2008.05.31 Los Angeles - Hollywood Bowl (USA) *SOLD OUT*

Started by dsanchez, June 22, 2007, 06:17:10

Previous topic - Next topic

jbud1980

Quote from: j on May 30, 2008, 18:39:25
I think that 65dos is supposed to be on at 6:30pm.  If I remember correctly, the Bowl has a 10:30pm curfew, so The Cure should be on around 7:45-ish

Thanks for the information!   :D

jbud1980

i've waited hours for this
i've made myself so sick

:-D

Bloodflower

To all attending: Enjoy the show!

Underneath the Stars tonight? I thought we'd get it in Santa Barbara; I was wrong. Maybe you'll be the lucky ones?

Don't keep the boys up to late! They've got a four hour show to give me on Sunday.  :-D

Kidding. I hope they play all night. Doing the Unstuck has been played at the last couple of shows. I think you might be getting it again tonight. And maybe the distant noises of Other Voices?

;)
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

crowbi_wan

Pretty good show tonight at the Hollywood Bowl.  No real surprises other than the long overdue return of the KMKMKM encore.  It's been missing for far too long, having not been played since the two Midwest dates.  Unfortunately, E3 and E4 just don't do it for me and will always thinking why must they end with those songs?  :roll:  Oh well, they're crowd favorites, so...

For once I could hear Porl coming through the PA and didn't have to rely on picking him up through his cabinets.  He's such an integral part to this Cure line-up that he needs to be loud like tonight.  The strange , no make that bothersome part of the mix tonight was Jason.  For once it wasn't his kick drum that was too loud, it was practically every other drum and one or two cymbals, with the snare being WAY to loud.  For once I actually welcomed The Lovecats so I wouldn't have to hear that horrid snare sound.  I kid you not, it sounded like one of those 5 gallon buckets you see guys playing on street corners being played directly over my head.  :smth021  Strangely enough, the guy that I saw playing one of those buckets earlier in the day down on Hollywood and Hillside had worked his way up to the Bowl exit as people were leaving.  I thought about suiting up again and getting a sample, just to compare to Jason's snare.  :P  Okay, I'm not going to let some crappy drum sound ruin a show, so onward.

Nice to get Underneath The Stars again.  Wasn't sure it was going to happen because it wasn't quite dark enough a half hour after 65dos was done.  But The Cure had a plan.  They waited until 8:00 (as that would give them 3 hours until curfew) and added the Plainsong projection.  So, not technically underneath any stars, but more so in front of them.  In any case, it was great to hear and needed to be played tonight.  Pretty standard with Never Enough making it's return after a short break and Friday being played on a Saturday (Robert asked us to imagine it was Friday).  Elise is really sounding nice now, not that it didn't early in the week.  Just that songs get better the more they are played.  And that's why its a shame they aren't playing a few others that will get out later.  I guess Robert figures soundchecks are good enough.  Sleep When I'm Dead found it's way back to being played after Lovesong (like in Vansnoozer) and I quite like it there.  Something heavy to break up the Disintegration singles, even if To Wish follows. 

One thing that caught my eye was Simon during Deep Green Sea.  I swear he must have had one too many Red Bulls because he was hopping around more than normal and looked like he was about to fall over s a few times.  Good energy from him, even if that energy came in liquid form.  Porl on the other hand was more mellow tonight. 

Overall it was an enjoyable show.  Had it not been for E1 and Porl being in the mix I'd have probably somewhat different feelings.  KMKMKM saved this show for me.  It was a good one, just not up to par with some of the others from this tour. 

Tomorrow should be a great one.  No, it will be great.  A real treat for us die-hards.  Until then...   

Oh yeah, Trent Reznor was sitting about 20 rows in front of me :rocker  I heard some people saying Martin Gore was present, too.  I guess that's Hollywood.  Who knows who else was there.  Hell, I saw Spiderman, Marilyn Monroe, three Johnny Depps, Mickey Mouse, and the Devel earlier in the day.  And to my surprise, Ryan Seacrest has a star on the Walk (that I just happened to spit my gum on).   Hollywood, er Hollyweird indeed  :lol:       

jbud1980

Just got in, the show was great, but I am trying to enjoy my del taco to soak up some of the alcohol, so i will keep this short. yes, trent reznor was there,  i was in box 371, think he was three boxes to my right, and no obstruction. my friend also said a guy from AFI was there, but since i am not a fan, i really did not take notice. Of course, i did not hear anything played that was on my imaginary sign i had held up, but whatever, it was still a great show, and the crowd seemed to be into it. the highlight for me was Close To Me, because even though it is somewhat a radio friendly song, blah blah blah, i had seen The Cure four times prior, yet missed that song, and it is one of my favorites. (i have a picture of trent too...  :P)

i was wearing a black siouxsie and the banshees t-shirt with blue jeans and my docs, anybody see me?

