released demos (new)

Started by DJscribbles, September 18, 2008, 04:54:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Oso Blanco

By the way, the production (or is it the mastering) on the new singles really IS horrible. It seems that they are trying to win the loudness war so desperately that they are willing to take the risk of deafening their fans. There is absolutely no dynamic range, it really does hurt my ears ... especially The Perfect Boy.

**post edited: please don't advertise on this forum. take your two minutes read the forum rules before posting.

curefans.com staff
Time is the fire in which we burn ...

japanesebaby

Quote from: Oso Blanco on September 20, 2008, 13:09:35
Quote from: japanesebaby on September 20, 2008, 12:30:07
truly, i am baffled why people feel so threatened just because there are other people in the forum with different sort of opinions.
what's there to be threatened about?

Maybe that's because some people around here (especially you) come across as quite intolerant when it comes to other people's opinion. You are bombarding people with xxl posts and accusations when nobody even asked for your opinion. I'm sure that Señor Sanchez doesn't need a spokesperson, he could have defended himself if he had wanted to.

You are attacking me as a matter of principle, no matter what I say. It seems that you only tolerate people when they agree with you. Criticism must not be tolerated, right?

you have my further reply on a pm because this thread is for discussing the demos, not anyone's (=your) personal problems.

i'll just remind you that you're the only one here so far calling people nazis and insane. nobody else did. so the reason you've been asked to stop is because your conduct is intentionally ill-mannered and equals to trolling by now.

opinions and suggestions are always welcome here, but complaints that merely are motivated by getting a chance to lash out others or complain for the complaining's sake are not. any further comments you keep putting up that stay on this path and which are only clearly aimed to distract this thread further will be removed.

if you have some personal problems with some individual members, take it over to pms (like was already suggested to you once) and please stop wasting everyone's time in public.

**edit: we mean it, oso. stop posting insults on this forum.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Lostflowerboy

ok in order to get somewhere here (instead of just going round and round): could you perhaps give some examples? and especially, what makes you think people wish for another 'disintegration'? where is this impression of yours really based on?

Sure, I'll try. It's interesting to see how many people get freaked out about every recent tune that sounds just slightly like it maybe a rest over from the 1989 era (Underneath the stars, Your god is fear, Going nowhere), whatever the qualitiy of those tunes may be when it comes to creativity or inspiring lyrics. Not to mention that (relative) hysteria that breaks out everytime Robert mentions the possibility of an upcoming dark album. To me it seems that when it comes to rating songs some people (maybe without realizing) weight the mood over the quality (how ever that is to be defined) of the songs. Not to mention the various "This would be the perfect 2000-2008 album - lists" that get published here. They would exactly look similar if the question would be "name all 2000-2008 songs that get closest to the sound/mood of Disintegration".
I don't want to insult people with that theory, it's just meant to make them question their expectations towards new Cure releases. Besides that everybody is free from liking or disliking songs and I'm glad this forum isn't made of a bunch of Robert ass-lickers.  ;)

about something being "overfocused" here in general: in general, people here are welcome to discuss what they feel is necessary and important to discuss. there are no official opinions here and nobody is forced to agree with anyone. therefore i don't think we can say something is "over focused": just as long people have grounds to write their impressions and they can give some reasoning behind it, they can write it out.

The best example of what I mean with "overfocused" was just given in these days: A bunch of unreleased Cure demos show up and ...guess what...we have a two page discussion about wether the link should be removed because the demos are only available as mp3s. That's ridiculous, in my oppinion. People got to set their priorities right, that's all. As Oso B. pointed out: Go and ask Robert for flac versions of those songs. Come on, don't tell me that you don't understand my point on that issue of techncial aspects being "overfocused" on this example.

And I don't feel like somebody here is insulting me or trying to be hostile and I hope that nobody gets the impression of me. I'm here to discuss with other fans of my favourite band and enjoy that.

To sum it up and make myself clear: I highly appreciate everybodys oppinion, but still I'd like to raise my impressions:

- Some people here rate songs rather by their mood and atmopshere (the closer to Disintegration, the better) than by their quality. The reviews that will hopefully given here about the new album soon, will prove me right or wrong with that.   

- Some people here tend to be to much focussed on technical aspects. Give me a spontanous review and reaction the next time when unreleased Cure demos show up instead of asking for flac versions and I'm proved wrong with that.  ;)

Oso Blanco

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 20, 2008, 13:24:53

I did not insult anyone. I only posted a quote about the consequences of censorship.
Time is the fire in which we burn ...

