4:13 Dream

Started by KingOfSomeIsland, October 20, 2008, 19:37:40

Previous topic - Next topic

tigermilk

I'm about to listen to 4:13 Dream now. I'm glad it was leaked but I hope everyone still buys the disc. I feel kinda special being one of the first to listen to it, it's like the fans get the first listen, and then the rest of the world.
:smth020

temptation-cure

Quote from: tigermilk on October 21, 2008, 14:43:13
I'm about to listen to 4:13 Dream now. I'm glad it was leaked but I hope everyone still buys the disc. I feel kinda special being one of the first to listen to it, it's like the fans get the first listen, and then the rest of the world.
:smth020
i got it yesterday ") :)
Oh that boy is a slag the best u ever had , the best u ever had is just a memory and those dreams but weren't daft as they seem , not as daft as they seem..oh my love when u dreamed them up..oh flo where did u go .. oww ohh(F.A)
-----------------------------------

http://temptation-cure.galeon.com

GreenGhost

blargh, i'm trying to resist seeking out the leaked version.  I want the vinyl the day it comes out, but that's doubtful with my local record store and it probably wouldn't get here in time if I ordered it online.   :cry:
hmmmmm
and the past is taunting
fear of ghosts
is forcing me apart

www.chimneysweeprecords.com

japanesebaby

Quote from: GreenGhost on October 21, 2008, 20:49:00
I want the vinyl the day it comes out, but that's doubtful with my local record store and it probably wouldn't get here in time if I ordered it online.   :cry:

my local record stores all told me that the vinyl version won't even released in my country so it will be import-only item.
that means it'll be available here only week or two after the release date.
oh well. but i guess i don't mind this time.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

patitodark

Quote from: revolt on October 21, 2008, 11:23:49
That graphic is almost painful to watch, I can only imagine what the music does to your years...

Don't imagine but hear it by yourself!  :smth020  ;)

I've been a fan since 1985 when my father bought me my first Cure L.P. (The Head on the door) then I discovered their back catalog and the rest is history. Years and years of great songs. Songs that now are part of my life.

After Wish -in my opinion- all the albums have been a GREAT letdown, God knows how much I missed the great songs of the past and how much I hated Jason in the drums  :smth011. For me The Cure turned into a band who got recognitions and Grammy nominations only because the industry guys looked them as a bunch of old guys who once were great and made really good songs; in other words they were getting attention for what they made before rather than for what they were doing at the moment. :roll:

Dream 4:13 is not as great as Disintegration or Wish (I feel it closer to The Head on the door), BUT many of the songs sound more "Cure" in a "natural way" than in their latest attempts where the sound, lyrics and everything was so forced that really sucked.
I'm not talking about the mix, the levels, etc. I'm talking about the feelings that the record inspire in me this time.

As I said in an earlier post, I think this is their best work since Wish and I believe that Porl enhanced Robert's compositions. If the mix level or the graphs show too much saturation, etc. that's another story. I'm not Robert's Yes-Man, but this time I think the whole thing improved.

ExplicitMoment

I caved in and downloaded the leaked album, but I will be buying it on release day, this conversation made me go and check it out.

I'm listening to it right now, and I have to say it - come on guys, it isn't anywhere near as bad as some of you are making out. It is loud, but it isn't "Californication" or The Stooges, it sounds fine to me. Depeche Mode's "Playing the Angel" had very noticeable digital clipping in parts, I've yet to hear any on this.

The mix and production overall sound very slick and much more like "traditional" Cure (Wish, THOTD), and for that I am very grateful. Robert's vocals are thankfully at a good level, but the drums sound too quiet to me, but maybe there's a reason for that...

First impressions are that this is a return to form for the guys, a strong poppy album in the vein of Wish or Head on the Door. I like it. :)

A note on the mastering - I would question how much input the band has on that. They aren't on Fiction any more, they may not be in as much control of their product as they may have been in the past. And while they will pick the producer and be present for the mixing, mastering is an entirely different and more "functional" process that bands rarely get involved in. I might be wrong and Robert has this all under control, but worth thinking about before people start sticking the boot into the guy.

japanesebaby

ok i gave in a bit and i've listened only 'underneath the stars' so far.
it's not clipping awfully or anything (since most of the song is not that loud) - BUT there's something in the mix that sounds really messy, like the sound is somehow "broken". it simply sounds cheap, not like a quality production should. its definitely not (just) some volume-destruction problem but it's simply the way it's been mixed, it's somehow... just not quite ideal. and whenever the volume gets a bit up (like towards the end of 'underneath...'), there's this irritating shrill sound there all over the song, like a shrilling background noise that muffles all the real details of the music.  it's pretty similar to how the singles were and i find that really quite distracting. it's hard to focus on the details in the songs because you somehow "cannot hear them properly" because of the messy mixing.
at the same time the sound also weirdly lacking "normal" kind of spaciousness that one could expect from a studio recording of this kind. so whoever it was that mixed this, he wasn't doing a quality job at all. for whatever reasons, i don't know.

so imo, not a reason for a personal hooray, enjoyment wise. at the moment i'm even not very disappointed but not at all thrilled either. it's quite weird feeling (or "non-feeling", so to speak), considering all the long wait for this album...

anyway, i don't think i'm going to listen to the rest of tracks (from this leaked version) now as i only wanted a preview and i got one.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

patitodark

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 21, 2008, 22:14:12
ok i gave in a bit and i've listened only 'underneath the stars' so far.
it's not clipping awfully or anything (since most of the song is not that loud) - BUT there's something in the mix that sounds really messy, like the sound is somehow "broken". it simply sounds cheap, not like a quality production should. its definitely not (just) some volume-destruction problem but it's simply the way it's been mixed, it's somehow... just not quite ideal. and whenever the volume gets a bit up (like towards the end of 'underneath...'),

Japanesebaby... you played the worst sounding song in the album in my opinion... :(
I totally agree that when the song's volume turns up a bit it becomes kind of distorted that was my first impression when I heard it for the first time too.
The Only One has a bit of this too. But many of the others are OK... I mean, the mixing final result works for them at least this is what I think.
On the 28th you will finally listen to it and will let us know what do you think ;)

DJscribbles

i felt empty and a little dissapointed after listening to the album. i hyped it up too much as i always do, it was my fault.

i like it, but i cant say in my heart that its my fave album of the year or something like that
Every night I dream, and every day it comes true

tigermilk

The production/mixing is bad, horrible in fact.
SO PLEASE LISTEN TO THE ALBUM WITH THE TREBLE TURNED DOWN A BIT. ON AN I-POD YOU'LL NEED TO GO TO "SETTINGS", THEN "EQ", AND SELECT "TREBLE REDUCER".The album seriously sounds 100x better when this is done!!!

1. Underneath The Stars 10/10
Very good. Although I don't think it fits on the album very well. Kinda like "Want" didn't suit the rest of Wild Mood Swings. And surely echo isn't needed on the voice all of the time??

2. The Only One 9/10
Let's get happy!

3. The Reasons Why 10/10
Classic stuff. Nothing like anything they've done before, I really love the chorus.

4. Freakshow 10/10
Let's get happy!

5. Sirensong 10/10
I love it, nice and dreamy with beautiful lyrics.

6. The Real Snow White 8.5/10
A little dissapointing, pretty damn rocking nevertheless.

7. The Hungry Ghost 10/10
Awesome, one of the albums best tracks for sure!

8. Switch 10/10
Brilliant work here, it sounds like an updated version of 'Cut' (to me at least).

9. The Perfect Boy 9/10
Let's get happy!

10. This. Here And Now With You. 10/10
This track suprised me because I know a few people who didn't like the live version at all. But this sounds great. Could have easily been a single and would have been a nice album closer.

11. Sleep When I'm Dead 7/10
I still can't understand how this song got to #1 on the charts. It's not terrible, but it's not a standout on the album.

12. The Scream 7/10
I prefer the first half of this song. The music is frantic and extreme like it's the end of the world and all chaos has broken lose. Robert lets go of all his aggression. Maybe this would have been a better B-Side choice (in my opinion).

13. It's Over 7/10
Welcome back Porl, guitars are everywhere!!! Haha. The lyrics are almost hidden amongst the instruments. The loudest closing song in Cure history.

Overall pretty good. I wish they didn't have 4 singles, because it would have been good to hear some of them for the first time on the CD. And that way they could have saved some B-Sides for the album instead, it would have been good to have "NY Trip" and "Down Under" on here. And don't come in a expecting their best album. And you musn't compare any of this to older material... Because if you do that you probably won't like it. Just remember it's 2008 and this is a NEW album. It's not Disintegration part 2. It's not Kiss Me part 2. It's something different altogether. And remember, turn the treble down because the production/mixing is too loud. This will make it sound even better! Enjoy!!!

nausearockpig

I'm getting a copy of the album from a mate who works for a music street mag on Friday... one day before it comes out in aust.. yay!!!

revolt

Quote from: tigermilk on October 22, 2008, 04:23:40
And you musn't compare any of this to older material... Because if you do that you probably won't like it.

These 2 simple sentences say more about the album than all those 9/10 and 10/10 with which you rate the songs...  :-D Of course we should compare the new stuff by a group with older stuff by the same group. That's precisely a context where comparisons make sense. And anyway, it is not even a matter of "should" or "mustn't", because it's a thing all of us will do, at least unconsciously. I also think it is a matter of respect for The Cure that we judge their music by the standards they have set themselves.

Secrets

It's somewhat comforting to know that I feel similar to what has been said in previous posts.

1. I agree that it sounds like a more natural Cure sound than anything released in a while.

2. I also felt flat after listening to it.  It's solid, but fairly unremarkable. I find most of the songs somewhat bland, and a difficult to sink into (the latter a possible production issue?)

3. Sirensong is a standout for me...it's very much a Cure song and Cure mood, but with those slide guitars it's a refreshingly new take on the Cure signatures...something none of the other tracks on the album quite manage to do.

4. Hungry Ghost..does anyone else think it starts exactly like the live versions of Want with those distorted guitar chords, but in double-time?

5. Lots of lines of lyrics running into each other.  Sometimes it works, other times not so successful.

I really miss Boris' booming precise tom toms :-/

othervoices

The real snow white seems to be generally unpopular - I LOVE it!!! Can't get the chorus out of my head!!!

A fantastic album, IMO the best material released since 1989. Somehow makes me think of a modern take on THOTD / Kiss Me.

...& Let's hope the darker material appears soon  :smth020

tigermilk

Quote from: revolt on October 22, 2008, 11:23:22
Quote from: tigermilk on October 22, 2008, 04:23:40
And you musn't compare any of this to older material... Because if you do that you probably won't like it.

These 2 simple sentences say more about the album than all those 9/10 and 10/10 with which you rate the songs...  :-D Of course we should compare the new stuff by a group with older stuff by the same group. That's precisely a context where comparisons make sense. And anyway, it is not even a matter of "should" or "mustn't", because it's a thing all of us will do, at least unconsciously. I also think it is a matter of respect for The Cure that we judge their music by the standards they have set themselves.

True, it is something we will all do, at least unconsciously as you say. But I can see some people giving it one listen and saying it's crap because it can't hold a candle to Wish. And then never giving it a chance. We have to give it a chance at least. But I must confess, I did compare it to other albums even though I at first told myself not too  :oops: hahaha. Mainly because a lot of people have been saying it's their best record since 1992's Wish. But I don't see it that way at all. Wild Mood Swings, Bloodflowers and The Cure are albums I enjoyed. But this one (mainly because of the bad mixing/production) doesn't seem to interest me as much. It's still pretty cool and I've been listening to it nonstop since yesterday. But I always remember how dissapointed I was with Wild Mood Swings when I first got that, but I love it now... :roll: