with some mic/battery box combos you will a preamp otherwise your levels will be too low.  Now, there's nothing wrong with a preamp.  It's just more gear you need to sneak in and it's more money spent.  I have both, but have yet to test the 320.  Another problem with the 300 series is you cannot Rockbox U.S. versions unless you first get the Euro firmware. 

Here's a link to one ending on eBay tomorrow.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300108970645&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:us     

Hello guys

Finally I've got to buy the same model as CrowbiWan have in Ebay

Check here

The seller agree to send this to Peru by UPS. I'm looking forward to it :)

Cheers

David.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo