2008.10.11 Roma - Piazza S. Giovanni 'Coca Cola MTV Live' (Italy)

Started by erpomata, September 29, 2008, 10:45:29

Previous topic - Next topic

soulmate

Quote from: maluflower on October 13, 2008, 04:49:30
And I think I read Robert said it will be the only time they will play this album? That seems so strange to me. No chance for a tour then? :(
Hope not!!! What I understood is that it would be the only time they'd play the whole album...  :roll: but maybe because I can't wait for a tour and would be very disappointed if there wasn't one...

monghi

i was in Rome at Cure show with my friends... and here´s some photos:

www.thecure.sk/gallery
i never said i would stay to the end

howtheendalwaysis

thanks for posting the pics monghi !!! :smth023 They are cool pics !!! I was in Rome for the concert also, and was very impressed, the new album sounds great, cant wait for the release !!! : :smth041

Lady

Here is a short video that I made during "the walk"...unfortunally I was forced to stop the recording because people pushed too much  :smth011
Anyway I hope you'll enjoy it the same! :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH4p7ijbP70
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

monghi

yeah... during the second part of gig the rowd reminds me a videos from Borrowland 1984 and Orange 1986 ..it was crazy... :)
i never said i would stay to the end

revolt

Quote from: Lady on October 14, 2008, 00:00:44
Here is a short video that I made during "the walk"...unfortunally I was forced to stop the recording because people pushed too much  :smth011
Anyway I hope you'll enjoy it the same! :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH4p7ijbP70

Wow, Lady, it's only 52 seconds but my head is already aching... Pretty avantgard-ish camera moves on that one...  :-D But thanks for the link.  :smth001

Secrets

I'm glad I'm not the only one abstaining!

I listened to a couple of the new tracks once, liked what I heard and that's it. I'll wait the couple of weeks to hear the album fresh and in full stereo polished glory.

revolt

Thanks to the people who provided the links for the concert videos!  :smth023

Well, I've listened to all of it (except the 4 singles) and I think I'm ready to give my first impression. As a whole, this seems to me like one of the most uninspired set of songs The Cure have ever come up with... Maybe even the most uninspired ever? I can't say I'm really disappointed, because all signs until now were not promising at all... Still, some of the "new" new songs are almost shockingly bland.

The good stuff: there's 2 songs (only 2 songs out of 13...  :roll:) that show what The Cure really are capable of: first, "The Hungry Ghost", which has that mix of mood and trippiness that the band does so well... it sounds like nothing new but it has that classic feeling. Second, and most of all, "The Scream", which is a powerful, haunting, dark song, where The Cure really give it all. It's really this album's GREAT song (yeah, every Cure album, however weak, has at least one great song... I was however almost disparaging when listening to this concert, because "The Scream" only comes at number 12). I almost feel that these 2 songs should have been saved for the promised "dark" album, because here they kind of seem out of place, they are almost too good for the general blandness of "4:13 Dream".

On a more general note, I think this is the first time I have REALLY understood how Jason's drumming is really bland. But then most of these songs probably wouldn't merit classier drumming...

NeverForget

I've uploaded a video I made during the concert, it's THE REASONS WHY, so be careful it's a spoiler for those who don't want to hear nothing before the album release ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4JXHP9Bo3U

I was shaking because of the crowd, and in the last part I almost fell!
So, sorry for that, it's not the best video in the world  :-D
STILL RAINING STILL DREAMING...

"no-one will ever take your place
I am lost in you
no-one will ever take your place
so in love with you..."

patitodark

Quote from: revolt on October 14, 2008, 14:25:47
The good stuff: there's 2 songs (only 2 songs out of 13...  :roll:) that show what The Cure really are capable of: first, "The Hungry Ghost", which has that mix of mood and trippiness that the band does so well... it sounds like nothing new but it has that classic feeling.

Totally agree. The Hungry Ghost has that "Cure feeling" we love. But you know what? I strongly believe it's mainly because of the "economical" and hypnotic "Boris Williams' style" Jason plays with. If Jason would play with lots of cymbals as usual and lots of upbeats, hits, toms, etc. (as usual) then the whole feeling of the song would be ruined. But this time he had an acceptable musical taste for the song.

Second, and most of all, "The Scream", which is a powerful, haunting, dark song, where The Cure really give it all.

The Scream reminds me of Forever with the intense part at the end of the song.

On a more general note, I think this is the first time I have REALLY understood how Jason's drumming is really bland. But then most of these songs probably wouldn't merit classier drumming...

Amen to that.

philou (...)

my first post...

what a great show. a little problem with the voice.. autumn... and rain...  great new songs no?

revolt

Quote from: patitodark on October 16, 2008, 03:16:42
The Hungry Ghost has that "Cure feeling" we love. But you know what? I strongly believe it's mainly because of the "economical" and hypnotic "Boris Williams' style" Jason plays with. If Jason would play with lots of cymbals as usual and lots of upbeats, hits, toms, etc. (as usual) then the whole feeling of the song would be ruined. But this time he had an acceptable musical taste for the song.

I like to be fair. I gave that video another watch and, well, I suppose Jason there isn't bad. At least he isn't doing anything that stands out as particularly out of place or damaging to the song. And he seems to be really into it when he's playing, which is always good to see.

And listening to the song for the 3rd time, I really have to confirm that this one has that Cure feeling that pulls you into the song and makes you forget the outside world. I'm not sure if the song itself is great enough to be called a classic, but it has the quality that we should demand from a Cure album track.

patitodark

Quote from: revolt on October 16, 2008, 14:39:01

And listening to the song for the 3rd time, I really have to confirm that this one has that Cure feeling that pulls you into the song and makes you forget the outside world. I'm not sure if the song itself is great enough to be called a classic, but it has the quality that we should demand from a Cure album track.

No. It wont´ turn into a classic for sure, but probably will be considered in my "best of the Jason era" compilation, along with Fake and Jupiter Crash and a couple more songs.

japanesebaby

Quote from: patitodark on October 13, 2008, 00:24:55
You make me remember the days when I also used to refuse hearing a single bit of a new album (besides the singles of course) haha ... GOOD OLD TIMES!

yes, i'm not saving it "for the rainy day" because i thought it was something utterly awesome. i just want to hear the studio version first, be it good or bad. and perhaps i'll even end up being more delighted by the live version then than i'd be now... we'll see.

Quote from: Secrets on October 14, 2008, 13:17:59
I'm glad I'm not the only one abstaining!

I listened to a couple of the new tracks once, liked what I heard and that's it. I'll wait the couple of weeks to hear the album fresh and in full stereo polished glory.

i watched through the encores from the dvd version, just to get a glimpse of the atmosphere of the gig - but i still skipped all of the 4.13 part. :-P
looked like nothing wrong with the atmosphere at the show at least.

some posts here make me curious about the new songs... but i won't give up to temptation. ;)

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Lady

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 18, 2008, 02:00:45

some posts here make me curious about the new songs... but i won't give up to temptation. ;)

:-D
Hey jb, "The hungry ghost", "the reasons why" and "the real snow white" are amazing, you should listen to them!!!! :lol: ;)
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]