best line up

Started by erpomata, October 05, 2012, 12:34:29

Previous topic - Next topic

erpomata

i don't know if this has been done before, but which is is the best line up of all times?

i think
1 1989 RS SG PT BW ROD   maybe technically the best ever for an intense tour
2 2012 RS SG JC ROD RG    ok i have been listening to these gigs many times and seen live 3 times, it's the most powerful and "happy" line up, and ok jason made a good job. don't hate me  :smth023
3 1996-2004 RS SG JC ROD PB  in the 2000 tour they reached a great mix of skill and power. the longest one, there is a reason i think.

cure must be 5, i didn't like the 4tour even if porl made a great job, but the cure need keyboards.

ciao
M
fortunato il popolo che non ha bisogno di eroi

SidneyCure

1985 all the way (although 1989 spawned their best LP)

RS, PT, LT, BW & SG
Misjudged your limits
Pushed you too far
Took you for granted
I thought that you needed me more
'Boys Don't Cry' is my favourite Cure song but it doesn't mean I'm not a hardcore fan. Disintegration is my favourite LP! The Cure are my favourite band!

dsanchez

The best line-up:

technically speaking (best musicians on stage): Prayer Tour line up

sympathic: Wish Tour (I prefer Perry over Roger)

my personal choice: 1985/1986 line up. Maybe because I watched "In Orange" a hundred times when I was a teenager.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

PicturesOfYou

The 1989's lineup is definitely my favourite, but I really like the 1985's one too  :smth023
I saw this "Pictures of you" video, live in Wembley 1991 and I had goosebumps...

http://youtu.be/kcMEx4OHLOs
There's nothing left but hope...

"Studiare, capire e lavorare sodo per cambiare il mondo"

Birdmad Guy

The Head on the Door era group.  Robert, Lol, Boris, Simon, Porl.

Ikissedyoursmile

Hmm,very tough call. Each lineup i love because everyone adds their own thing. Right now im really loving Reeves. He blows me away in WRONG NUMBER. But then i listened to EOTDGS and i really miss Porls hypnotic rapture. Ya know what i mean? Porls guitar playing takes you somewhere but then it bugs metoo,lol. Too much of it. Im so happy Roger is back. His keyboard skills are fantastic! Well,thats my take on things....

Violator

1996-2004, definitely. I always preferred Perry's guitar-playing to Porl's. The band was so tight and, with the exception of Cooper's mediocre drumming, masters of their instruments

Szigi

01 1989. Robert, Simon, Boris, Porl, Roger.
02 1981-1982. Robert, Simon, Lol
03 1984 :D Robert, Phil, Andy, Porl, Lol

revolt_again

Quote from: Szigi on February 22, 2014, 21:55:11
01 1989. Robert, Simon, Boris, Porl, Roger.
02 1981-1982. Robert, Simon, Lol
03 1984 :D Robert, Phil, Andy, Porl, Lol

Well, I actually think I agree with all of these. The 1989 line-up was the best in terms of technical ability, no doubt. But the 1981-82 line-up played probably the most intense shows, so it's virtually a tie.

MeltingMan

I would say every line up with five members sounds great,but I little prefer the 1984 line up. :)
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

cheyler

I'm finding it impossible to choose, a year ago I could've done it but The Cure has taken up most of my listening time over the past year and each line-up (heard this one before???) has its strong points and weaknesses.  I'm finding the latest line-up a little frustrating, RG is a bit 'metallic/industrial' for the band (I mean effects, not playing) but I do love his chording and solos.  I would love to take RG's whammy bar and weld it to Jason's crash cymbal, encase them in concrete then get Robert Ballard to deposit the whole mess on the ocean floor next to the Titanic.  I'd sleep better.

I love the '84 band for one stupid reason: the effects on that one particular chord Robert plays during Charlotte Sometimes, the up-stroke during the verses.

The 1982 band is special for the raw naked 'whatever' you want to call it.  It's a bit like coming upon one of Jack The Ripper's victims (freshly unwrapped) and staring at it for an hour or so.  Or like Lech Kowalski described a Sex Pistols show in 1978: 'like watching an animal caught in a trap chew its own leg off in order to free itself' (slightly paraphrased).

I can't fault the 1989 band or the 1992 band, each perfect in its own way.

I love (reservedly) the 2000 band, Perry was/is an excellent guitarist but he sticks to the trail and you know what you're gonna get.  His playing in 1992 during 'Open' (live versions) might be my favorite guitar part of all Cure guitar parts however.  The highs/peaks in 2000 seemed more choreographed than previously and don't supply the satisfaction that spontaneity gives.

The 2005-2008 band is dangerously close to toppling the '89-'92 bands from their perches.  My god (as Simon Robinson once said) 'they don't half cook sometimes'.  Are they The Cure?  Is a screaming squalling rock band with no keyboards The Cure?  Porl is and will remain my favorite for his playing and his innate sense of what is right for the song at any given moment.  Plus he seems to be the only member of The Cure ever to have been given total independence, especially during this 2005-08 period.  Jason's on a (very) short leash. Simon may be on a (very) long leash but he's still reined in.  Porl was off the leash, completely free, running around the neighbor's yard and crapping in their flower beds.  And I loved it, every second of it.