Lostflowerboy

Just a minor point, but maybe it will help calming down the moods a little bit:
The term "nazi" has in Germany become a term for people who are very narrowly focussed on a point and have a strict attitude towards something. E.g. a "Garten-Nazi" is somebody who gets upset about all the grass in his garden not having the exact same lenght and therefore spend 4 hours a day in their garden to care for it.
So a "nazi" isn't necessarly implying that somebody has a fascist attitude.

japanesebaby

Quote from: Lostflowerboy on September 20, 2008, 14:06:31
Sure, I'll try. It's interesting to see how many people get freaked out about every recent tune that sounds just slightly like it maybe a rest over from the 1989 era

Not to mention that (relative) hysteria that breaks out everytime Robert mentions the possibility of an upcoming dark album.

relative hysteria? sorry but aren't you exaggerating a bit there? where in the forum was this?
and all in all, what i actually meant was that could you please give some direct links to posts where people say all that about "wanting to have a new disintegration"?

I don't want to insult people with that theory, it's just meant to make them question their expectations towards new Cure releases.

but isn't the whole point of it being a good thing that we're having different opinions here? if we didn't have all the various opinions we wouldn't be engaged to discuss it much at all. but discussion doesn't mean that we would need to make other people agree with me, turn them on our side. why should we?

Besides that everybody is free from liking or disliking songs and I'm glad this forum isn't made of a bunch of Robert ass-lickers.  ;)

at least we agree on something. ;)

The best example of what I mean with "overfocused" was just given in these days: A bunch of unreleased Cure demos show up and ...guess what...we have a two page discussion about wether the link should be removed because the demos are only available as mp3s. That's ridiculous, in my oppinion.

the thread is two pages long but again i think it's exaggeration to say that all of it is talking about mp3s. sure, this has gone all derailed lately, as we've had our resident troll in action here. and yes that's too bad. too bad this thread got all ruined.

i'd just like to point out why i made any mp3 related posts there:
1) i was asking about the source - i wasn't saying "mp3s suck, let's have flac". i was curious about the source, where these came from. i assume other people might have been curious too so it's not completely irrelevant part of the conversation and not just "some technical issue".

2) my second post was necessary because the original links pointed to a site with official cure releases. we can't have things like these on this forum, simple as that. therefore i don't think it was not just some idle technical issue either.

anyway, that's all about that.

what comes to the definition of the word "nazis": since you too already said this thread is getting ridiculous, then why don't we all focus on the demos and the discussion about then for the rest of this thread?
:)

no more trolling posts or posts/comments about trolling here. 

exploding boy

cmoon people, its the cure, sounds good in flac mp3 wma cassette vinyl magazine and every f*cking format, relax enjoy the songs, its the cure songs!!!!!!!!!
hello friens its great site

nausearockpig

So anyway I hear that there are some old songs suddenly leaked.....

Please Come Home: yeah understated beginnings as Crobi said somewhere, but a very nice chorus, reminds me of Bloodflowers not 2004's "The Cure" which sounded to me, like a whole bunch of unfinished songs...

Strum: again this sounds like a Bloodflowers era song, but one that's been given the 2004 treatment. Saying that though it sounds nice. I like it and wonder what it could have been...

A Boy I Never Knew: I love the piano [or whatever it is] in there. Can't say I care much for the live versions that I've heard so far.. looking forward to the album version.. Just getting to the end of this song now, f*ck!! that's powerful...

Shame about the diginoise though, esp in A Boy...

Lostflowerboy

For the moment I love that diginoise, 'cause it reminds me of the bootleg B-Side collections that were essential before Joint the dots came out. Especially "A chain of flowers" had a lot of distortion.

sues777

Quote from: nausearockpig on September 21, 2008, 07:20:25
So anyway I hear that there are some old songs suddenly leaked.....

Please Come Home: yeah understated beginnings as Crobi said somewhere, but a very nice chorus, reminds me of Bloodflowers not 2004's "The Cure" which sounded to me, like a whole bunch of unfinished songs...

Strum: again this sounds like a Bloodflowers era song, but one that's been given the 2004 treatment. Saying that though it sounds nice. I like it and wonder what it could have been...

A Boy I Never Knew: I love the piano [or whatever it is] in there. Can't say I care much for the live versions that I've heard so far.. looking forward to the album version.. Just getting to the end of this song now, f*ck!! that's powerful...

Shame about the diginoise though, esp in A Boy...

I can't believe how much I'm loving these - I've basically been listening to them on repeat all weekend. 

Please Come Home - classic guitar sound.  Simple drums but very effective.  Love the way it builds into the chorus which is just fantastic.   Musically great, vocally brilliant, powerful, emotional, gorgeous.  I agree it has a bit of Bloodflowers vibe to it, but to me it has more of 'an edge', is a little more guitar driven and therefore for me fits better with the 2004 stuff..

Strum - almost a pop song compared to the other two, but I love that about it.  GREAT bass line and sound, nice and bright.  Keyboards are quite subtle(?) and help give it a 'lighter' sound.  Love the vocals - right up front and quite 'pure' to me, sounds quite light on effects(?), but then again the diginoise makes it's really hard for me to say with any certainty.  Yeah, agree this one's definitely been given the 2004 treatment..

A Boy I Never Knew - I'm actually surprised this one's surfaced.  After all that was written about it around the time the 2004 album was released, I somehow didn't think it would...I think it's beautifully intricate - lots of different guitar and drum layers and is that a keyboard way in the back in parts?  Love the acoustic on the left and the electric that cuts in on the right during the chorus.  And the voice...jesus..so, so powerful, so beautiful.  I was actually listening to this on the iPod while doing the grocery shopping this afternoon and almost had 'a moment'...Gorgeous, just gorgeous....

Having said all that, I'm not a musician and I know my ear's not as good as it used to be, so I'm just going on gut feel and these tracks really make me feel.  And that's more important to me than saying they're technically great/perfect/whatever...   
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

Secrets

I wouldn't deconstruct these songs too much as they sound very much like studio demos.  The spirit of the songs are there, but they lack the finesse and polish of a properly produced album track (though that *was* the vibe of the last album).
They certainly do have a lot of promise though.

dsanchez

Quote from: Oso Blanco on September 20, 2008, 13:09:35
I'm sure that Señor Sanchez doesn't need a spokesperson, he could have defended himself if he had wanted to.

I have no Internet access at home till tuesday so if any of the staff members speak in behalf of me meanwhile, I am very ok with that (thanks japanesebaby)

I just want to remind that as in any community, we have certain rules:

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,4197.0.html

One of these rules state clearly "no mp3". Thats why I deleted the links to the demos: because they were mp3. I didnt know it was the only source available.

Then (minutes later) some staff members told me about this particular situation and I explained that given this case, the mp3 were ok. So simple as that. I dont know why something so simple became a discussion of two pages instead of focusing in the songs themselves.

Lets back to the topic.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

just something small about the arrangement of 'a boy i never knew': i find it somehow curious that the background keyboard melody on harmonium is double with a keyboard/piano-ish sound. whereas all the rest of the song sounds pretty finished to me, that detail is something i find very demo-ish - like they couldn't really make up their mind which one to use, piano or harmonium.
if i could choose (which i won't) i could actually think of the song withou that piano sound, just with the harmonium. i think that suits the song very well.

i really like 'a boy i never knew'. both this version and the live versions. :D

too bad for the diginoise but what can you do. better this than nothing.
however i suppose i don't get that nostalgic surge as to me it doesn't sound at all like those cozy little pops and clicks that those vinyl transfers were full of  (and that's cozy, really ;)). it's clearly just digital static and therefore a pity. anyway.

scatcat

Quote from: Oso Blanco on September 20, 2008, 14:10:38

I did not insult anyone. I only posted a quote about the consequences of censorship.

,,,  :roll:  why? ;

1. YOU CREATE TENSION WITHIN THIS CUREFAN SITE: RE: YOUR OBVIOUS DISLIKE OF THE BAND

2. ALTHOUGH WE TOLERATE DIFFERENCE OF OPINIONS, AND CELEBRATE THIS , YOU OBVIOUSLY HATE THIS BAND AND INTENTIONALLY JUST POST , IN ORDER TO P**SS PEOPLE OFF.

3. YOUR INPUT IS TRULY SAD, AND VERY UNORIGINAL.

4. YOU ARE WASTING SPACE, TIME , AND IF YOU DO HAVE ANY TALENTS AT ALL... TAKE THEM ELSEWHERE!!

:twisted:
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Lostflowerboy

What a rubbish. Oso Blanco is a long time member of the cure online community since about 2001/2002. He's always been a critical person towards the band, but also a true fan.