"Ten Imaginary Years" Barbarian/Sutherland/Smith

Started by japanesebaby, August 28, 2007, 18:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

'ten imaginary years' by lydie barbarian, steve sutherland and robert smith
first edition 1988 by fiction/zomba books (UK)

ok i guess this book obviously needs no introduction.
'if you only have one cure book then get this one' - yet the eternal question seems to be: will it ever be updated and re-published?
this one still stops around '87...  :roll:
'twenty imaginary years' (or why not 'twentyfive') would be very welcome companion to have.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

does anyone know whether this has been translated to any other language?
even when this one's almost official (at least semi-official), i just find it strange if this one was never chosen for to be translated whereas some other cure books (and a lot inferior ones!) have been translated.

Carnage Visor

OH MY ROBERT! I mean...GOD! :eek:Robert actually WROTE a book on The Cure and I don't have it???

Shame on me! I've gotta search EBAY, man!

Tof

There are 10 specimens of this book in France which are dedicated by Robert. they were to be gained in a French émmission, “the children of the rock'n'roll”, Barbarian was invited.
Tof

japanesebaby

Quote from: Carnage Visor on September 01, 2007, 02:18:38
OH MY ROBERT! I mean...GOD! :eek:Robert actually WROTE a book on The Cure and I don't have it???

Shame on me! I've gotta search EBAY, man!

yes you have to get it NOW dude!!!  :rocker

maybe you noticed it already, but anyway here's one ending today:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-CURE-TEN-10-IMAGINARY-YEARS-GLOSSY-PHOTO-BOOK_W0QQitemZ170142301385QQihZ007QQcategoryZ86003QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:smth023

silversand

Ten imaginary years is in my opinion one of the best books about The Cure.
This is a must have. You can also get it e.g. from the amazon marketplace  :)
Good luck Carnage Visor  :smth023

Descent

Quote from: Tof on September 01, 2007, 04:11:03
There are 10 specimens of this book in France which are dedicated by Robert. they were to be gained in a French émmission, “the children of the rock'n'roll”, Barbarian was invited.

That was funny you translated the name of the tv show... :lol: I'm not sure it was Les Enfants du Rock though but something called Planète Rock.

Otherwise, yes, there's a French edition (since Barbarian was a French journalist !) too. But I don't think the book was published elsewhere (apart from UK and France). That French edition has been out of print for almost 2 decades (but you can find old copies sometimes).

Robert Smith supervised the 10 Imaginary Years book, that's why he's credited as author. He actually censored a few things apparently. :-D But it's greatest book on the band, because it feels like you're at a bar with them (the exagerated bits, I love them !). :lol: It's nice to have their words/opinion directly.

On an eventual book's follow up, I think the planned dvds pack relating the band history will probably replace that.

scatcat

I just finished reading this book, I got it from the links to Amazon via curefans.com!!!

I can definately say there are quite a lot of things I never really knew about The Cure and Robert Smith, just from this book!  I wish it didn't just stop there.. I wish it kept going on... so many quotes and different opinions.  :smth023

I can say this truly.. I admire Mary for staying by Robert's side during the formative years of the band!  Imagine if it all fell apart.. there'd be no Cure!!

This book ROCKS   :rocker
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Janko

THIS BOOK WAS TRANSLATED INTO SERBIAN ALSO
BUT IT WAS POORLY DESIGNED AND IT HAD VERY FEW PICTURES

WHAT IS WORSE I BOUGHT IT FROM ONE OF THOSE BARGAIN BOXES
OBVIOUSLY DIDNT SPUR MUCH INTEREST IN THE 90'S SERBIA

:smth011

IT'S A NICE BOOK THOUGH
PRECIOUS IF YOU'RE INTRODUCING YOURSELF WITH THE CURE
IT'S GREAT THAT IT COVERS THAT EARLY, EARLY PERIOD...
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

gioez

I've got in 1990 and it's a real treasure.
Yes, it's strange that nobody translated this great book vs other languages.
[move][b][glow=red,6,28]100 Years[/glow][/b][/move]

scatcat

Quote from: gioez on November 14, 2007, 14:42:37
I've got in 1990 and it's a real treasure.
Yes, it's strange that nobody translated this great book vs other languages.

what languages would the curefans want or prefer to be translated into?  just a possibility..
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

splitmilk34

I've been on a mission for a few years to find this book.  I've gone to new, used and independent book stores alike and haven't had any luck.  I refuse to pay $50 or something ridiculous off of Amazon, but I'm really DYING to read this.  If it's even 1/2 as great as "Learning How to Die" (the Wilco biography by Greg Kot - a revelation, I must say) then I may have to at least shell out $30.

I'd really like to see this get re-issued along with a wave of album remasters.  That might be nice.
"... sleeping less every night"

japanesebaby

Quote from: splitmilk34 on November 14, 2007, 19:46:20
I've been on a mission for a few years to find this book.  I've gone to new, used and independent book stores alike and haven't had any luck.  I refuse to pay $50 or something ridiculous off of Amazon, but I'm really DYING to read this. 

the links that amazon offers for used/out of print books can often be completely ripoff-ish.  :smth011
instead, try ebay and i assure you'll find a copy pretty easily - and with a lot nicer price.
for instance, i don't think these are completely bad deals:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Cure-Ten-Imaginary-Years-Barbarian-Steve-Sutherl_W0QQitemZ330179689096QQihZ014QQcategoryZ378QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-CURE-TEN-IMAGINARY-YEARS-UK-BIOGRAPHY-BOOK_W0QQitemZ120170556020QQihZ002QQcategoryZ268QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

and those are buy-it-now prices. if you have patience to keep on eye on some of the auctioned ones (like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-CURE-TEN-IMAGINARY-YEARS-OFFICIAL-BIOGRAPHY-p-b_W0QQitemZ140177142319QQihZ004QQcategoryZ274QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

and you might very well get it even cheaper than that.
there are usually several copies being auctioned at all times. and if not, then just wait a few days and one or two auctions will pop up.

good luck!

splitmilk34

Thanks Marika... you're right, those aren't bad deals at all.  I didn't really check Ebay before because of a previous bad experience, but I think I'll have to strongly consider it now!
"... sleeping less every night"

Joe

I read it a few years ago when I was just getting into the band and obsessed with them. I live in Pennsylvania and I ordered a copy to read through the local library. It arrived all the way from the Houston Public Library and it was one of the best band biographies I've read.  :D