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on June 01, 2008, 09:49:05
Oh yeah, Trent Reznor was sitting about 20 rows in front of me :rocker
Quote from: jbud1980 on June 01, 2008, 10:20:38
(i have a picture of trent too...  :P)

americans get all the fun: news songs, 'other voices' - even trent.  :smth086

next time robert plays in europe he'd better make sure he brings trent with him and i'd better be seated right next to him. that's the least apology i can take.
until then, i hate robert.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Bloodflower

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 01, 2008, 12:18:31

americans get all the fun: news songs, 'other voices' - even trent.  :smth086

next time robert plays in europe he'd better make sure he brings trent with him and i'd better be seated right next to him. that's the least apology i can take.
until then, i hate robert.

We were due, after tour after tour of getting the poppier sets compared to Europe. Prayer Tour, Wish Tour, Swing Tour..... Europe got MUCH better sets than North America. About friggin time!

I'm leaving for LA in a few hours. Starting to feel that familiar pre-show tingling. Or maybe I just need to pee. It's sort of the same feeling.

My wishlist for tonight from the Master Setlist that Saint Crowbi provided:

Plainsong
Pictures of You

Prayers For Rain
The Same Deep Water as You
Disintegration
The Figurehead
Siamese Twins
The Hanging Garden
A Strange Day
The Holy Hour
Primary
Other Voices
Charlotte Sometimes
The Drowning Man
Faith
At Night
M
Play For Today
A Forest
Out of This World
Watching Me FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL
Maybe Someday
Bloodflowers
The Big Hand
Want
Club America
Doing the Unstuck
A Letter to Elise
To Wish Impossible Things
Underneath the Stars
A Boy I Never Knew
The Perfect Boy
Sleep When I'm Dead

Baby Rag Dog Book
The Kiss
Catch
How Beautiful You Are...
Shiver And Shake
If Only Tonight We Could Sleep
The Baby Screams
A Night Like This
The Blood
Kyoto Song
Three Imaginary Boys
Fire in Cairo
Boys Don't Cry
Jumping Someone Else's Train
Grinding Halt
10.15 Saturday Night
Killing Another

Whoo!

[Edit, 2008/06/02: Struck out what we got. Not bad!]

japanesebaby

Quote from: Bloodflower on June 01, 2008, 19:24:25
We were due, after tour after tour of getting the poppier sets compared to Europe. Prayer Tour, Wish Tour, Swing Tour..... Europe got MUCH better sets than North America. About friggin time!

aah whatever - but you got trent too!

:-D

Quote from: Bloodflower on June 01, 2008, 19:24:25
My wishlist for tonight from the Master Setlist that Saint Crowbi provided:

Plainsong
Pictures of You
Prayers For Rain
The Same Deep Water as You
Disintegration
The Figurehead
Siamese Twins
The Hanging Garden
A Strange Day
The Holy Hour
Primary
Other Voices
Charlotte Sometimes
The Drowning Man
Faith
At Night
M
Play For Today
A Forest
Out of This World
Watching Me FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL
Maybe Someday
Bloodflowers
The Big Hand
Want
Club America
Doing the Unstuck
A Letter to Elise
To Wish Impossible Things
Underneath the Stars
A Boy I Never Knew
The Perfect Boy
Sleep When I'm Dead
Baby Rag Dog Book
The Kiss
Catch
How Beautiful You Are...
Shiver And Shake
If Only Tonight We Could Sleep
The Baby Screams
A Night Like This
The Blood
Kyoto Song
Three Imaginary Boys
Fire in Cairo
Boys Don't Cry
Jumping Someone Else's Train
Grinding Halt
10.15 Saturday Night
Killing Another

Whoo!

i take that is for the main set alone?  :eek: :lol:

have fun... :smth023

(ps. i hope trent's not there...!)

Bloodflower

cure_kitty

Great reviews guys!  :-D  Looks like another decent Cure show.  I'm so wishing I had the money to see a few more when they come back out to the east coast!

japanesebaby

i really don't believe noone has any footage of trent rocking out.
so come on stop sitting on it and let's see it!

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 02, 2008, 22:07:00

I saw a picture link posted somewhere.  Crap, I didn't download it and can't remember where it was posted  :smth100

jbud1980

Quote from: crowbi_wan on June 02, 2008, 22:31:09
Quote from: japanesebaby on June 02, 2008, 22:07:00

I saw a picture link posted somewhere.  Crap, I didn't download it and can't remember where it was posted  :smth100

I took a cell phone pic of Trent sitting very close to me, yet I do not know how to post it on here...any assistance?

[labyrinth]

tdcrjeff

Quote from: crowbi_wan on June 01, 2008, 09:49:05For once I could hear Porl coming through the PA and didn't have to rely on picking him up through his cabinets.  He's such an integral part to this Cure line-up that he needs to be loud like tonight.  The strange , no make that bothersome part of the mix tonight was Jason.  For once it wasn't his kick drum that was too loud, it was practically every other drum and one or two cymbals, with the snare being WAY to loud. 
I was in a Terrace box and had trouble hearing Porl most of the time. And the snare drum *was* really dreadful.